BD 27 Repo Man

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 27 Repo Man

#1 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 am

Repo Man

Image Image

Arguably the defining cult film of the Reagan era, the feature debut of Alex Cox (Sid & Nancy, Walker, Straight to Hell) is a genre-busting mash-up of atomic-age science fiction, post-punk anarchism, and conspiracy paranoia, all shot through with heavy doses of deadpan humour and offbeat philosophy.

After quitting his dead-end supermarket job, young punk Otto (Emilio Estevez) is initiated as a "repo man" after a chance encounter with automobile repossessor Bud (Harry Dean Stanton). An illicit, high-voltage life follows, including an adrenalised search for a mysterious '64 Chevy Malibu loaded with radioactive – and extragalactic – cargo…

With an iconic soundtrack (Iggy Pop, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies), stunning Robby Müller cinematography, and iconoclastic direction, Repo Man remains one of the great debuts of the 1980s. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present a definitive, director-approved Blu-ray.

SPECIAL DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY

• New high-definition master in the original aspect ratio – 1.85:1
• Original monaural soundtrack in DTS-HD Master Audio
• English SDH subtitles on the main feature
• Isolated music and effects track
• Audio commentary with Cox and executive producer Michael Nesmith, casting director Victoria Thomas, and actors Sy Richardson, Zander Schloss, and Del Zamora
• All-new 2012 video piece by Cox offering further thoughts on the film
Repo Man (entire TV version) – this legendary variant, prepared by Cox for network television, incorporates deleted material and surreal overdubs in place of profanity
Repossessed – a retrospective video piece on the making of the film, featuring Cox, producers Peter McCarthy and Jonathan Wacks, and actors Del Zamora, Sy Richardson, and Dick Rude
The Missing Scenes – a roundtable viewing of deleted scenes from the film with Cox, executive producer Michael Nesmith, real-life neutron bomb inventor Sam Cohen, and character "J. Frank Parnell"
Harry Zen Stanton – an extended interview with the legendary actor Harry Dean Stanton
• Original theatrical trailer
• A 44-page full colour booklet specially created by Cox, entitled The Repo Code and incorporating all manner of Repo ephemera
Last edited by swo17 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

colinr0380

Re: BD 27 Repo Man

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:00 pm

...this legendary variant, prepared by Cox for network television, incorporates deleted material and surreal overdubs in place of profanity
Including the notorious use of 'melon farmers' to substitute for another phrase beginning 'm... f...'! It is certainly up there with the TV version of Robocop for bizarre language substitutions!

I never picked up the Anchor Bay or Universal DVDs of Repo Man (so this release will finally be the time to upgrade from VHS!) but looking through the reviews it looks as if the commentary is from the Anchor Bay and the Repossessed, Missing Scenes and Harry Zen Stanton features are from the Universal re-release.

It looks as if the MoC is also adding to all this the Blu-ray upgrade (Naturally! Is this another situation similar to Silent Running and Touch of Evil where it will be Blu-Ray only?), the full alternate television version, the isolated score and effects track, the new interview with Cox and the booklet, making it quite the comprehensive package!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:04 pm

You can tell it's Blu-only from the banner across the top. So far, I believe everything from the Universal deal has been this way.

peerpee
not perpee

#4 Post by peerpee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Not everything is Blu-ray only -- MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and RUGGLES OF RED GAP are Dual Format, and there's more to come!

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#5 Post by Tribe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:40 pm

This isn't best thread for this type of inquiry....but are the Universal and Anchor Bay releases different from each other? There's a customer comment on Amazon that appears to take issue with the absence of certain scenes.

peerpee
not perpee

#6 Post by peerpee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:05 pm

That fella is clearly referring to the TV VERSION of the film, which appears on this Blu-ray as an extra.

Dick Laurent

#7 Post by Dick Laurent » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:51 am

Thanks for releasing this, while it's not considered a classic in the same way as some of the other anounced titles, this is a cult favorite of mine and i guess others to.
It's one of those movies that perfectly fits in the time it's made.
Also glad that after all his intoductions Alex Cox gets his own place in the MOC catalogue, very excited to hear his own toughts about the film.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 am

Tribe wrote:This isn't best thread for this type of inquiry....but are the Universal and Anchor Bay releases different from each other? There's a customer comment on Amazon that appears to take issue with the absence of certain scenes.
I liked the rave review that gave the film one star because "Otto wouldn't want more".

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:58 am

Masters of Cinema on Twitter wrote:Only the TOUCH OF EVIL SteelBook is restricted to HMV. SILENT RUNNING, REPO, and BLACKTOP SteelBooks will be avail. everywhere

skuhn8

#10 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:11 am

Masters of Cinema on Twitter wrote:Only the TOUCH OF EVIL SteelBook is restricted to HMV. SILENT RUNNING, REPO, and BLACKTOP SteelBooks will be avail. everywhere
Will MOC be making the steelbook available 'direct' (via Eureka)?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:52 am

If they're available everywhere, which they are, the answer is yes.

skuhn8

#12 Post by skuhn8 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:54 am

mfunk9786 wrote:If they're available everywhere, which they are, the answer is yes.
Touch of Evil steelbook?

Forrest Taft

#13 Post by Forrest Taft » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:00 am

That one is not available everywhere.

jamie_atp

#14 Post by jamie_atp » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:34 am

Oh i'm glad that's now been made clear

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:54 am

MoC Twitter wrote:Right, we're ditching the 5.1 track on our REPO MAN BD because Alex Cox didn't know it existed and hadn't authorised it (+ it had dropouts)

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:48 pm

In case anyone's wondering about the region code...

Emak-Bakia

#17 Post by Emak-Bakia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 am

I feel like this has probably already been addressed somewhere, but does anyone know when the pre-order will be made available directly fron Eureka?

criterionsnob

#18 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:22 pm

ouatitw

#19 Post by ouatitw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Dang, now I'll have to look for a multi region bluray player.

antnield

#20 Post by antnield » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 pm

zeroman987

#21 Post by zeroman987 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:06 am

This release is a steal at 21 bucks. The extras are cool (and I haven't even watched the HDS segment or the TV version yet!). The movie is a really fun ride with a cool soundtrack. Then again maybe I just like the punk rock aesthetic. I really don't think you could ask for more. Plus it looks great in hi-def and the booklet has a comic.

This praise is coming for a release that I was not all that excited about.