Hey, everybody! The Third Man is out of print.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: 64 The Third Man

#76 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:57 am

karmajuice wrote:By coincidence, I bought seven copies of the blu-ray from DVDPacific last night and subsequently totaled my car this morning. If I'm lucky maybe these two events will balance each other in the long run.
Sounds like your karmajuice balanced out nicely.

Tom Hagen

#77 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:22 pm

This is starting to remind me of the news reports from eighteen months ago where people started hoarding 20 pound bags of rice from Costco and Wal Mart.

aox

#78 Post by aox » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:This is starting to remind me of the news reports from eighteen months ago where people started hoarding 20 pound bags of rice from Costco and Wal Mart.
Do you realize how many bags of rice I'll be able to buy after I sell this disc?

Gregory

#79 Post by Gregory » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:59 pm

I would be cautious speculating on something like this even if it's obviously about to become at least a little harder to buy. Big sellers on Amazon will sometimes buy up hundreds of something and sell them at a pretty small profit over a long period of time. That won't necessarily happen with this, but in the worst case scenario it'll be hard for people to make anything on the extra copies they've bought, at least anytime soon.

Erikht

#80 Post by Erikht » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Gregory wrote:I would be cautious speculating on something like this even if it's obviously about to become at least a little harder to buy. Big sellers on Amazon will sometimes buy up hundreds of something and sell them at a pretty small profit over a long period of time. That won't necessarily happen with this, but in the worst case scenario it'll be hard for people to make anything on the extra copies they've bought, at least anytime soon.
Besides, the market for these things are here on this forum, telling each other how many discs they bought.

Napier

#81 Post by Napier » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:08 pm

Erikht wrote:
Gregory wrote:I would be cautious speculating on something like this even if it's obviously about to become at least a little harder to buy. Big sellers on Amazon will sometimes buy up hundreds of something and sell them at a pretty small profit over a long period of time. That won't necessarily happen with this, but in the worst case scenario it'll be hard for people to make anything on the extra copies they've bought, at least anytime soon.
Besides, the market for these things are here on this forum, telling each other how many discs they bought.
Don't fool yourself. If DiCrapio and Spider Man really are remaking this, people who have never seen the original (blasphemers), will pay a pretty penny to get a Criterion Blu-ray.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#82 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Unless this turns out to be like Charade, which was only put out of print long enough to package it with its crappy remake as a bonus feature.

Napier

#83 Post by Napier » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:19 pm

swo17 wrote:Unless this turns out to be like Charade, which was only put out of print long enough to package it with its crappy remake as a bonus feature.
There's no remake on the Criterion re-issue of Charade. Is there?

nsps

#84 Post by nsps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:32 pm

swo17 wrote:Unless this turns out to be like Charade, which was only put out of print long enough to package it with its crappy remake as a bonus feature.
Well, they are remaking The Third Man…

Maybe they want it to be out of print so people don't know what the twist is. ](*,)

Gregory

#85 Post by Gregory » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:08 pm

The Third Man remake is still in the rumor stage, so it'll probably be quite a while before that has much impact on the value of the OOP Criterion.
Napier wrote:
Here. Hurry, everyone -- it's out of print. I'm sure lots of Criterion aficionados will want a copy of The Truth About Charlie, which includes appearances by both Karina and Varda!
Last edited by Gregory on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#86 Post by zedz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:12 pm

Napier wrote:
I think swo's point was that Charade only went out of print briefly so that it could come out as a twofer with its remake (since there was going to be a big gap in the nation's bargain bins about three months out from release).

But I don't think that will be the case with The Third Man. Surely any new rightsholder would realise that this should be a long-term catalogue seller in its own right.

nsps

#87 Post by nsps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Gregory wrote:The Third Man remake is still in the rumor stage, so it'll probably be quite a while before that has much impact on the value of the OOP Criterion.
Napier wrote:
Here. Hurry, everyone -- it's out of print. I'm sure lots of Criterion aficionados will want a copy of The Truth About Charlie, which includes appearances by both Karina and Varda!
Aw, shit. New copies have already been marked up to $3.67. Damned opportunistic gougers.

In other news, my Third Man BD—and my first BD besides the Snow White set I bought before getting a player—just arrived. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Murdoch

#88 Post by Murdoch » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:54 pm

Got my blu today from amazon and it came in a hard case, for anyone who wants to know.

willoneill

#89 Post by willoneill » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:14 pm

After being out of stock ever since the OOP annoucement, Amazon.ca all of a sudden has copies again. 28.99 CDN.

Matt

#90 Post by Matt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:50 pm

The fact that the Rialto box set (and the Essential Art House set) still seems to be in print leads me to think that Criterion lost the rights not to The Third Man itself, but instead to one of the special features. It would be nice if Criterion were more forthcoming on the situation, but I'm sure they're quite happy with the way sales are going on this title right now.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#91 Post by Brian C » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:07 am

Matt wrote:The fact that the Rialto box set (and the Essential Art House set) still seems to be in print leads me to think that Criterion lost the rights not to The Third Man itself, but instead to one of the special features. It would be nice if Criterion were more forthcoming on the situation, but I'm sure they're quite happy with the way sales are going on this title right now.
Wouldn't they simply drop the feature for future printing runs, like they did with the original Seven Samurai disc when Toho objected to the restoration demo? That would make a lot more sense than spiking a popular title (especially wrt the Blu).

HistoryProf

#92 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:48 am

Well i'd been putting this one off since i still had the original CC release and hadn't upgraded yet. the blu is out of stock everywhere I checked on line except Deep Discount, so bit the bullet and ordered it there for $32. that's about $7 more than I can normally justify, but I figure this is as good if not better than a savings account, so screw it. might bight on the SD too if I can get it at the B&N sale. Might be worth checking to see if the local border's still has it tomorrow with their 40% coupon this weekend too.

SuperBlu

#93 Post by SuperBlu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:27 am

Matt wrote:The fact that the Rialto box set (and the Essential Art House set) still seems to be in print leads me to think that Criterion lost the rights not to The Third Man itself, but instead to one of the special features. It would be nice if Criterion were more forthcoming on the situation, but I'm sure they're quite happy with the way sales are going on this title right now.
Maybe Criterion lost the rights to the remastered print but not the old print. I believe Essential Art House has the old print of The Third Man.

willoneill

#94 Post by willoneill » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:53 am

Brian C wrote:Wouldn't they simply drop the feature for future printing runs, like they did with the original Seven Samurai disc when Toho objected to the restoration demo? That would make a lot more sense than spiking a popular title (especially wrt the Blu).
Maybe that's exactly what they are doing. If they lost the rights to that supplement suddenly, as it seems is the case, then it would take some time to re-prepare the title, during which the old version would have to be taken out of print.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#95 Post by Brian C » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:22 pm

willoneill wrote:
Brian C wrote:Wouldn't they simply drop the feature for future printing runs, like they did with the original Seven Samurai disc when Toho objected to the restoration demo? That would make a lot more sense than spiking a popular title (especially wrt the Blu).
Maybe that's exactly what they are doing. If they lost the rights to that supplement suddenly, as it seems is the case, then it would take some time to re-prepare the title, during which the old version would have to be taken out of print.
I guess that's not *impossible* as such, but...

Well, I guess I don't see what the big mystery is here. It's a StudioCanal title. Criterion has lost other high-profile StudioCanal titles to Lionsgate. Why is this not the overwhelmingly most likely explanation?

willoneill

#96 Post by willoneill » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Brian C wrote:I guess that's not *impossible* as such, but...

Well, I guess I don't see what the big mystery is here. It's a StudioCanal title. Criterion has lost other high-profile StudioCanal titles to Lionsgate. Why is this not the overwhelmingly most likely explanation?
I would absolutely agree, except for the fact that the Rialto box (and the Janus box) are still in print. I'm not an expert, but I would think you either have the rights to sell a film, or you don't. But too be fair, I've heard of weirder things, so who knows. And most likely, Criterion won't tell you.

HistoryProf

#97 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:59 pm

FYI: Found a copy of the Blu ray at my local Border's and they have a 40% coupon good till tomorrow - came out to $25 + tax. It is the cardboard case though...which was a bummer.

dad1153

#98 Post by dad1153 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:18 am

HistoryProf wrote:FYI: Found a copy of the Blu ray at my local Border's and they have a 40% coupon good till tomorrow - came out to $25 + tax. It is the cardboard case though...which was a bummer.
That's the one I have (and the one that might ends up becoming a bigger collectable than the now-widely available plastic case) and the one I'm keeping. I don't mind the cardboard packaging as long as the flick inside is any good and in 1080p rez. :)

Matango

#99 Post by Matango » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:23 am

Just ordered the BD from Amazon yesterday as I'm still on the original SD. I see it's out of stock now, with some joker asking $128 for a new copy already.

PillowRock

#100 Post by PillowRock » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:52 am

HistoryProf wrote:FYI: Found a copy of the Blu ray at my local Border's and they have a 40% coupon good till tomorrow - came out to $25 + tax. It is the cardboard case though...which was a bummer.
I did the same thing yesterday, except that if you do the math you'll find that it should be $24 (well, 23.99) plus tax (which, at the local 6% sales tax rate, works out to be $25.45 total).

And it was still the cardboard packaging at my local Borders, too.