62-63 Les Maîtres du temps & Gandahar

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

62-63 Les Maîtres du temps & Gandahar

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:56 pm

Les Maîtres du temps

René Laloux, the director of Fantastic Planet [La Planète sauvage], created Les Maîtres du temps, his penultimate animated feature film, in 1982. A huge hit in France at the time of its release, it combines Laloux's famous imagination with that of animation designer Jean Giraud (aka Moebius).

On planet Perdide, an attack of giant hornets leaves Piel, a young boy alone in a wrecked car with his dying father. A mayday message reaches their friend Jaffar, an adventurer travelling through space. On board Jaffar's shuttle are the renegade Prince Matton, his fiancée, and Silbad who knows the planet Perdide well. Thus begins an incredible race across space to save Piel.

Les Maîtres du temps is a finely animated metaphysical rescue mission, previously seen in English-speaking countries as a dubbed version entitled Time Masters. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the original French version of Laloux's distinctive vision in this newly restored 25th anniversary edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New high-definition restoration of the original Laloux version in original aspect ratio
• Newly translated optional English subtitles
• Original theatrical trailer
• 36-PAGE BOOKLET including a new essay by Craig Keller and an interview with Moebius about the making of the film.

Gandahar

René Laloux, director of Fantastic Planet [La Planète sauvage], created Gandahar, his final animated feature film, in 1988. Based on an original story by Jean-Pierre Andrevon, and a huge hit in France at the time of its release, it combines Laloux's famous imagination with that of animation designer Philippe Caza. Gandahar is a fascinating, adult animation which examines genetic mutation, the importance of organic farming, and urges a respect for nature that resonates today more than ever.

Life in the idyllic paradise of Gandahar seems peaceful and in joyous order, until the Mirror Birds report that inhabitants of whole villages have been turned to stone. A council of women chooses Sylvain Lanvère to uncover Gandahar's mysterious metallic attackers. In doing so, he finds an underground race of deformed Gandaharians and an oversized motherbrain, both the result of botched genetic experiments.

Previously seen in English-speaking countries as the dubbed hack-job alternatively titled Light Years (presided over by Harvey Weinstein who credited himself as "Director", over Laloux), The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the original French version of Laloux's distinctive vision in this newly restored 20th anniversary edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New high-definition progressive transfer, original aspect ratio
• Newly translated optional English subtitles
• Laloux short film La Prisonnière
• 36-PAGE BOOKLET including a new essay by Craig Keller and an interview with Philippe Caza about the making of the film.

Luke M

#2 Post by Luke M » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:57 pm

They certainly skipped ahead quite a bit.

I've never seen this but if it's anything like Fantastic Planet, count me in.

I just noticed the main Eureka! page says that this is a October release. That's interesting.

Andreas

#3 Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:02 am

doesn't the cover say that it's spine 53?

foggy eyes

#4 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:07 am

Only if it's been hidden under the 63.

jt

#5 Post by jt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:35 am

I know nothing at all about these titles, anyone care to comment?
Are they as strong as Fantastic Planet?
Last edited by jt on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome Welles

#6 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:01 am

I loved Fantastic Planet and I I'll definitely be picking this up.
Luke M wrote:They certainly skipped ahead quite a bit.

I've never seen this but if it's anything like Fantastic Planet, count me in.

I just noticed the main Eureka! page says that this is a September release. That's interesting.
Releases don't always run in sequence. However I'll be interested to see when Les Maitre du Temps is released as it would be nice to see them together, however I think a gradual strategy might be more efficient. Gandahar is an October release so should fill us in on the missing spines as Nick has mentioned new Catalogues should be out in October.
Last edited by Awesome Welles on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:19 am

Some of the above posts have been edited

Please, I know it's tempting, but let's try not to fill every thread with speculation about which spine numbers belong to which films. There's a perfectly appropriate place for that.

J Wilson

#8 Post by J Wilson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 pm

jt wrote:I know nothing at all about this title, anyone care to comment?
According to Wikipedia:

Gandahar: "Light Years (Original title: Gandahar) is a 1988 French animated science fiction and fantasy film. The original version was directed by René Laloux, and was based on a story from Jean-Pierre Andrevon. The English version was directed by Harvey Weinstein, and noted science-fiction author Isaac Asimov made the revision of the translation.

The animation was in color and ran for 83 minutes. Voice actors for the original French version included Pierre-Marie Escourrou, Catherine Chevallier, Georges Wilson, Anny Duperey, Jean-Pierre Ducos, and Jean-Pierre Jorris. Among the actors providing the voices for the English-language version were Glenn Close, Jennifer Grey, Terrence Mann, Penn and Teller, John Shea, Bridget Fonda, David Johansen and Christopher Plummer. The film is notable for its strange scenery and exotic flora, fauna, and bizarre inhabitants."

Les Maitre des Temps: "Les Maîtres du temps (Time Masters) is an animated French/Hungarian science fiction film (79 minutes) from 1982. The film centers around a boy, Piel, who is stranded on Perdide, a desert planet devastated by an attack of giant killer hornets, and attempts by the space pilot Jaffar to rescue him - in the face of obstruction by the exiled prince Matton.

The BBC aired an English-language dubbed version in 1987 and 1991 called Time Masters, featuring, amongst others, the voice of Ray Brooks, famous for being the narrator of Mr. Benn.

Directed by René Laloux, the film was produced largely at the Mid-Pannonian studios in Hungary. The visual design was based on the art of Moebius, otherwise known as Jean Giraud.

The motion picture story is based on the novel L'Orphelin de Perdide (1958) by the French writer Stefan Wul."

Awesome Welles

#9 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:12 pm

Now Les Maitres du Temps appears! I've got to say I think the art work is wild and the biggest risk MoC have taken so far, the artwork has almost non-MoC connotations, like new age kids TV. That said I love it! It is the original poster and I think can only widen Laloux's audience when it hits shelves, along with Gandahar too.

I'm not that familiar with the work of Meobius but Les Maitres du Temps looks totally different to his stuff I have already seen. I really love the animation style of Fantastic Planet, whilst this doesn't scare me off or anything I just wonder about the thematic content of these two films, can anyone comment? I feel like Fantastic Planet had so many layers and could be interpreted in so many different ways, do these films deliver on the same level?

What A Disgrace

#10 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Is Les Maitres du Temps anywhere near as badass as its cover art?

Andreas

#11 Post by Andreas » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:30 pm

can someone explain why imdb says "France / North Korea" as country
for Gandahar?

What A Disgrace

#12 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:18 pm

jt wrote:I know nothing at all about these titles, anyone care to comment?
Are they as strong as Fantastic Planet?
I never actually considered that Gandahar might be anything more than a cult animated fantasy film (somewhere beneath Bakshi's Wizards in asskickery, and beneath Dark Crystal in technical achievement) until I saw that Laloux in general was seriously considered in some circles...and, unfortunately, I haven't been able to see it since my VHS burned. It always struck me as a sort of light fantasy / sci fi fair that was aiming at a deeper context...but my tape died before I was really old enough to comprehend it that way.

Keep in mind that I'm not brushing Gandahar off...its just that, to me, the movie is one of those I never seriously considered, and something I had forgotten about until MoC released Fantastic Planet. There's some stuff in the film that would have never made it into a live action feature; stuff that I feel live action or CGI could never really do justice to, while I'm no even sure if the film does it justice. That's one reason why I am so excited about the MoC release of the movie...Nick and/or someone else out there takes the movie seriously enough to put it with some Dreyer and Murnau.

the dancing kid

#13 Post by the dancing kid » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:55 pm

FSimeoni wrote:I'm not that familiar with the work of Meobius but Les Maitres du Temps looks totally different to his stuff I have already seen. I really love the animation style of Fantastic Planet, whilst this doesn't scare me off or anything I just wonder about the thematic content of these two films, can anyone comment? I feel like Fantastic Planet had so many layers and could be interpreted in so many different ways, do these films deliver on the same level?
If you've ever seen the original Metal Hurlant magazine I would say that the film is very similar to that in style and tone. There's a mix of comedic elements, science fiction and some surreal stuff. It isn't nearly as trippy as 'La Planete Sauvage', but it isn't as, I dunno, "base" as the American film version of 'Heavy Metal' either. I don't think it can be read as an allegory in the same way as 'La Planete Sauvage', and it's thematic materials might seem a bit more superficial, but I think it captures something interesting.

Musashi219

#14 Post by Musashi219 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:03 am

I'm hoping these are released by MoC in NTSC format. I was quite pleased with their Fantastic Planet release and I'd love to see more of Laloux's work.

Awesome Welles

#15 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:25 pm

Gandahar and Les Maîtres du temps at Play.com. Both are priced at £13.99

Nadsat

#16 Post by Nadsat » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:18 am

Gandahar review

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:42 am

FSimeoni wrote:I'm not that familiar with the work of Meobius but Les Maitres du Temps looks totally different to his stuff I have already seen. I really love the animation style of Fantastic Planet, whilst this doesn't scare me off or anything I just wonder about the thematic content of these two films, can anyone comment? I feel like Fantastic Planet had so many layers and could be interpreted in so many different ways, do these films deliver on the same level?
Les Maîtres du Temps has much more in common with Fantastic Planet than otherwise, you'll be glad to hear. I don't think it's quite as successful a film - as the dancing kid correctly points out above, it's lighter on the allegorical material (though the whole middle sequence on a planet where people's individuality has literally been sucked out of them provides a fair bit of compensation), and Moebius's ideas aren't quite as flat-out bizarre as Roland Topor's. But it filled 75 minutes very nicely.

Incidentally, the DVD is definitely PAL.

Andreas

#18 Post by Andreas » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Asking my question again, I'm really curious; does anyone know why imdb says "France / North Korea" as country for Gandahar?
Is it just some kind of joke?

#19 Post by 125100 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:43 pm

Andreas wrote:Asking my question again, I'm really curious; does anyone know why imdb says "France / North Korea" as country for Gandahar?
That's quite common with animation, a lot of cel production is outsourced to Korean companies. They're quite advanced in this field and many of the animated shows you see on TV (even episodes of The Simpsons) are/were made there.

Edit: Before people point it out, yes I know The Simpsons was made in South Korea, but in the post-Akira "anime boom" North Korea decided to get in on the act and actually produced many Japanese shows in the late 80's/early 90's.

evillights

#20 Post by evillights » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Andreas wrote:Asking my question again, I'm really curious; does anyone know why imdb says "France / North Korea" as country for Gandahar?
Is it just some kind of joke?
No. For a host of reasons the production of 'Gandahar' was carried out in Pyongyang with an enormous team of animators. More elaboration on this in the essay and Caza interview in the booklet.

craig.

Awesome Welles

#21 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:55 am

The MoC pages have now gone live.

Gosvig

#22 Post by Gosvig » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:17 pm

just received Les maîtres du temps today and watched it right away. Despite both Moebius and Laloux not considering the result as something extraordinary I was thrilled all the way through.
One feature I really miss in this edition is the soundtrack as an extra like on the Fantastic Planet disc, the music is really amazing!!!

colinr0380

#23 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:18 pm

DVD Outsider review of Les maîtres du Temps and of Gandahar.

knives

Re: 62-63 Les Maîtres du temps and Gandahar

#24 Post by knives » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Possible stupid question, if I got these (and Fantastic Planet) would they be able to play with no problem on my US Xbox 360/ PS2?

ehimle

Re: 62-63 Les Maîtres du temps and Gandahar

#25 Post by ehimle » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:31 pm

i got these too a few months ago. i tried on my us dvd player and it was a tad funky. but my computer worked just fine playing them. if the xbox or ps2 reads dvds like my imac it should be fine... is my guess