Non-MoC Eureka Titles

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
skeets kelly

Re: Non-MoC Eureka titles?

#251 Post by skeets kelly » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:25 pm

am i the only one excited about the adventures of mark twain blu-ray?

manicsounds

#252 Post by manicsounds » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:04 pm

I somehow missed the news of "Mark Twain" on BD. Lots of extras on it too. here's a review

Vito

#253 Post by Vito » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 am

One Guilty of Romance bluray review implied Eureka might be releasing a special edition with the longer cut. Hope we get some more info on this.

antnield

#254 Post by antnield » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:17 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:Very nice to see a Jasper Sharp commentary on there!
The commentary is on the DVD version as well, correct?
Review of the DVD at The Digital Fix. It confirms that all content is identical to the Blu-ray, including the Sharp commentary.

manicsounds

#255 Post by manicsounds » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:17 am

Ozu Teapot

#256 Post by Ozu Teapot » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I've just received Eureka's Hanzo The Razor set from Amazon and was surprised to find the three discs and fat booklet housed in a single DVD case in a cardboard box/sleeve rather three individual cases as with the Female Prisoner Scorpion set. I'm sure it was originally a three box set.

I'm not complaining as I'm running out of shelf space as it is so smaller is probably better (although I've probably "lost" some cool artwork from the original box/sleeve and cases), but I was curious as to whether this was a new re-release or if it's been in this form for some time.

(Edited to say that I've just realised the fat booklet seems to be the three individual booklets from the original release compiled into a single volume...)

Dick Laurent

#257 Post by Dick Laurent » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:40 am

I also received it like that about a month ago, was a bit sad about the loss of artwork, it saves space but the package is a bit bulky, it's hard to close the case. It was out of print for a while after the fire last year, so I guess this is the re-release from after that incident.

Ozu Teapot

#258 Post by Ozu Teapot » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 pm

That sounds most likely.

At least it's still a great package even aside from the films themselves. I could imagine a lesser company doing a much more bare-bones re-release but here you still have all the information from the original booklets and a nice slipbox.

Cronenfly

#259 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 am

Can't see it getting the MoC treatment, but Eureka is handling Antonio Campos' Simon Killer, if this trailer is to be believed.

Finch

#260 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 am

EddieLarkin

#261 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 pm

I wonder what ever happened to a Lone Wolf & Cub Blu-ray upgrade. I was sure it was going to come soon after the Shogun Assassin Blu-ray (which looks great going by the caps). AnimEigo completely ballsed up their Blu-ray release of Lone Wolf & Cub, I'd much rather see a proper release from Eureka. Eureka releases seemed to die off in 2012, perhaps they had their hands full with all the MoC Universal stuff. It's too bad, the additional titles really complimented the MoC series well.

peerpee
not perpee

#262 Post by peerpee » Fri May 10, 2013 5:43 am

I oversaw a ton of Eureka releases (JUNEBUG, LONE WOLF box, HANZO box, BAD BOY BUBBY, SHOGUN ASSASSIN, WIZARDS, BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH, PRINCE VALIANT, PARANOIAC, etc etc) in order to try and lift the technical quality of the Eureka titles to MoC levels, avoiding the schoolboy errors that had been creeping into Eureka titles prior to this. MoC folk worked on all these.

It became a ridiculous stretch to do these and MoC titles at the same time, so I decided it was more important to focus purely on MoC, instead of spreading ourselves too thinly. It takes an awful lot of time and effort to produce titles without error – which is why so many labels mess up.

MichaelB

#263 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 am

peerpee wrote:It takes an awful lot of time and effort to produce titles without error – which is why so many labels mess up.
Indeed it does - I've been doing the QC on Arrow's Mario Bava releases (Black Sunday onwards - Bay of Blood was before my time), and they each involved a huge amount of work, with multiple versions of each film, multiple sets of subtitles (Italian translation, English SDH for the European cut, English SDH for the AIP cut), a commentary, a shedload of extras, you name it. Oh, and two formats to contend with, thus doubling the workload, although this did at least mean that all the subtitle tracks got two complete passes before being signed off.

And in every single instance I spotted several mistakes that were thankfully easily fixable but which nonetheless managed to get through the production and authoring process almost to the final signing-off stage - in fact, I think I've done just one QC job where I really couldn't spot anything untoward, but I'd best not name it here in case I was wrong! (It was a vastly simpler disc in terms of content and authoring than any of these, so there was very little to go wrong.)

eerik

Re: Non-MoC Eureka titles

#265 Post by eerik » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:39 am

Finally for January 2015, in the Eureka Classics series Bill Gunn’s revolutionary GANJA & HESS, Dual Format 26 Jan

Robert Mulligan's psychological horror film THE OTHER to be released in a Dual Format edition as part of the Eureka Classic Series in 2015

EddieLarkin

#266 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:32 am

EddieLarkin wrote:Wow! Since he put it out on DVD back in the day, we'll maybe get a new Kalat commentary.
•Beautiful high-definition transfer of the film restored by MoMA and The Film Foundation
•Feature-length commentary with producer Chris Schultz, lead actress Marlene Clark, cinematogropher James Hinton and composer Sam Waymon
•The Blood of the Thing - A interview based documentary on the film with David Kalat
Select scene commentary with David Kalat
•24-page booklet featuring a new essay by critic and author Kim Newman and a vintage letter written by Gunn to the New York Times, illustrated with archival images

The documentary is from Kalat's old DVD, as is the commentary (called Ganja & Hess Reduced on that disc). I didn't realise that was a commentary though, so this is almost like new to me!

FrauBlucher

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#267 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:54 am

Dr Amicus

#268 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:16 am

Oohh, interesting choice. It was on the Legend Double Bill with The Skull - OK picture quality but easily improvable and lacking in anything vaguely resembling an extra. It's a minor Hammer admittedly, epecially as it's in the middle of the first batch of masterpieces, but there is much of interest and well worth catching. I'm hoping for some interesting extras - somebody needs to get David Pirie to contribute some new writing on Hammer / Fisher.

RossyG

#269 Post by RossyG » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:37 am

And the Skull is being released by Eureka as well on 26/10/15.

Dr Amicus

#270 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:38 am

RossyG wrote:And the Skull is being released by Eureka as well on 26/10/15.
I hoped they might considering the Legend Blu Ray combined both. This is one of Amicus's best films - only Scream and Scream Again of their non-anthologies is superior I think. It's also one of Freddie Francis's very best as director - and probably his finest for Amicus. I'll have to dig out my old thesis to remind myself what I wrote about it - but I can remember Paul Jensen's book The Men Who Made The Monsters has the most interesting analysis of Francis as a director.

John Doe

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

#271 Post by John Doe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:19 am

Robinson Crusoe on Mars coming November 23

eerik

#272 Post by eerik » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:14 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#273 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:09 am

I don't even know if it's worth making a thread for, but Eureka's releasing a Blu-ray set of the first season of the Wolf Creek TV series, which is apparently a thing, along with Stigmata and Jinnah

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#274 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:16 am

I believe the Wolf Creek TV Series is a actually a one-shot 6-episodes thingy.

rapta

#275 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 am

Strangely they're not releasing Wolf Creek: The Complete First Series on a Monday - which is generally the standard here in the UK for visual media, unless it's music-related - and are instead releasing it 2 days after the finale finishes on Fox UK. Reviews from Australia are apparently mixed, but I'd like to check it out at some point (might not call myself a 'fan' of the original film but John Jarrett is certainly a worthy talent). Interesting they're starting to do TV series' on Blu-ray, and not just DVD.

Stigmata, on the other hand, looks terrible. It's on Netflix UK at the moment so I might check it out when I'm up for watching something terrible with good actors in it. For a laugh.

Jinnah looks interesting, and I wonder if it'll be MoC or Eureka Classics. I reckon the latter, but you never know. Christopher Lee certainly thought it was his best work, but obviously it has been hard to get to see it until now.

They also announced the recent acquisition of a Spanish film called The Olive Tree, which I assume will be a regular Eureka title too (like the upcoming Aloys), but that won't be out 'til early 2017 apparently.

PS: it's a shame we haven't had any real 'Eureka Classics' titles for a while now. Perhaps they didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, or they just got tied up in contractual stuff with studios and had a significantly worse list to pick from (hence Stigmata).