25 Vampyr

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Tommaso

#326 Post by Tommaso » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:52 am

Unbelievable. These guys really should get that flour mill treatment. Or become editors of Vogue.

hellochas

#327 Post by hellochas » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:45 pm

I saw this as well today, and kudos to the reviewer: Fredrik Strage (a journalist who more often than not leaves me baffled at some of the things he praises - in this clip he considers New Order's Technique album their best...) for highlighting this important release and offering himself as a contact person if potential buyers have problems sourcing the DVD. You can't say fairer than that!

Slightly improved subtitles (no criticism implied to you DignanSWE):

"Den känns lite långsam."
'It seems a bit plodding.'

"Orkar man se den här filmen? [....] Orkar man se en svartvit rulle?"
'Could one be bothered seeing this film? [...] Is it worth watching a black and white movie?'

"Lyfter filmen av det*?"
'Is the film better for it*?'

"Droppar man lite om den här franske killen Dreyer [på ett cafe]"
'A little name-dropping of this French guy Dreyer [at a cafe]'

*that Baron Nicolas de Gunzburg became an editor at Vogue

What a pair of planks those two hosts are!

MichaelB

#328 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:05 pm

That sounds even more toe-curling than Jeremy Paxman's Bergman obit - and that was bad enough!

DignanSWE

Les Vampires

#329 Post by DignanSWE » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:28 am

Fredrik Strage reviewed Artificial Eye's release of Les Vampires earlier this year (-- it was the same hosts... ):

"Du har något gammalt gammalt med dig..."
Host: 'You've brought something really really old with you...'

"Det är ganska fascinerande faktiskt att en thriller från 1915 fortfarande funkar."
"Har du något bevis på det?"
Strage: "It's pretty fascinating that a thriller from 1915 still works."
Host: "Do you have any proof?"

"Det här var inget fel, jag ska bara säga det till den moderna publiken. Det var en stumfilm."
Host: 'I have to tell the modern audience, this actually is supposed to be like this. It's a silent movie.'

"Det här är en riktig kriminalklassiker."
Strage: 'This is a classisc among crime movies.'
Host bursts into laughter.

"Men är det här för cineaster, folk som gillar skräckfilmshistoria eller bara super..."
"Om man gillar deckare så är det väldigt kul."
"Jaha, Morden i Midsomer eller......Les Vampires."
Host: 'So, is this for movie freaks, people who like horror movie history, or just super...'
Strage: 'It's really entertaining if you like crime movies.'
Host: "Well, Midsomer Murders or......Les Vampires."

"En del skådespelare som har jobbat på teatern har en tendens att titta rakt in i kameran också."
"Som en politiker."
Starge: 'Some actors who have worked in the theatre tend to look straight into the camera.'
Host: 'Like a politician.'

"Stumfilmsskådespeleri anses ju ofta bättre än än ljudfilms[skådespeleri]."
Strage: 'Acting in silent movies is ofen considered better than acting in sound movies.'

"Har du någonting med ljud, eller?"
Host: 'Do you have anything else, with sound, or...?'

TheGodfather

Re: 25 Vampyr

#330 Post by TheGodfather » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:55 pm

I watched the film with the del Toro commentary track today. Really liked it. Informative and humourous with a voice that`s pleasant to listen to.
Well recommended to listen to.

Sheriff Chambers

#331 Post by Sheriff Chambers » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 am

This doesn’t relate to MOC’s disc but thought this might be the place to mention the following.

The Barbican Centre in London is running another of its Silent Film and Live Music seasons, 20 September to 13 December, and includes a screening of Vampyr on Sunday 18 October, 4pm, with live accompaniment by HarmonieBand - Vampires and Phantoms in Silent Film – Part I.

Vampyr is a sound film, not a silent film – however unusual its approach to sound/dialogue may seem to some contemporary audiences. And why would anyone think it necessary to do away with Wolfgang Zeller’s score? Does anyone know what’s going on here?

http://www.barbican.org.uk/film/series.asp?id=263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt

#332 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Kristin Thompson has a very nice appreciation of Del Toro's commentary.

neilist

#333 Post by neilist » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 pm

'Vampyr' is getting a bit of a run in UK cinemas next year, courtesy of a new soundtrack from former Siouxsie and The Banshees member Steven Severin, although his Facebook page says they'll just showing a DVD of the film rather than a print.

picturehouses.co.uk has some details and the complete list of showings is up.

Sad it's not on at the Cambridge Picturehouse, but I guess it was shown at the film festival there with another live soundtrack a few years ago. I remember it being well attended though, you'd think they'd give this one a go, but then again I think I'd prefer to just see it with the original soundtrack anyway.

zedz

#334 Post by zedz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Oh dear, another instance of that unfortunate phenomenon of people assuming that any film that's old and black-and-white is a 'silent'. Somebody should politely point out that there are thousands of actually soundtrack-less films ready and waiting for creative accompaniment.

matrixschmatrix

#335 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Where does it say anyone thinks it's a silent? Beauty and the Beast got an alternate soundtrack, and I don't think anyone ever thought that about it.

zedz

#336 Post by zedz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Well, duh. My point is that the integrity of the original film should be respected. Stripping off the soundtrack is a worse violation of that integrity than colorization would be.

matrixschmatrix

#337 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm

I don't see where using the visuals of an existing movie to create a new work is in any way a violation. The original soundtrack is still there.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#338 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:28 am

Zedz and I don't agree on a lot, but fuck this noise

neilist

#339 Post by neilist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:51 am

He also appears to have similarly toured performing a soundtrack to Cocteau's 'Le Sang d'un Poète', so seemingly has a thing for overwriting the audio of early sound films.

zedz

#340 Post by zedz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:21 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Zedz and I don't agree on a lot, but fuck this noise
(attempts to high-five mfunk, misses, slips, and breaks nose)

HerrSchreck

#341 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 pm

. . . I mean what's next. . removing the image track of, say, M and replacing it with newly shot footage --yet since the audio track is maintained in tact calling this bastard child M?

I dare say that with afilm like Vampyr, with ( via such minimal dialogue) the soundtrack playing such a critical role in the overall chemistry of the title, removing the audio track to insert your own contemporary score, is a professional grandstanding of the ballsiest type.

Why not extensively edit the texts of Shakespeare and Chaucer and nonetheless release them under their original titles?

Happy holidays to all my old pals here ! you know who you are..

knives

#342 Post by knives » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:48 am

HerrSchreck wrote: Why not extensively edit the texts of Shakespeare and Chaucer and nonetheless release them under their original titles?

Tommaso

#343 Post by Tommaso » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:59 am

Rouben Mamoulian did precisely that with "Hamlet". Seems the man worked several years on it in the 60s. That's what you do when you're not allowed to make films anymore.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#344 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:42 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Why not extensively edit the texts of Shakespeare and Chaucer and nonetheless release them under their original titles?
If you read Shaw's drama criticism from the 1890s, producing radically altered Shakespeare plays -- and presenting them as the real thing was still the norm in London. Presenting Shakespeare in unadapted (even if somewhat shortened) form was a novelty then.

matrixschmatrix

#345 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:53 am

Most productions of Shakespeare plays feature dramatically shortened texts, and sometimes additional material from other texts.

MichaelB

#346 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Richard III is only worth performing uncut if it's programmed as part four of a complete Henry VI/Richard III cycle - otherwise, there's far too much stuff that will be incomprehensible if you haven't seen the three preceding plays.

Which is why many standalone adaptations cut anything up to half the original text.

HerrSchreck

#347 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Sure.. as you can alll probably well imagine, I'm very much aware of the phenomenon of editing play text for stage presentation. . . perhaps owing to this reason my example was not the best one... but what I was talking about was a complete hypothetical or imaginary 100% replacement of the text ( the way in the Dreyer example the audio track is completely replaced) with brand new text in a strictly literary presentation, and rendered under the name of William Shakespeare.

matrixschmatrix

#348 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:28 pm

I think productions of Shakespeare are a germane example, though. This is not a new print or release of Vampyr in which the soundtrack has been replaced, claiming to be definitive or authoritative- it is a series of specific live performances in which elements of Vampyr have been altered. That seems much more comparable to a specific production of a play than it would be to an altered printing of the text, to me.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#349 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:29 am

The original soundtrack isn't written in a jaunty outdated centuries-old vernacular

evillights

#350 Post by evillights » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:44 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:The original soundtrack isn't written in a jaunty outdated centuries-old vernacular
?