Hey, everybody! The Third Man is out of print.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
HarryLong

Re: 64 The Third Man

#101 Post by HarryLong » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Clearly Borders is more interested in their new venture of selling toys than keeping their DVD stock updated.

PillowRock

Re: 64 The Third Man

#102 Post by PillowRock » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 pm

From a store manager's POV:
If he has had the one copy of a given BluRay on the shelf for a few months, and it hasn't sold, then why should he be in a hurry to order another copy that is identical except for the packaging?

(Why they refuse to order a replacement copy for something where the disk is very obviously bouncing around loose in the case is another issue entirely. That one does bother me at times.)

Perkins Cobb

Re: Hey, everybody! The Third Man is out of print.

#103 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:17 pm

The Digital Bits wrote:I've confirmed with the folks at Criterion that their rights to Carol Reed's The Third Man have expired, and so for now the recent DVD and Blu-ray versions are to be considered out-of-print. That means those copies that are now on stores shelves or happen to be sitting in the warehouse are all that's left. (You can click on the links to order from Amazon while supplies last.) So if you want either version, grab 'em fast while you still can.

Murdoch

#104 Post by Murdoch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:16 pm

I hate to be that guy but a heads up on availability: on amazon the used copies of the blu have sold out and the lowest-priced new copy is about $50.

Gregory

#105 Post by Gregory » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:28 pm

I guess the discussion about how safe it was for folks to buy up copies in order to resell turned out to be pretty much moot because it was apparently difficult to get even small orders fulfilled, let alone the huge orders that the most intrepid speculators sometimes place in situations like this. I saw it go out of stock extremely rapidly at a few sites while I was waiting for my own personal copy from DVD Pacific. I ordered it well before it showed up as "on order," but they've sat on my order for almost a week, so now it seems doubtful that it will ship.
Update: They made a liar out of me and shipped it. :)
Last edited by Gregory on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Napier

#106 Post by Napier » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:44 pm

I was lucky to get 2 copies off of Amazon, and they are "lost in the mail". :evil:
Last edited by Napier on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavernier

#107 Post by tavernier » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:46 pm

I bet some intrepid postal employee who visits this board "intercepted" your package.

Perkins Cobb

#108 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:03 pm

tavernier wrote:intrepid postal employee
Oxymoron.

bearcuborg

#109 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:26 pm

All of this is a waste of money. I bought two by the way...

GringoTex

#110 Post by GringoTex » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 pm

Napier wrote:I was lucky to get 2 copies off of Amazon, and they are "lost in the mail". :evil:
I'll sell you one of the ten I bought and received for only $100!

ShellOilJunior

#111 Post by ShellOilJunior » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Amazon marketplace prices are now starting at $49.99

Also, now sold out from DeepDiscount.

Looks like this one is becoming very hard to find for retail.

I was fortunate to get 3 copies from Amazon but I may stop by a local bookstore just for the thrill of finding a copy on the shelves.

eljacko

#112 Post by eljacko » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:12 pm

My copy arrived in the mail today - I only got one, which may have been a mistake or something.

I'm feeling rather silly right now, because I want to open it and watch it (I have never actually seen the film) but some part of me also wants to keep it wrapped to increase its value #-o

but hey at least mine arrived!

Zazou dans le Metro

#113 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 pm

eljacko wrote:My copy arrived in the mail today - I only got one, which may have been a mistake or something.

I'm feeling rather silly right now, because I want to open it and watch it (I have never actually seen the film) but some part of me also wants to keep it wrapped to increase its value #-o

Either rip it open and watch the fucker or add a double ff to the end of your name.

LQ

#114 Post by LQ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Zazou dans le Metro wrote:
eljacko wrote:My copy arrived in the mail today - I only got one, which may have been a mistake or something.

Either rip it open and watch the fucker or add a double ff to the end of your name.
=D>

eljacko

#115 Post by eljacko » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Zazou dans le Metro wrote:Either rip it open and watch the fucker or add a double ff to the end of your name.
Hahah, I did after my last post. I actually hate the "collectathon" sub-culture and try to avoid it, but can't help but get caught up a little in the madness going on with this new OOP status.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#116 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Just leave it sealed and borrow a library's copy. Curiosity satisfied. Case closed.

Murdoch

#117 Post by Murdoch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Some joker named aox is selling his blu copy for $999. I wonder if he frequents this forum :-"

aox

#118 Post by aox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:36 pm

haha I knew someone would see that. My girlfriend and I are (playfully) arguing about this whole debacle. She thinks this whole thing is ridiculous.. in a sort of dare, I am trying to prove her wrong. I know damn well no one will purchase it.
I am sure my copy will be under my bed for a few years and will sell realistically much much less.

willoneill

#119 Post by willoneill » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:44 pm

GringoTex wrote:I'll sell you one of the ten I bought and received for only $100!
I hope you feel good about yourself. I mean, is ten necessary? Aren't there better ways of making a little money besides unnecessarily driving up the price of blu-ray, of all things?

Matango

#120 Post by Matango » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Here we go. I just got a "We're still trying to obtain the following item[s] you ordered" from Amazon, though I ordered a week ago.

"Still want it? We'll keep on trying." Oh really? Thank you very much. Very kind. ](*,)

HistoryProf

#121 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:50 pm

huh...when i first saw this over the weekend I ordered a blu from Deep Discount before I realized my local border's had it. i sent a cancellation request five minutes after placing the DD order since I got it at borders for $25 instead of $32...but they said it was already on the way so they couldn't cancel it when they finally got to it yesterday, and today i got an email saying it shipped.

So it looks like i'll end up with two...curious to see if the DD copy has the plastic case - which I prefer. considered returning it, but that would probably be unwise at this point ;)

Saturnome

#122 Post by Saturnome » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:51 pm

GringoTex wrote:I'll sell you one of the ten I bought and received for only $100!
And BAM all new ultimate edition of The Third Man with the super secret alternative ending filmed by Orson Welles.

Blood Pie

#123 Post by Blood Pie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 pm

My local B&N in Denver had a copy of the clear case edition. I doubt it will last through the sale or even make it to the sale.

Rick

#124 Post by Rick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Its up up for order again at amazon for $29.99 hurry before the speculators grab all that's left of this.

aox

#125 Post by aox » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Rick wrote:Its up up for order again at amazon for $29.99 hurry before the speculators grab all that's left of this.
no it isn't. That is from the Marketplace (independent seller).