BD 23 Silent Running

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
peerpee
not perpee

Re: BD 23 Silent Running

#76 Post by peerpee » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:00 am

Will be interesting to see what Amazon do. It's their fault and they'll have to suffer it if they honour the price.

John Edmond

#77 Post by John Edmond » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:12 am

domino harvey wrote:I believe Amazon can sell it for whatever they want, MoC gets the same percentage of the list price
Thanks, just preordered Touch of Evil and three copies of Silent Running (it appears Christmas shopping has started early this year). If Amazon cancel on me then no loss.

JPJ

#78 Post by JPJ » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:18 am

Ordered Silent running and Touch of evil for 18.88,that's a pretty good deal.We'll see what they'll do.

John Edmond

#79 Post by John Edmond » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:08 am

stevewhamola

#80 Post by stevewhamola » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:16 am

Interesting that some of the bonus features are PAL, I believe a first for an MoC blu.

Calvin

#81 Post by Calvin » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:12 am

I've put my order in with Amazon just in case. In my experience mis-prices are honoured unless people on HotUKDeals (or similar sites) start ordering ridiculous quantities to make a profit from. Ruin it for everyone else really.

manicsounds

#82 Post by manicsounds » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:30 am

Blu-ray.com review of the disc

So the bonus materials are in PAL? So I presume the DVD is also in PAL?

perkizitore

#83 Post by perkizitore » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 am

It's currently their bestseller, it's hard that they won't notice the misprice...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#84 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:27 pm

It's interesting considering that this is Amazon, because this price mistake will also change the price on orders that people have already placed because of their built-in Pre-order Price Guarantee. So are they really going to cancel every Silent Running order?

eerik

#85 Post by eerik » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 pm

manicsounds wrote:Blu-ray.com review of the disc

So the bonus materials are in PAL? So I presume the DVD is also in PAL?
DVD?

Der Spieler

#86 Post by Der Spieler » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 pm

John Edmond wrote:Thanks, just preordered Touch of Evil and three copies of Silent Running (it appears Christmas shopping has started early this year).
I wish people would only order one copy, but I know I'm dreaming. Ordering more than one per person will probably hurt our chances of seeing the price hounoured.

McCrutchy

#87 Post by McCrutchy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:30 pm

stevewhamola wrote:Interesting that some of the bonus features are PAL, I believe a first for an MoC blu.
Svet's review now says the extras are NTSC, so perhaps it was his error. NTSC is far more likely, since these bonus materials were from over here to begin with.

Given the nature of MoC's line up, I would think that most or all of the Universal-licenced titles will have extras in 1080 or 480 res only.

MichaelB

#88 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:55 pm

It would be very very surprising indeed if they were PAL, given that they came from the US DVD, and that MoC has a policy of not putting PAL material on their Blu-rays.

John Edmond

#89 Post by John Edmond » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Der Spieler wrote:
John Edmond wrote:Thanks, just preordered Touch of Evil and three copies of Silent Running (it appears Christmas shopping has started early this year).
I wish people would only order one copy, but I know I'm dreaming. Ordering more than one per person will probably hurt our chances of seeing the price hounoured.
I did feel sheepish after making the order. However, the spare copies are going to be genuine Christmas presents - you won't be seeing them in the forums below. Plus I chose three because they add up to the original preorder price of Silent Running which in combination with my preorder for Touch of Evil gets me free shipping. If Amazon cancel the 3.99 Silent Runnings then I just reorder the normal priced Silent Running and Touch of Evil together - no muss, no fuss.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#90 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:19 am

I think I would have also ordered more than one, but since I don't know anyone with a BD player who would be interested by such a movie only with Eng subs, it's just gonna be one more copy for me, in addition to the steelbook pre-ordered from MoC.

Yeah, I like MoC THAT much. \:D/

jamie_atp

#91 Post by jamie_atp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:48 pm

So how long do amazon usually wait before cancelling orders in cases like this?

Duncan Hopper

#92 Post by Duncan Hopper » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:03 pm

I remember ordering a huge MGM (I think?) box set from Amazon CA, for a crazy price of something like $10, I think the list price was over one thousand dollars.
With that I got an email a few days later saying there had been an error and they canceled my order, I remember the tone of the email was one of 'don't bother trying to argue'. This was not a preorder though, I don't know if that changes things, what with the price guarantee and all.

MichaelB

#93 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Conversely, I ordered a Norman McLaren box for £10, assuming it was a misprice - and it was not only honoured, but the seller carried on selling at that price. So I ordered another one as a much-appreciated Christmas present.

matrixschmatrix

#94 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm

They had the pre-order of the DVD of Cul-de-sac up for $1 for a little while, and they cancelled my order, but gave me some store credit to make up for it when I called about it. As a general rule, Amazon will give you store credit for just about any complaint, at least in the US.

Calvin

#95 Post by Calvin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 pm

The problem that Amazon would have with cancelling pre-orders is that, thanks to their price guarantee, everyone that ordered prior to the price drop will have had their orders drop in price as well.

bigP

#96 Post by bigP » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:23 pm

I've never had an Amazon pre-order cancelled, and would be a bit miffed if they do it in this case. They certainly honoured a fair few of the (possibly) mis-priced Agnes Varda sets from Artificial eye (£9.99 I think, was it?) that I know of, and I picked up my BFI Naruse for £8.99 from them without problem. I've generally been more than impressed with Amazon's customer service and honouring of deals, so I'd be pretty shocked to see them not honour this.

Murdoch

#97 Post by Murdoch » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:32 pm

When the CC Cul-de-sac dvd was mispriced for $1 on Amazon they cancelled the orders.

exidor

#98 Post by exidor » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Calvin wrote:The problem that Amazon would have with cancelling pre-orders is that, thanks to their price guarantee, everyone that ordered prior to the price drop will have had their orders drop in price as well.
That doesn't seem to be how it works. I checked my preorder when news of the misprice emerged and it was still £12.97 or whatever it was when I ordered. I think the price guarantee only applies if the price is lower on the day of release - ie when the money leaves your account.

Incidentally...
The Forum wrote:Forum rules

Please do not clutter up the threads for MoC titles with information on pre-orders. You can announce the availability of pre-orders in the MoC: Cheapest Prices / Best Places to Buy / Pre-Orders thread. Any posts on pre-orders in any other thread will be deleted.
;)

Calvin

#99 Post by Calvin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I was under the impression that the price changed automatically but clearly that is not the case. The pre-order price guarantee does however state "you will be charged the lowest price offered by Amazon.co.uk between the time the order was placed and the item's release date."

Of course, this is not the correct place to be posting such matters. Perhaps a mod could move this conversation?

djvaso

#100 Post by djvaso » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:40 am

It is interesting for me that this disc on Amazon shows strange price elasticity now.
In any case this was good marketing for Eureka.