62-63 Les Maîtres du temps & Gandahar

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
knives

Re: 62-63 Les Maîtres du temps and Gandahar

#26 Post by knives » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Thank you, not quite the vote of confidence I was looking for, but gives me hope to research. Any one with ore definitive answers would be appreciated.

Finch

#27 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#28 Post by Tribe » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Two very disappointing releases here. Doubling disappointing when the attachment of Moebius, Caza and Jean-Patrick Manchette (the first two for whom I fondly remember for their excellent illustration work and comics, and Manchette for his superb nihilistic hard-boiled noir thrillers) is considered. Against the backdrop of Laloux' superb allegory in Fantastic Planet, I find Gandahar and Maitres du Temps is barely rise above mass-market anime fare. While the backgrounds and immobile elements are very-well detailed and are consistent with Moebius' and Caza's work, that fails to overcome the second-rate animation and visual depiction of characters and the dumb potboiler stories.

They just don't hold up for me.

colinr0380

#29 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:47 pm

akaten

#30 Post by akaten » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:38 am

Tribe wrote:Two very disappointing releases here. Doubling disappointing when the attachment of Moebius, Caza and Jean-Patrick Manchette (the first two for whom I fondly remember for their excellent illustration work and comics, and Manchette for his superb nihilistic hard-boiled noir thrillers) is considered. Against the backdrop of Laloux' superb allegory in Fantastic Planet, I find Gandahar and Maitres du Temps is barely rise above mass-market anime fare. While the backgrounds and immobile elements are very-well detailed and are consistent with Moebius' and Caza's work, that fails to overcome the second-rate animation and visual depiction of characters and the dumb potboiler stories.

They just don't hold up for me.

I would hope at the very least before writing off the later works you found time both for Craig Keller's passionate defence and celebration of both films, battle scars and all of the ever neglected and underfunded animation medium. Also I would well advise people to watch Wang-Fo fut sauve (contained on the Fantastic Planet disc) at the same time as Gandahar. Its a wonderfully elegant, heartfelt fable that I would hope is a kind of chinese whisper told and retold in print and in passing through Marguerite Yourcenar, Lafacadio Hearn and very likely many others over the ages but I need to seek the texts first before jumping to conclusions.

Finding myself rewatching the final sequences of Fantastic Planet by chance on Sky Arts, I was compelled to revisit Le Maitres du Temps, at the ideal moment, waking early and watching as the sun rose. I cannot in any way adhere to this off handed slight against the idea of 'dumb potboiler stories' yielding fruit, pulp and genre is ideal for the fantastical and plasticity of animation, and in the hands of an imaginative and sensitive writer like Stefen Wul, and the director Rene Laloux and what I can only imagine to be a generous spirt and sense of appreciating the collaborative nature of animation production.

It all results in a genuinely memorable, moving (even when not in motion due to aforementioned difficulties) and affecting tale, with concern but not compliance (bar a forgettable interlude with a cutsey moments for the boy and his animal friend) to audience whims and fancies.

Curiously I found myself further drawn to the film as the DVD player had trouble playing the disc. The pulsing, rhythmic hum and muffled drone bringing to my drousy mind a sense of the Time Masters colonising the room, transporting me back twenty years to view this film for the first time as a young child.

yugung

#31 Post by yugung » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:45 am

has 'gandahar' been deleted, or have stocks just temporarily run out?