131 / BD 60 Bakumatsu taiyō-den

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
TMDaines

Re: 131 / BD 60 Bakumatsu taiyō-den

#26 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:28 pm

knives wrote:I'm 90% sure that the Blu is dual format.
You can see on here what's Dual and what's not: http://eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalogue/. They stopped them again.

TMDaines

#27 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:29 pm

knives wrote:They just label it as Blu, but it is indeed dual. You can tell by the gray top. For the none duals they have a blue top.
Clear case doesn't mean Dual. It needs to have the grey sticker. It's the same with La poison and La citta' delle donne.

knives

#28 Post by knives » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Fudge? That's absurd. Does that mean that the Clouzot is not dual? I'm going to have to cancel my order in that case.

Tommaso

#29 Post by Tommaso » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes, some other films have a clear writing on the grey label that states "Dual Format Edition". "Gate of Hell", "The Blue Angel" and so on. "Bakamatsu" hasn't. Better cancel your order indeed....

TMDaines

#30 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

It caught me out with the two aforementioned releases that I last received too. I'm never going to use the DVD in a Dual but I still thought there was going to be one there. I wouldn't be surprised if others thought they were getting a Dual package too.

knives

#31 Post by knives » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 pm

I suppose I can say thanks to whoever just saved me 11 quid. Haven't gone all region on Blu yet so need those duals.

TMDaines

#32 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:49 pm

I must admit it has been a bit confusing. I think they've had five (and a half) different policies with Blu-rays over the years:

Blu-ray / DVD (and not everything on both formats - City Girl was originally Blu-ray only)
Blu-ray / DVD (everything)
Dual (and after the riots (nearly) everything was re-released on Dual)
---- Blu-ray (for Universal titles)
Dual / DVD
Blu-ray / DVD

Tommaso

#33 Post by Tommaso » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, now that Nick is no longer with them, we'll probably never get an explanation about this. MoC's/Eureka's decisions have been sometimes mystifying in this respect, but at least they became somewhat comprehensible after Nick explained the reasons for them.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#34 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 pm

The Blue Angel has been the only dual format release this year. Everything else this year has been/will be in separate BD and DVD editions.

AK

#35 Post by AK » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:57 am

swo17 wrote:The Blue Angel has been the only dual format release this year. Everything else this year has been/will be in separate BD and DVD editions.
Tabu will be a Dual Format release according to the film-specific website at Eureka. The site for The Birth of a Nation doesn't seem to be up yet. This is all subject to change, as it always is at this point, but at least for the moment they're far from abandoning the practice.

As for Bakumatsu, it's a wonderful film. Don't want to clutter this post so I'll just link to my IMDb review of it if you're interested. I would've liked to see more in terms of extra material, especially since it's a brilliant film and because Kawashima is so unknown to not only me but I'd assume for the large majority of people coming to the film for the first time. The booklet's great, though, and by no means do I wish to sound like I'm not grateful for having the film on Blu. Here's hoping, though, that they'll release more Kawashima and include something then.

Edit: I stand corrected.
swo17 wrote:That information is a couple years old. Both Tabu and The Birth of a Nation will be released in separate BD and DVD editions.
Last edited by AK on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#36 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 am

AK wrote:Tabu will be a Dual Format release according to the film-specific website at Eureka. The site for The Birth of a Nation doesn't seem to be up yet.
That information is a couple years old. Both Tabu and The Birth of a Nation will be released in separate BD and DVD editions.

Paul Moran

#37 Post by Paul Moran » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Oh no - new and improved subtitles. MoC, please leave those to Criterion, and stick with standard UK English subtitles!

manicsounds

#38 Post by manicsounds » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Paul Moran wrote:Oh no - new and improved subtitles. MoC, please leave those to Criterion, and stick with standard UK English subtitles!
MoC always uses UK English subtitles.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#39 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Isn't this the first (and only) English-friendly release of the film in any form? I wouldn't read too much into these subtitles being "new and improved."

Paul Moran

#40 Post by Paul Moran » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:13 pm

manicsounds wrote:
Paul Moran wrote:Oh no - new and improved subtitles. MoC, please leave those to Criterion, and stick with standard UK English subtitles!
MoC always uses UK English subtitles.
They licensed the transfer from Nikkatsu. How do you know they didn't also license a subtitle translation prepared for the US market? I'd be surprised if a UK English translator would use "grifter", which occurs frequently, annoyingly so, and which my Chambers dictionary describes as "US slang".

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#41 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Well, Stephen Frears at least knows what it means. And again, what subtitle translation would have been prepared specifically for the U.S. market? Until MoC put this release out last year, the film was only known outside of Japan by reputation.

zedz

#42 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:27 pm

This is seriously the strangest cause for outrage with a DVD / BluRay release that I've seen in a long time: not enough Cockney rhyming slang in my 19th century Japanese movie! I DEMAND A REFUND, GUV'NER!

Paul Moran

#43 Post by Paul Moran » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:45 pm

swo17 wrote:Well, Stephen Frears at least knows what it means. And again, what subtitle translation would have been prepared specifically for the U.S. market? Until MoC put this release out last year, the film was only known outside of Japan by reputation.
Perhaps Criterion were interested at one point - the film certainly fits their mission statement - but changed their minds or got bogged down with supplements. My "request" was addressed to MoC - perhaps their rep (perpee?) will comment.

BTW, it's years since I watched the Frears film, but if I recall correctly, the "grifting" in the film was of a much darker nature than the antics of "Saheiji" in "Bakumatsu". If I had to pick a US equivalent for him, it would be Sgt Bilko. :)

Gregory

#44 Post by Gregory » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 pm

"not perpee"

Nick left MoC a couple of years ago.

peerpee
not perpee

#45 Post by peerpee » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Yes, I left two years ago, but I probably have the answer: all MoC editions have their own English subtitles specially translated (if need be) and spotted by one of the best subtitling houses in the country (IBF in London). They look at available subtitles, other editions, and take the opportunity to brush things up. MoC folk also contribute to this process in the proofing stage. The whole process is one of the most diligent I'm aware of in the UK and I am proud to have instigated it.

With regards to "grifter" being used in the subtitles of this film. I think it's a good word that would do well to cross over here – language being the ever-changing thing that it is – but a better explanation might be that the majority of the MoC team now live in America and it's not always clear to Americans which words aren't as well known in the UK and vice versa.

MichaelB

#46 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 am

I do a lot of subtitle proofing for various labels, and while I certainly make sure that the end result is in British English in terms of spelling and general sentence structure, individual words are very much a judgement call. And while it would ultimately depend on the context, I personally wouldn't have a problem with a term like "grifter".

Paul Moran

#47 Post by Paul Moran » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 pm

peerpee wrote:With regards to "grifter" being used in the subtitles of this film. I think it's a good word that would do well to cross over here – language being the ever-changing thing that it is – but a better explanation might be that the majority of the MoC team now live in America and it's not always clear to Americans which words aren't as well known in the UK and vice versa.
Thanks, peerpee.

manicsounds

#48 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:52 pm

When Japanese companies prep English subtitles for distribution for film festivals, DVDs, BDs, etc, they almost always go with US English.

So what is a more British word for Grifter? Charlatan? Swindler?

peerpee
not perpee

#49 Post by peerpee » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Probably "conman".

colinr0380

#50 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:55 am

peerpee wrote:Probably "conman".
How about "spiv"? or perhaps "Wide boy". Though they might be too archaic or UK-specific terms to be used for general subtitles.