Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2876 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:19 am

Fons Rademakers on Eclipse.

Perkins Cobb

#2877 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:19 am

I have all of the Dutch Rademakers DVDs on my kevyip except for De Aanslag, which seems to be impossible to find. So I'll second that.

Alan Smithee

#2878 Post by Alan Smithee » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:47 pm

I think cannon made Love Streams.

kekid

#2879 Post by kekid » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:I have all of the Dutch Rademakers DVDs on my kevyip except for De Aanslag, which seems to be impossible to find. So I'll second that.
The reason, I believe, is that it was the only one issued without English subtitles, so no-one serving English-speaking consumers carried it. (This information based on what I was told by Xploited Cinema, when they were in business.)

raschuette

#2880 Post by raschuette » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Speaking of titles that simply scream for the upgrade to Blu, we need look no further than the collection's Sirk titles. Do we know if Criterion has the Blu rights to those masterworks?

Dona Santa

#2881 Post by Dona Santa » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Sirk would be lovely. I would also like to know if there are any plans for Juliet of the Spirits to go blu? It needs it.

MrGregoryArkadin

#2882 Post by MrGregoryArkadin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I think cannon made Love Streams.
Cannon did distribute Love Streams, I have the rare clamshell VHS. The Golan/Globus team produced it, they also produced Bukowski's Barfly and one of their last was Reggio's Powaqqatsi. They also did Texas Chainsaw 2, with Hopper.

Speaking of the Devil, if any of you want to sign this petition I've got going I'd be really grateful. I didn't think it should be its own thread cuz I wasnt sure if that's allowed or against protocol. Anyways if you would that'd be aces. Thanks!
Last edited by MrGregoryArkadin on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

htshell

#2883 Post by htshell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 pm

In advance of this year's clue, can we recap last year's image and what was released from it?

[img]http://criterion_images.s3.amazonaws.com/current/wackynewyear_2010a.jpg[/img]

The Narrator Returns

#2884 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Everything except Bitter Rice, Wild Strawberries, and Y Tu Mama Tambien. For Bitter Rice and Wild Strawberries, I imagine the delay is a result of searching for new prints. For Y Tu, however, I am unsure of any reason. Maybe Criterion wanted to release IFC titles with no current R1 DVDs before ones that already have discs.

There are also the snowflakes and waves hints, which were never figured out. Maybe Ikiru and Breaking the Waves are coming in 2012 as well.
Last edited by The Narrator Returns on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What A Disgrace

#2885 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Space station - Solaris
Guy hanging off of boat - Cul-de-sac
Strawberry patch - Wild Strawberries (not released)
Sunshine Briefcase - Kiss Me Deadly
Stickup Guy - Carlos
Red circle on Sunday - Le Cercle Rouge and People on Sunday
Knife in Coffee - White Material
Cat in a Sheet Driving the Boat - Kuroneko
Pillow Kid - Zero for Conduct
Leggy Lady - Bitter Rice (not released)
Head in Water - Diaboliques
Leggy Einstein With Ball - Insignificance and The Great Dictator
Mexican sign - Y Tu Mama Tambien, I think? (not released)

I don't know what the snow is for, nor do I know if the waves have any significance.

EDIT: What if the sunshine in the briefcase was a double clue for Secret Sunshine? Huh.

BillWatkins

#2886 Post by BillWatkins » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:56 pm

I thought the snow flakes were for The Makioka Sisters? Also, the waves are probably not a clue; it would look strange to see a boat floating in nothing.

Jeff

#2887 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Possible that The Four Feathers coming out of the pillow were a clue as well.

Hope that they continue this for a third year and Jason Polan is already hard at work. It's already my favorite New Year's tradition! A little suprised that we've already got the first quarter 2012 releases announced and still no sign of Y Tu Mama Tambien, Wild Strawberries, and Bitter Rice. Not to mention The Game, which was supposedly due long ago. When the Blu-ray of Smiles of a Summer Night was announced so soon after the New Year's clue, I wondered if it might be a substitute on the scheduled for Wild Strawberries due to insufficient elements or something.

SpiderBaby

#2888 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Jeff, I asked them a few days ago and they said they are working on a New Years' drawing.

Arthur House

#2889 Post by Arthur House » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:31 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:For Y Tu, however, I am unsure of any reason. Maybe Criterion wanted to release IFC titles with no current R1 DVDs before ones that already have discs.
IIRC, either on facebook or in a message reposted here, a rep for Criterion said the hold-up was due to Alfonso Cuarón being too busy working on his latest film to contribute to new supplements and/or to even sign off on the transfer.

flyonthewall2983

#2890 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:36 am

Realistic hopes: The Game, and Blu-Ray's of Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic by the time of the July sale.

Pipe dreams: Crash, Badlands and any of Michael Mann's work already not on Blu-Ray.

colinr0380

#2891 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Pipe dreams...and any of Michael Mann's work already not on Blu-Ray.
I know we all got hyped up for Thief a little while ago but I have my fingers crossed for the utterly nutty yet compelling film The Keep, if only for the Tangerine Dream score!

AfterTheRain

#2892 Post by AfterTheRain » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Oh, The Keep on Blu-ray from Criterion would be a dream come true! Especially since Paramount is just sitting on it.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#2893 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Does Mann even still like the film? I thought he'd disowned it awhile ago.

ianungstad

#2894 Post by ianungstad » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm

Rumor has it that the version he turned in to Paramount clocked in at 3 hours and the studio whittled it down to 96 minutes. It would be interesting if he would be willing to revisit the film and either restore his original cut or come up with a new one. I've never seen The Keep, so I have no real opinion about the film. It's a project that I think Criterion would love to do if Mann would be on board.

colinr0380

#2895 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:24 pm

AfterTheRain wrote:Oh, The Keep on Blu-ray from Criterion would be a dream come true! Especially since Paramount is just sitting on it.
Knowing my luck Twilight Time would get the rights and put out an excellent Blu-ray (with isolated score, even though it is already overpowering enough anyway!) limited to 3,000 copies, ensuring it would be sold out before I could order it! :roll:

I'm not sure what Mann's views on the film are. It does look kind of odd in his filmography - too quirky and downright weird to be a director-for-hire job, but also seeming rather outside of his usual crime-oriented material. I also wonder whether there might be Bad Timing-style problems in sorting out the soundtrack, especially since the climax of the film is scored to a beautifully eerie and sad, barely recognisable, electronically elongated version of the theme tune to Walking In The Air, which had been written for The Snowman only the year before!

Though I think that The Keep does anticipate the approach later taken in Manhunter, particularly in the way that the overpowering score is becoming the driving force of the action, expressing and amplifying unstated emotions that the characters might even be having difficulty understanding, let alone expressing, and eventually making dialogue unnecessary when it is not drowning it out altogether.

There are also the dualistic goodie/baddie characters (with each crossing over into each other's territory during the course of the film) and strange kind of 'psychic bond' or love link between men and women that crops up again and again in his later films too.

flyonthewall2983

#2896 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Does Mann even still like the film? I thought he'd disowned it awhile ago.
I read somewhere that he has disowned it. If that's the case, I'm fine by it. I have to admit I haven't seen it, and the reviews I've read haven't compelled me to.

My hope of all hopes is that The Insider gets a spine. It's worth stating the reasons again, but it would be a definite improvement on the DVD, which is framed oddly and has about 10 minutes of special features. It would also be the first of Pacino's films in the CC, and certainly worthy as it's him at his wonderful, shouty best. It's also the first shift in Michael's visual style that's lead him to where he is now.

I don't know if CBS would sign off on them using either of the infamous 60 Minutes segments, although I just did see a clip from the film used on a profile of Christopher Plummer on their Sunday Morning program. There is a nice Charlie Rose interview with Mann (you can find a link to it here on the Mann thread here), where Rose comes off as a little defensive since he was working for CBS at the time. A commentary from Michael and some of the other figures involved (maybe Jeffrey Wigand himself) would be great.

MyNameCriterionForum

#2897 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 pm

You guys know The Keep is on Netflix instant, right

Jean-Luc Garbo

#2898 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:38 am

MyNameCriterionForum wrote:You guys know The Keep is on Netflix instant, right
So it is! Time to fill that Tangerine Dream fix.
flyonthewall2983 wrote:A commentary from Michael and some of the other figures involved (maybe Jeffrey Wigand himself) would be great.
I think they'd opt for an interview, but a commentary would certainly be fascinating. What I'm wondering is how they'd get Pacino and Crowe for interviews. I'd imagine that they're too busy of late and that's what would hold up a hypothetical Criterion edition. It'd be a little embarrassing to have no input from the leads, both of whom gave phenomenal performances. In my dreams, we'd have a commentary from Mann and Spinotti and another with Mann, Al, and Crowe. All three are good talkers so I can't see them having little of interest to add. Just getting this on blu would be accomplishment enough, I suppose.

flyonthewall2983

#2899 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:00 am

There's a very good, but short EPK on the DVD with interviews from Al, Russell, and Christopher Plummer. I'm sure what would happen is we'd get the extended versions of those segments for the release.

colinr0380

#2900 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:37 am

I'd agree on The Insider as well - since we are wildly speculating I'm imagining a Criterion edition including The Last Cigarette as an extra feature.