64 / BD 70 Nosferatu

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
HerrSchreck

Re: 64 / BD 70 Nosferatu

#301 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:51 pm

No shite... The problem is he's saying it as though this was all hiitherto never publicly appreciated about Grau.

My point is that all of the previous Authorized Editions of the films last restoration acknowledged that it was indeed a Symphony of Grauen heh heh...

Props55

#302 Post by Props55 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:41 am

Agreed that there was nothing substantially new in Kalet's post (extra details regarding the existance of other occult groups, etc.) and that all us folks here are in the know but (unless I'm mistaken) isn't this blog a part of the whole TCM shebang? In which case I can well understand Kalet's desire to put all the Grau influence up front for the benefit of all the mainstream TCMers out there in fanland. Last time I checked (my cable service has never offered TCM!) all silents were still pretty much confined to the Sunday Night ghetto with an occasional breakout on certain occasions (like Halloween) so I see it as Kalet's opportunity to spread the gospel to the great unwashed. There's probably an interested audience out there (again in TCMland) that very likely doesn't spring for Kino product (hey it's "free" on TV!) and never heard of MoC or "region free".

HerrSchreck

#303 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 am

Sounds a little forced...
In preparing my track I took the opportunity to challenge some of the received wisdom (ON TCM.COM) about the authorship of this film—but one disadvantage of the audio commentary format as a vehicle for that kind of (TCM.COM) discussion is that I was limited to the visual examples presented by the film itself. To really make my case (ON TCM.COM) I wanted to be able to show some other film clips or stills—which is best suited to a blog! So here we go—into the mad world of Nosferatu’s creator, F.W. Murnau Albin Grau!
But lest I come off like I don't love David to death, these will be my last comments on the matter. Perhaps he never grabbed an actual retail copy of any of the Transit - sourced releases on the last go-round. Greater sins hath been committed by man!

Roger Ryan

#304 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Props55 wrote:...Last time I checked (my cable service has never offered TCM!) all silents were still pretty much confined to the Sunday Night ghetto with an occasional breakout on certain occasions (like Halloween)...
This is no longer true, I'm happy to say. For the past year, TCM has shown silent films throughout the week and often at prime time (8 p.m., 9 p.m.). This morning, four silent Lillian Gish features were shown consecutively. I'm sorry you don't have access to this cable channel because it is the only non-premium channel that has improved with age.

While I don't have an opinion on how well-known the Albin Grau contribution to NOSFERATU has been in the past, I appreciated Kalat's succinct summary on something I hadn't paid attention to before.

Sandman

#305 Post by Sandman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:22 pm

As Roger wrote, TCM is showing more silents at hours other than midnight. I do wish they would add more "foreign films," which are typically scheduled after the Sunday midnight silent films, to the daytime/prime time schedule. One huge benefit of the Mark Cousins Story of Film series is that more foreign films are being shown, and I hope this trend continues after the series concludes.

Gregor Samsa

#306 Post by Gregor Samsa » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:05 am

Updated extras:
Special Features

SPECIAL BLU-RAY, DVD, AND DUAL FORMAT STEELBOOK EDITIONS

• Brand new 1080p high-definition restoration by Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung

• Stereo and 5.1 scores

• Two audio commentaries: one newly recorded by film historian David Kalat; the second by historian R. Dixon Smith and critic Brad Stevens

• The Language of Shadows, a 53-minute documentary on Murnau’s early years and the filming of Nosferatu

• New video interview with BFI Film Classics: Nosferatu author Kevin Jackson

• Exclusive video piece taped by and featuring filmmaker Abel Ferrara

• Newly translated optional English subtitles with original German intertitles

• 56-PAGE BOOKLET featuring writing by Gilberto Perez, Albin Grau, Enno Patalas, and Craig Keller; notes on the restoration; and rare archival imagery
They even kept the right essay from the DVD booklet. :)

FrauBlucher

#307 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 pm

HerrSchreck

#308 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Droolworthy.

ashleyco

#309 Post by ashleyco » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:40 pm

I can't believe how good that screencap looks.

AlexHansen

#310 Post by AlexHansen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Good lord this is a beautiful transfer. After JOAN and this, I hope this kind of release becomes a year-end tradition.

What A Disgrace

#311 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:55 pm

I hope next year is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari year.

manicsounds

#312 Post by manicsounds » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:20 pm

With the older DVD of "Nosferatu" being 2 DVDs, and the DF being 1 BD + 1 DVD, does the dual format edition lose out on the bonus features? Or are the contents now crammed onto a single DVD?

Gregory

#313 Post by Gregory » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 pm

The previous features are still there. I never understood why the previous release had to be a 2-DVD set, when a 93-minute film, a commentary, and a 53-minute documentary should have fit on one disc.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#314 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:08 am

Gregory wrote:I never understood why the previous release had to be a 2-DVD set, when a 93-minute film, a commentary, and a 53-minute documentary should have fit on one disc.
I think the 2 DVDs were DVD-5.

MichaelB

#315 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:15 am

I'd be surprised if disc one was a DVD-5 - the bitrate was very high (close to the maximum DVD can handle, in fact), and with a 5.1 soundtrack and commentary on top.

And with that in mind, I can certainly see why they decided to stick a 53-minute documentary onto disc two - especially since we now know that they originally intended to include the Abel Ferrara piece that finally made its debut on the reissue.

manicsounds

#316 Post by manicsounds » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:34 am

zedz

#317 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Well, the Kalat commentary is exactly as good as you'd expect, but the Ferrara interview is completely worthless. He talks about the film only in the vaguest of terms and spends much of the time apparently reading from the wikipedia page on 'Vampires' that he printed out. I can see why it was left off the previous release!

The Jackson piece is decent, but he's pretty much gazumped by Kalat, who leaves few stones unturned.

FrauBlucher

#318 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:01 pm

I watched both last night and I agree on all points. Kalat (oh man can he talk) was excellent. The Ferrara piece will never be watched ever again.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#319 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Let's not forget about the doc. I kind of want to see Murnau's earlier lost films more than 4 Devils. 8-[

FrauBlucher

#320 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:17 pm

It is such a shame that those films are lost. We can only hope that miraculously something shows up somewhere.

L.A.

#321 Post by L.A. » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 pm

swo17 wrote:Let's not forget about the doc. I kind of want to see Murnau's earlier lost films more than 4 Devils. 8-[
If by some magical powers I could choose which lost Murnau film would resurface, then my choice is Der Januskopf (1920).

Jonathan S

#322 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:31 am

Der Januskopf has long been a holy grail for film collectors. My late friend Leslie Shepard, who'd seen other Murnaus on their first run (and later knew Carl Mayer personally), was persuaded in old age to hand over a significant amount of cash for a copy.... which of course never materialised.

Props55

#323 Post by Props55 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:47 am

I've often wondered if JANUSKOPF didn't suffer a fate similar to NOSFERATU (perhaps as a result of Florence Stoker's sucessful legal vendetta) in being suppressed by Stevenson's heirs. It's well known that his wife and stepchildren were very cautious and conservative curators of his literary legacy (i.e. the revisionist version of the origins of JEKYLL, the memorial plaque revised to feature a quill pen rather than his ubiquitous cigarette, the promotion of the poems and the most "child friendly" of the adventure stories and novels) so it's not difficult to imagine their pursuit of any "unauthorized" adaptations.

On the other hand surely someone would have discovered evidence of such suppression by now.

I too have long wanted to see this film ever since reading about it in Famous Monsters fifty years ago. Connie Veidt as Jekyll/Hyde (and Lugosi as Poole!) as directed by Murnau! I'd much rather this be found than LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#324 Post by tenia » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'd be surprised if disc one was a DVD-5 - the bitrate was very high (close to the maximum DVD can handle, in fact), and with a 5.1 soundtrack and commentary on top.

And with that in mind, I can certainly see why they decided to stick a 53-minute documentary onto disc two - especially since we now know that they originally intended to include the Abel Ferrara piece that finally made its debut on the reissue.
Probably nobody cares, but I've checked, and indeed, it was a DVD-9 for the movie and a DVD-5 for the extras. Both together accounted for about 9.6 Gb (first disc : 6.15 Gb; 2nd disc : 3.26 Gb).

EddieLarkin

#325 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm unsure if this has already been mentioned here or in the Kino thread, but I felt it was worth posting. According to the admin of caps-a-holic, whilst taking grabs from both Nosferatu discs he found that Kino appear to have deleted two frames from every second of the movie. Essentially they messed up the frame interpolation, explained here:
caps-a-holic wrote:The missing frame on both US Blu-ray is not a mistake. I checked again and again and Kino Lorber pretty much messed up the 18 to 24 fps conversion. There seems to be frames missing in every second of the movie, instead they just copied the frame before that three times. That makes the whole thing extremely choppy.

Here is pulldown from the UK BD:

112 112 112 112 112 112

1 second of film = 24 frames. the source is 18 fps, so every 3rd frame has to be doubled to make it to 24.

The US pulldown is quite different:

1212123 1212123

after the 3 repeated frames. there is one frame missing that was actually on the 18fps source and can be found on the UK Blu.
If I've got that right then the Kino disc has about 11% of the film excised, and the interpolation is messed up as well (going some way to explain the derision of the progressive encode over at Nitrateville). Figured anyone who went for it over the MoC disc might want to know.