MoC Facebook & Twitter

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Eureka

Re: MoC Facebook & Twitter

#101 Post by Eureka » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:Yes, presumably genuinely OOP stock wasn't being stored there, on the grounds that it was no longer sellable.
Absolutely correct.

The items on that page as well as the Lubitsch box set were held at Eureka. As well as a bunch of other stock but all quite low levels so I had to close the blu page down for a bit until we get stock in.

doc mccoy

#102 Post by doc mccoy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm planning to order some dvds/blus online - which couple of titles could really use the business? (Other labels could also chime in).

peerpee
not perpee

#103 Post by peerpee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Many thanks! --

I'm constantly surprised by the poor sales of a number of titles I would have thought might have done better. Off the top of my head: SALESMAN, GENERAL IDI AMIN, F FOR FAKE, TARTUFFE, MURIEL, and BELLISSIMA.

Post-Sony DADC fire, we're hoping to have the bulk of our catalogue up and running again in time for Christmas -- but some titles are now gone forever, such as the NARUSE box.

Der Spieler

#104 Post by Der Spieler » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 pm

"F for Fake" is a real surprise. I don't own "Muriel" and "Bellissima", but I have all the others, including the now forever lost Naruse box set, which is by the way one of the crown jewels of my DVD collection. I feel sorry for those who waited too long to order it.

doc mccoy

#105 Post by doc mccoy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Just ordered F for Fake; now it's a toss up between Tartuffe and Bellissima, as I've already got General Idi and Muriel.

I'm sorry to hear about Muriel - although it took me more than one watch to appreciate it, it's now one of my favourite MoC's which I tend to rewatch quite a bit.

Saturnome

#106 Post by Saturnome » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:32 pm

With the many crazy deals on the Naruse box set, I hope nobody missed it.

Any other possibility of OOP titles because of the fire?

matrixschmatrix

#107 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:34 pm

peerpee wrote:Many thanks! --

I'm constantly surprised by the poor sales of a number of titles I would have thought might have done better. Off the top of my head: SALESMAN, GENERAL IDI AMIN, F FOR FAKE, TARTUFFE, MURIEL, and BELLISSIMA.

Post-Sony DADC fire, we're hoping to have the bulk of our catalogue up and running again in time for Christmas -- but some titles are now gone forever, such as the NARUSE box.
I wonder if three of those are due to the competing Criterion releases? I have your release in all three cases- I double dipped on F for Fake- but it seems like you guys sell a lot to the US.

I'm really mad at myself for not picking up that Naruse box when it was ultra cheap in some of your direct sales- and now I don't have the money to get one of amazon.uk's three remaining copies.

peerpee
not perpee

#108 Post by peerpee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:41 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I wonder if three of those are due to the competing Criterion releases? I have your release in all three cases- I double dipped on F for Fake- but it seems like you guys sell a lot to the US.
It's not the reason. GREY GARDENS and FOR ALL MANKIND are 'healthy'. Wish I knew why some of these don't perform like other comparable titles. I think them all being in the MoC Series helps -- they'd do worse if they weren't in some kind of identifiable series, benefiting from cross-association.

peerpee
not perpee

#109 Post by peerpee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Saturnome wrote:Any other possibility of OOP titles because of the fire?
We're slowly going through everything at the moment. There will undoubtedly be more OOPs... we're updating the forthcoming print catalogue to contain the very latest info on all this... and the forthcoming Dual Format editions of the Blu-rays too.

eerik

#110 Post by eerik » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:15 pm

I bought Criterion's "For All Mankind" from B&N sale in November 2009 but later I also bought your release. Just to support you (and for the completeness sake).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#111 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 am

Following the SONY DADC fire some titles in the @mastersofcinema series available on DVD & BD will be replaced with a single Dual Format: SUNRISE, CITY GIRL, PROFOUND DESIRES OF THE GODS, THE BURMESE HARP, WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER?, LA PLANETE SAUVAGE, FOR ALL MANKIND, TOKYO SONATA, MAD DETECTIVE, UNE FEMME MARIEE, MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW, and THE WORLD will all have Dual Format editions released eventually! (and VENGEANCE IS MINE and M). The separate DVD and separate BD editions will cease to be.

Der Spieler

#112 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 pm

There goes our chance of getting them at discount during a sale. :P

Mozart

#113 Post by Mozart » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Following the SONY DADC fire some titles in the @mastersofcinema series available on DVD & BD will be replaced with a single Dual Format: SUNRISE, CITY GIRL, PROFOUND DESIRES OF THE GODS, THE BURMESE HARP, WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER?, LA PLANETE SAUVAGE, FOR ALL MANKIND, TOKYO SONATA, MAD DETECTIVE, UNE FEMME MARIEE, MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW, and THE WORLD will all have Dual Format editions released eventually! (and VENGEANCE IS MINE and M). The separate DVD and separate BD editions will cease to be.
Thus SOUL POWER is the only one not getting a Dual Format?

peerpee
not perpee

#114 Post by peerpee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Currently no plans for that one.

What A Disgrace

#115 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Any plans on special packaging for Sunrise, allowing for a printed version of that large book, otherwise only available as a PDF?

peerpee
not perpee

#116 Post by peerpee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Ideally, we'd like to do special packaging on TOUCH OF EVIL and put out a 128 page book with it. Lord knows we have enough wonderful vintage reprints - but it's just not prudent at this time, and neither is it for SUNRISE. We have to be careful where we splash the extravagance -- and right now, it's all being spent on HD restoration work, I'm afraid.

Finch

#117 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I much prefer the transparent keepcases of the dual editions to the standard blue keepcases. Can anyone recommend a store that sells those?

edit: found them on ebay!
Last edited by Finch on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#118 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Is Touch of Evil and other new releases still on schedule? Has their timeline changed? Just curious...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#119 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Drucker has become our new rrenault. All questions, no answers.

*sips from snifter arrogantly*

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#120 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:04 pm

It is perhaps a valid question though since for all we know MoC staff are still on strike.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#121 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Oh, it is. I was just commenting in general.

RossyG

#122 Post by RossyG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:21 am

peerpee wrote:I'm constantly surprised by the poor sales of a number of titles I would have thought might have done better. Off the top of my head: SALESMAN, GENERAL IDI AMIN, F FOR FAKE...
As a fan of documentaries all I can say is bah! All three discs are superb, too.

And yet millions of adults will buy Transformers 3. ](*,)

doc mccoy

#123 Post by doc mccoy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:04 am

Really like the cover art for the TOE steel on HMV - one slight concern I have with steelbooks though is that the brackets are not strong enough to supoort the booklet; one of them broke off on my Metropolis steel.

Flanell

#124 Post by Flanell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Does anybody know about the status of Punishment Park? Is it going OOP?
Been waiting for this particular title to come up during one of Eureka's sales for some time now. The price on amazon.co.uk is pretty high at the moment.

peerpee
not perpee

#125 Post by peerpee » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Nobody needs to pay high prices for PUNISHMENT PARK. Please be patient!