Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.5

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#2226 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Zot! wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:
You know, if you'd have told me 20 years ago, I'd see children walking the streets of our Texas towns with green hair, bones in their noses... I just flat-out wouldn't have believed you.
Signs and wonders. But, I think once you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am," the rest is soon to foller.
Stop trying to paint me some kind of bigotted idiot, you were playing along with the joke until I somehow upset your delicate sensibilites. These are both grown men who look like they wandered off of a Real Housewives set. I have at times found each of their work interesting, and have some limited interest in them as people as a result. If you think one is intrinsicly more beautiful than the other, or deserving of our sympathy, you're welcome to your opinion.
I just am trying to tell you that your transphobic bullshit isn't welcome here in a humorous way - but there it is - your transphobic bullshit isn't welcome here.

matrixschmatrix

#2227 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Zot! wrote: Stop trying to paint me some kind of bigotted idiot, you were playing along with the joke until I somehow upset your delicate sensibilites. These are both grown men who look like they wandered off of a Real Housewives set. I have at times found each of their work interesting, and have some limited interest in them as people as a result. If you think one is intrinsicly more beautiful than the other, or deserving of our sympathy, you're welcome to your opinion.
You should have shut up while you were ahead. Lana Wachowski is not a grown man, she is a woman (who happens to have unusual chromosomes for a woman.) It's both ignorant and intolerant to try to force an equivalency between overdone plastic surgery and being a transperson in the first place, but please don't act like a transphobic asshole and then sound the PC alarm.

andyli

#2228 Post by andyli » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Judging by these 3d packaging shots, On the Waterfront and Sansho Dayu will be digipaks.

Zot!

#2229 Post by Zot! » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:34 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:
Zot! wrote: Stop trying to paint me some kind of bigotted idiot, you were playing along with the joke until I somehow upset your delicate sensibilites. These are both grown men who look like they wandered off of a Real Housewives set. I have at times found each of their work interesting, and have some limited interest in them as people as a result. If you think one is intrinsicly more beautiful than the other, or deserving of our sympathy, you're welcome to your opinion.
You should have shut up while you were ahead. Lana Wachowski is not a grown man, she is a woman (who happens to have unusual chromosomes for a woman.) It's both ignorant and intolerant to try to force an equivalency between overdone plastic surgery and being a transperson in the first place, but please don't act like a transphobic asshole and then sound the PC alarm.
You win, I slipped up. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

captveg

#2230 Post by captveg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 pm

med wrote:Getting back to the Trilogy of Life packaging, why are the films' MPAA ratings included?* I know films licensed from major studios usually have them, but it seems odd here since all three have ratings they didn't originally have upon their respective releases (and, in the case of The Canterbury Lives and Arabian Nights, couldn't possibly have had. And, if you allow me to continue this parenthetical aside just a moment more, I'm surprised—given the MPAA's still-squeamish attitude about sex—that The Decameron got an 'R'!)

*This also brings up the question why MGM ever bothered resubmitting them.
According to filmratings.com (the official MPAA site) all three got their re-ratings in 1991. I'm assuming they had a theatrical re-release at that time and MGM (or whoever may have been the distributor) was uncomfortable using the X rating.

acroyear

#2231 Post by acroyear » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:03 am

Criterion has been honored with another design award. David Plunkert's artwork for Diabolique is highlighted in the pages of this year's PRINT magazine Regional Design Annual. I could not find an online link to share this news, but the magazine is currently on the newsstands (and on page 145 if I am not mistaken). At $30 for the issue all I could afford was to look at it.

I am certain that his work for the Tin Drum will receive similar accolades come awards season next year.

neal

#2232 Post by neal » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:47 am

An article describing the process of creating The Man Who Knew Too Much cover.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2233 Post by cdnchris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:00 am

AfterTheRain

#2234 Post by AfterTheRain » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:06 pm

The artwork for the Qatsi Trilogy really captures the essence of the trilogy beautifully. It has my vote for best artwork for a Criterion release this year.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#2235 Post by jindianajonz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:36 pm

I just noticed that despite the fact that it has an older black case, Schizopolis has some stuff printed on the inside of it's cover (A long, humorous "warning" label.) Are there any other DVDs that have things hidden behind the cover (aside from the obvious ones included on clear DVD cases)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2236 Post by cdnchris » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 pm

When I was taking photos of all of the releases for this site Schizopolis was the only one I came across that had hidden text printed on the inside. None of the other early releases did, that I saw anyways.

zedz

#2237 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:03 pm

How quickly we forget
SpoilerShow
Jimmy crack corn
Though that hidden text wasn't on the back of a cover.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2238 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:07 pm

zedz wrote:How quickly we forget
SpoilerShow
Jimmy crack corn
Though that hidden text wasn't on the back of a cover.
"It renders all other hidden text superfluous, save perhaps the under the barcode scrawlings of Tom Noonan on Fox Lorber's the Wife"
--Ray Carney

mteller

#2239 Post by mteller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Someone posted these elsewhere, dunno what the source is. Seems like a credible batch, though.

ImageImage
ImageImage

warren oates

#2240 Post by warren oates » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:36 pm

If those are real, I like the Bresson and the Lang covers (though the later feels a bit unfinished or sketchy still), but that Badlands cover feels like a joke. I guess it's supposed to be pulp paperback-y but instead it reminds me of those unintentionally funny hand-drawn African movie posters. Ick.

matrixschmatrix

#2241 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

I like them all a lot- definitely both the Lang and the Malick are going for a pulpy feel, but that seems appropriate enough in both cases. The Bresson seems a bit muted, but that's fair enough- and it's appropriately focused on hands performing a task.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2242 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Good lord is that a horrible cover for Badlands. There are approximately one million gorgeous images in that film - and this is what they do?!

flyonthewall2983

#2243 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Would they have been able to use the original poster for Badlands?

knives

#2244 Post by knives » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 pm

The Bresson reminds me of Dryer's Joan a little too much, but I suppose that is appropriate.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2245 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm

If it's indeed March batch, I'm still missing the "Big" release. :|

knives

#2246 Post by knives » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Badlands and Chaplin would count as pretty big though I am unlikely buy either.

SpiderBaby

#2247 Post by SpiderBaby » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:00 pm

"Big" to me would be the WCF releases.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2248 Post by Drucker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 pm

tenia wrote:If it's indeed March batch, I'm still missing the "Big" release. :|
People on Facebook request Badlands 5 times a day for at least two years. For this purpose, this is THE big announcement. And we don't even know how grand the packaging/extras would be.

Saturnome

#2249 Post by Saturnome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 pm

The "big" is obviously Badlands since it's a Warner title. There's still a possibility for some great Eclipse set or amazing extras though!

I like the Ministry of Fear cover...hmm.

matrixschmatrix

#2250 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 pm

I already own three of four of these, but depending on the extras I'm pretty likely to pick up all four. Certainly A Man Escaped is exciting as hell, for me it's Bresson's best film.