109-110 / BD 136-137 Hawks and Sparrows & Pigsty

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
rapta

Re: 109-110 / BD 136-137 Hawks and Sparrows & Pigsty

#26 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:09 am

MichaelB wrote:
Davy Gallagher wrote:Quite surprised that with only 1500 copies this hasn't, seemingly, come close to being sold out yet. It's incredible value for money and are both absolutely wonderful.
I'm not the tiniest bit surprised. By any yardstick this is a seriously niche release, which is why Eureka was so hesitant to do it - and they'd have been privy to the DVD sales figures, of course.
Nevertheless, I got hold of a copy the other day. Got rid of my Hawks and Sparrows DVD a few weeks back and it works out much cheaper to get this Blu-ray release, with the added bonus of the films being in HD.

It certainly was a bit of a risk, but hopefully it sells out at some point this year. I think this was a culmination of circumstances - according to Kevin they were thinking of doing some kind of Pasolini box set, much like the Imamura one, but he was personally passionate about getting the two DVD titles onto a Blu-ray disc and pushed for it (also flirting with the idea of crowd-funding, by the sounds of things).

I'm sure it would take a while to get all those copies sold, but I think it might sell faster than the DVDs purely because it's on Blu-ray. However, this may put Eureka off from upgrading similarly niche titles to Blu-ray - I was hoping for them to upgrade any of the three Franju titles at some point, though Criterion may try and release Judex over here now.

Anyway, looking forward to watching these. Does anyone know if the booklet loses anything from the DVD ones? Also, I still need to pick up a few of the BFI discs (particularly Medea).