Hey, everybody! The Third Man is out of print.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ShellOilJunior

Re: Hey, everybody! The Third Man is out of print.

#152 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:03 pm

I purchased 3 copies but was tipped by Blu-ray.com. They had the news as soon as it hit.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#153 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:37 pm

A little OT but still relevant regarding OOP CCs: why has B&N been selling Contempt? I noticed this during the last sale. Did they discover a cache in a warehouse?

brendanjc

#154 Post by brendanjc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:A little OT but still relevant regarding OOP CCs: why has B&N been selling Contempt? I noticed this during the last sale. Did they discover a cache in a warehouse?
I imagine they just haven't figured out that they aren't getting any more, or they still have it in stock at some stores so they've left the listing in their database to track it. I ordered Nights of Cabiria during the big sale and the ship date is sometime out in December, which I assume means they erroneously think they're getting a shipment but I'll never actually get it and they'll cancel my order eventually. We'll see what happens.

prfgo

#155 Post by prfgo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:29 am

Hi I've just received my 3 copies of The Third Man Blu-Ray, it's my first Blu and my first Criterion! :D
I'm really glad that i've found this thread, i wouldn't have bought it otherwise since i don't have a Blu-Ray player yet. Now i need to start saving for that multi-region Oppo.

Jamesqdot

#156 Post by Jamesqdot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:13 pm

NOOOOO! How did I manage to miss the news that this went out of print? I don't understand. Is there any way I can get hold of a copy of this now or is it completely extinct? :cry:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#157 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:33 pm

If you just want the DVD, Amazon currently has it for just $17.99. If you want the Criterion BD, you are probably going to have to get one second hand at half.com, amazon, or the like. Current going price: $45-50. If you don't have to have the Criterion, I would bet that Studio Canal puts out its own BD sometime in 2010.

fdm

#158 Post by fdm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:45 pm

At this point odds are low that a B&N local store may have a copy, but Borders stores seem to have copies as often as not. Check their websites for availabiltiy. Lots of "likely in store" copies for the latter in my area (though they may be cardboard version). Site says $40.99, the current 30% off coupon expires tonite. ("Store prices may differ from those online".) Looks like B&N dropped their listing for the blu-ray altogether.

Edit: FWIW a new Borders 30% coupon is available for another week.
Last edited by fdm on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jamesqdot

#159 Post by Jamesqdot » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks for the info folks. It looks like I've completely missed the boat for a "new from store" copy then. ](*,) :(

And yes, I was specifically after the BD rather than the DVD (in the digipak packaging if possible - I believe I'm considered somewhat loony for preferring the digipaks to the plastic keep-cases). I'm also in the UK by the way, which doesn't make this any easier. My sister is over in the US at the moment - maybe she can track a copy down in a local store.

tavernier

#160 Post by tavernier » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:27 pm

$29.99 at Amazon (and it's in stock).

UPDATE: Out of stock again.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#161 Post by Caligula » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:25 am

In stock again at Amazon!

Edit: OK, I gave in and bought this, my first blu, even though I don't see myself buying a player in the next year

Morbii

#162 Post by Morbii » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 am

I purchased 2 additional copies with the recent amazon surge, and this time they were the old school version with the digipack case.

Jamesqdot

#163 Post by Jamesqdot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:33 am

Missed it every time. :(

HistoryProf

#164 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:55 pm

why would anyone want a copy of the digipack blu, plastic case blu, and 2 disc SDVD? This goof tried to sell the three together for $120 :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-THIRD-MAN-CRITE ... 414b4317de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's hilarious is half the blu copies on ebay are from B&N....funny how the people you know got it for $13 always try to charge the most. It is pretty clear it's averaging $45+ now though....so get it while you can if it's something you really want.

Jonathan S

#165 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:19 am

HistoryProf wrote:why would anyone want a copy of the digipack blu, plastic case blu, and 2 disc SDVD?
Short-term investor selling to a long-term investor (who will split them). When I used to have a table at record fairs, something might change hands several times during the course of the day, each time for a higher amount, but still end up with a dealer. There were times when I felt there were no collectors who listened to records, only dealers who traded in them.

Mozart

#166 Post by Mozart » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Morbii wrote:I purchased 2 additional copies with the recent amazon surge, and this time they were the old school version with the digipack case.
Mine is the digipak version as well.
My first Blu-ray btw... now I only need a BR-Player! :D

bugsy_pal

#167 Post by bugsy_pal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 pm

It saddens me that folks who love this movie find the need to buy multiple copies of this OOP Bluray and stash them away. Anyway, I bought a copy for myself from ebay for about US$54, even though I've yet to get my Bluray play modified to play region A discs. And I believe the movie will see Bluray release from the UK this year, will it not?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#168 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 pm

It will probably see a US Blu-ray release in the next year or two as well, though I doubt it will be anywhere near as good a release as the Criterion.

jbaart

#170 Post by jbaart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Hey all,

has anyone still got one of his spare copies of this Blu up for sale? I'd be willing to pay $50 incl. shipping to Germany (cheapest shipping method is okay). Just PM me if you'd like to sell a copy, thanks :)

dadaistnun

#171 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 pm

If anyone is still looking for this, don't automatically assume that after all this time you won't find it at a brick & morter: my wife picked up this up at Borders just last weekend (it's the old Blu-digipak version, fwiw).

fdm

#172 Post by fdm » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

dadaistnun wrote:If anyone is still looking for this, don't automatically assume that after all this time you won't find it at a brick & morter: my wife picked up this up at Borders just last weekend (it's the old Blu-digipak version, fwiw).
Per my 12/7 post above. Just checked the other day and 1/2 of my "local" stores are still listed as "likely in store" at Borders.com. (That translates to at least 6 copies still floating around.)

lady wakasa

#173 Post by lady wakasa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:21 pm

I would like to thank the person who suggested going into the local Borders and searching for Third Man copies... because I *just* picked up the last in-store DVD copy at my local Borders this afternoon. ($39.99)

They also had a Blu-Ray copy listed in the computer; but I was just happy to find it, I wasn't even thinking about reselling. (We see how well the reselling bit worked with The Harder They Fall...) Although I *should* have thought about making arrangements with people in here who have been looking for it. (And I'm going cross-country tomorrow afternoon, sorry.)

The people in the store weren't aware that it was OOP; in fact, one said, "I've never ever heard of this." Okay, then.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#174 Post by Brian C » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:05 am

Hey Chicago residents!

The Borders in the Loop (at State and Randolph) had a Blu-ray copy - in a plastic case - this afternoon. I already have a copy, and I didn't want just any asshole picking it up, so I hid it. If you want to go pick it up, it's behind several copies of The Tale of Despereaux in the Blu-ray section on the third floor.

I swear this is not a joke. If you were there looking for it after about 5:15 this afternoon and didn't find it, well, I'm sorry. But I could have bought it myself, and you wouldn't be any worse off than you are now.

bugsy_pal

#175 Post by bugsy_pal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:00 am

Brian C wrote:Hey Chicago residents!

The Borders in the Loop (at State and Randolph) had a Blu-ray copy - in a plastic case - this afternoon. I already have a copy, and I didn't want just any asshole picking it up, so I hid it. If you want to go pick it up, it's behind several copies of The Tale of Despereaux in the Blu-ray section on the third floor.

I swear this is not a joke. If you were there looking for it after about 5:15 this afternoon and didn't find it, well, I'm sorry. But I could have bought it myself, and you wouldn't be any worse off than you are now.
I take my hat off to you - that's very considerate of you. I would go in to Borders and find it, but for 2 reasons: (1) I already have a copy (in cardbaord sleeve), and (2) I am in Australia.