69 Alone Across the Pacific

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
dad1153

Re: 69 Alone Across the Pacific

#26 Post by dad1153 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Caught a theatrical screening of "AATP" at NYC Film Forum's Tribute to Taru Takemitsu. My third Ichikawa film after "The Burmese Harp" and "Fires on the Plain" (the former bored me to tears and the latter I just didn't like at all). If there is a criticism of Japanese society in ths film (pretty much everyone tries to supress Horie's individualism) it's subtle-enough and wrapped neatly around a picturesque and semi-comical portrayal of a lonely dreamer obsessed with doing what he's told he can't do (by his friends, family and country). Since the story is predictable (the voice-overs give away early Horie's going to make it) the quirky character study of someone that should be unlikable (to this guy his family is just the means to his ultimate end, no feelings whatsoever) makes for some interesting backdrop during the flashbacks to the great scope photography. A handful of shots are clearly models and/or photography tricks, but never in a silly "Godzilla" way. Takemitsu's score is OK, sometimes emphasizing the isolation (constantly repeating single drum) and other times getting jiggy with some peppy beats. Yûjirô Ishihara's acting makes you understand why Horie was the way he is portrayed here (great work too by Kinuyo Tanaka as the too-tolerant mother) and, in the movie's best scenes (too many to mention), turns potential tragic or drama content into laugh-out loud comedy in which we laugh with (not at) the lead character. That "AATP" culminates with Horie's detachment being the same in San Francisco as it was when he was sitting with mom & sis at their dinner table (and with his father at his shop) shows he has learned nothing (neither does the apologetic family apparently), remains unchanged and is still the same lovable loser as before. The Ocean of space between him and his Japanese friends/family that was there in his life is still there even after the feat of crossing the real deal. Perfect.

manicsounds

#27 Post by manicsounds » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:06 am

Sucks that none of the Ichikawa films you've seen so far has grabbed you in any way, dad1153.
I've always been hoping for his 2 "Inugamis" films to be released officially in the west by someone like MoC or Criterion, but so far nothing. I know those 2 would be the ones to grab you and keep you fascinated...

For me, the best part of Ichikawa's films is that he delved into so many genres, many styles, and it was difficult to pinpoint exactly what made an Ichikawa film. One of my favorites, as you just don't exactly know what to expect.

manicsounds

#28 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:12 am

Well, it's definitely somewhat inspired by the film, Japanese comedian Kanpei Hazama sails and runs around the world and finally came home to Osaka, taking 2 years and 1 month all the way around.