70 The Devil and Daniel Webster

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
MichaelB

Re: 70 The Devil and Daniel Webster

#26 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:09 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:I'm curious how many people walk around with their MoC & CC books in their knapsacks so they can access them anytime?
Well, I do - I normally watch the main feature during the long train-based bit of my commute, and read the book on the bus during the final stretch. And I'm always getting discs and booklets separated - I have a huge pile of the latter in my office at any given moment, especially if they've got useful reference material.
I think the poster's point was relatively obvious-- film is film, and to engage with deleted scenes, alternate takes, interviews, etc, one can sit back and relax and engage visually with this visual medium, rather than the purely textual writings & descriptions of a critic.

Yes, but it depends entirely on the individual release. For instance, I really don't think the BFI's documentary sets would benefit from additional video materials - for starters, they'd mostly have to be created from scratch (they generally didn't shoot production featurettes of GPO and Crown Film Unit documentaries, and even promotional stills are hard to come by), so really meaty booklets are clearly the most sensible way to go - especially in the GPO set's case, as they reproduce some gorgeous original advertising artwork at a higher resolution than you'd get on disc.

If you can pull video extras off the shelf, that's great - but whenever I produce a DVD I have to decide whether or not a particular extra is better suited to print or video, and whether I can justify the cost of creating the latter from scratch. That said, I've been lucky enough to be allowed to combine meaty books AND generous video extras, at least so far - but this may not be the case with future projects, and contributing to a Second Run release a few months ago gave me a valuable insight into the world of practically zero-budget DVD production.
I'd guess that there are some people who like a mix of reading material and video stuff-- some people hate reading, that's no mystery, though I can't claim this myself. I hardly engage with extras, period. But there's nothing wrong with a good video piece, when you're dealing with film.
I completely agree, but there's a lot wrong with a mediocre or downright bad video piece, and I've seen so many of those that I tend to become jaded. At least with a printed essay you can generally skim it quickly and decide in a matter of seconds whether it's worth your time!

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with Jonathan Rosenbaum when he denounced commentaries as "lazy, free-form, drifting essays that only intermittently relate to what one’s watching at any given moment" - there are plenty of exceptions, but they tend to be the ones that a great deal of care and effort and money has been spent on, and there are few things more tedious than a commentary by someone who either isn't engaging with the medium at all or who has a few interesting things to say but nowhere near enough to justify 100 minutes of waffling.

fiddlesticks

#27 Post by fiddlesticks » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:30 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:I asked because, tempted as I am to do so too (for, like you, the films that really sweep me away) I'm too fetishistic over CC's & Moc's to carry that stuff around. I've been wanting to read The Furies, for example, but I just can't treat it like a Book book.
I read The Man Who Fell to Earth during the halftimes of a few week's worth of basketball games a couple of seasons ago. The Furies is on my must-read list for this season. The small size of the DVD-extra books and booklets make them easy to tote around to just about anyplace. I guess I wouldn't mind too much if the book got a few signs of wear, since I'm not likely to resell a DVD I like enough to read the book, and I could actually fit TMWFTE in my jeans pocket (although I usually carry books and such from gym to gym in a tote bag.) Excluding short films, books (i.e. novels) are my favorite DVD extra.
MichaelB wrote:I normally watch the main feature during the long train-based bit of my commute [...]
That's some commute!

ogtec

#28 Post by ogtec » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:59 am

HerrSchreck wrote:I'm curious how many people walk around with their MoC & CC books in their knapsacks so they can access them anytime?
Not quite the same thing, but I tend to read the books/booklets in bed or else lounging around elsewhere. They're certainly more accessible in that sense, rather than having to sit in front of the TV.

I see the booklets and the on-disc supplements as being two separate things; occasionally complimentary but ultimately serving a different purpose. I like on-disc supplements, but tend to value the books/booklets more given their rarity amongst DVD producers and the quality of the MoC product.

George

colinr0380

#29 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:53 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:I'm too fetishistic over CC's & Moc's to carry that stuff around. I've been wanting to read The Furies, for example, but I just can't treat it like a Book book.
I've actually been having the same problem with the Six Moral Tales book. I don't want to run the risk of it getting messed up in my bag so I don't take it with me on my train journeys to work (though it also helps that I'm reading the J.G. Ballard collected short stories, each the perfect length for a return trip and providing a nice brain workout after a boring day!)

(And I managed to read all of The Man Who Fell To Earth over a few hours one afternoon at work when a power cut made using a computer impossible!)

zone_resident

#30 Post by zone_resident » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Matt

#31 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:34 pm

That's an ace chapters menu. Nice work, Nick!

Finch

#32 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Seeing the screencaps and the fantastic menu design makes me all the more glad that I held off buying the Criterion. I also prefer MoC's choice of issuing the short story in print over Criterion's on-disc reading (even if it's Alec Baldwin). Have had the film on pre-order for months but now I can hardly wait.

Nick, can I just say I hope this won't be MoC's last classical Hollywood release? More Dieterle (Warner's old disc of Hunchback is good but I'd give my left arm for a MoC version) would be most appreciated.

SoyCuba

#33 Post by SoyCuba » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:16 pm

DVD Times review.

JonathanM

#34 Post by JonathanM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm reviewing this for March's Videovista and can definitely confirm the hissing problem. At times I had to turn the TV all the way up to make out what was being said. The picture quality is superb, aside from a few scenes in which the quality dips, and the film itself is an incredibly eccentric and hokey look at a world of popular leftist politics that simply no longer exists in American politics.

Any film that suggests that mortgage-brokers are much like the devil in that they are in the business of enslaving men with debt has got to be considered timely :-)

peerpee
not perpee

#35 Post by peerpee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:01 pm

JonathanM wrote:At times I had to turn the TV all the way up to make out what was being said.
Having seen this disc numerous times, I really don't think the sound is as bad as is being made out -- and if you really can't understand what's being said, there's always the English SDH subtitles which we've included on this release.

JonathanM

#36 Post by JonathanM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:18 pm

peerpee wrote:Having seen this disc numerous times, I really don't think the sound is as bad as is being made out -- and if you really can't understand what's being said, there's always the English SDH subtitles which we've included on this release.
I could use sub-titles. It would be no bother. In fact, why bother with an audio track at all? or pictures for that matter. In fact, instead of a DVD we could have a vague summary of the plot written on the back of an empty fag packet and that should really be adequate for anyone.

I don't normally raise technical issues like sound quality in reviews and I've never had a problem with MoC's sound before but, as I said, I had to have the TV on full to make out what was being said at certain times. Doubtless people who watch with headphones or with huge great coffin-sized speakers would not have the same problems I did but compared to other MoC releases (let alone releases of contemporary films), the sound quality on the DVD was decidedly murky.

Tommaso

#37 Post by Tommaso » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 pm

I haven't seen the MoC of course, but I remember that the CC sound was somewhat problematic (at least for me as a non-native speaker) as well. It's obviously a source problem, like with many films from the 30s and even 40s. I find the idea of switching on the subs at least on first-time viewing a good one, and am always grateful when companies provide subs in the original language, too. I don't think audio restoration would have been much of a help here.

fiddlesticks

#38 Post by fiddlesticks » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:48 pm

JonathanM wrote:
peerpee wrote:Having seen this disc numerous times, I really don't think the sound is as bad as is being made out -- and if you really can't understand what's being said, there's always the English SDH subtitles which we've included on this release.
I could use sub-titles. It would be no bother. In fact, why bother with an audio track at all? or pictures for that matter. In fact, instead of a DVD we could have a vague summary of the plot written on the back of an empty fag packet and that should really be adequate for anyone.
You forgot to call him "cumstain."

peerpee
not perpee

#39 Post by peerpee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:33 pm

JonathanM wrote:I could use sub-titles. It would be no bother. In fact, why bother with an audio track at all? or pictures for that matter. In fact, instead of a DVD we could have a vague summary of the plot written on the back of an empty fag packet and that should really be adequate for anyone.
Jonathan, your wit is intense!

JonathanM

#40 Post by JonathanM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:16 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:You forgot to call him "cumstain."
He suggested I was deaf.

tojoed

#41 Post by tojoed » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:19 pm

peerpee wrote:...there's always the English SDH subtitles which we've included on this release.

I'm glad to see them, Nick. It was a major reason for my getting this disc as I need SDH subtitles. If only some of the larger companies, like Optimum, would follow suit they might get even more of my money than they do now.

JonathanM

#42 Post by JonathanM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:33 pm

JonathanM wrote:He suggested I was deaf.
Considering the imperfections of text only communication, I realise that he probably didn't mean his message to come across as "well I've never had a problem with the sound, maybe there's a problem with your hearing" but that's how I took it on first reading. Apologies if this was not the intended meaning,

Finch

#43 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Nick, thank you for bringing this film to R2. It's the first time I've seen it and I was very impressed. I was intrigued to see the connection to Citizen Kane (both financed by RKO, Robert Wise and and Bernard Herrmann working on both pictures), and to read in Tony Williams' excellent essay that Anne Shirley's looks were a homage of sorts to Janet Gaynor in Sunrise; when I first saw Shirley I immediately thought of Gaynor and wondered if this was intentional on Dieterle's part. Love Edward Arnold in this but the performances are very good to excellent across the board (Walter Huston was superb and so was Jane Darwell as Ma Stone, so much so that she's piqued my interest in The Grapes of Wrath).

I have hearing problems and am very grateful for the subtitles, all the more so since the audio was indeed not the clearest - when Webster reads the speech in a low voice, I wouldn't have been able to make it out without the subtitles (I acknowledge though that this is a fault with the source material and not MoC's fault). I genuinely hope that you guys keep releasing some US classics every now and then, more Dieterle would certainly be welcome. I'd have also suggested Ruggles of Red Gap by Leo McCarey but if Universal didn't licence Make Way For Tomorrow to you, they're unlikely to suddenly change their stance for another title (shame on them).

foggy eyes

#44 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:30 am

Watched this last night, and although the audio "hiss" didn't bother me at all I was quite alarmed by the fluctuation in volume between "quiet" & "loud" bits - or diegetic & non-diegetic sound. The unaccompanied dialogue scenes are fine, but at times Herrmann's score (or the cuts to the parade or harvest dance) almost made me jump out of my seat. This isn't a complaint, I just thought it was odd. The film and booklet are brilliant. Great job on Muriel too - B. Kite's essay is, alongside Dan Sallitt's for Police, surely one of MoC's best commissions yet.