BD 19 Cœur fidèle

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Knappen

Re: BD 19 Coeur fidèle

#76 Post by Knappen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:25 pm

The original broadcast was in 1080..

MichaelB

#77 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Bright Lights Film Journal:
Like their Blu-ray of Murnau's City Girl, Master of Cinema's Coeur Fidèle is another example of a silent film miraculously surviving in nearly pristine shape — as if nigh onto 90 years mattered not at all — and then, just as miraculously, made available to all in the video marketplace. What times we live in!

denti alligator

#78 Post by denti alligator » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Release of the year.

This is staggeringly beautiful, and I commend MoC for putting this out in 1080p. Thank you! Thank you! I know sales will not be superb, but please please release more of these silents in 1080p.

I thought the score, by the way, was absolutely marvelous. Nearly perfect. I 'm so sick of the standard solo piano for silent films, which gets old real quick. Cyrin's approach is in my opinion the way to go: minimalist and understated.

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#79 Post by "membrillo" » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:25 am

Has anybody found a retailer that has this in stock recently?

Everyone I have found lists a 1 month wait for shipping.

MB17

#80 Post by MB17 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:40 am

Send Eureka an email, they normally are willing to invoice you via paypal with free shipping.

TMDaines

#81 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Such a fantastic release. With a transfer as glorious as there it's hard to decide who deserves the most credit. The director and cinematographer themselves, those who were behind the restoration of the film or the Masters of Cinema team. Surely a combination of all three! I'm not sure whether this or the Czech print of Sunrise looks more beautiful. Both are truly reference quality.

This is a perfect example of what can make silent cinema still so great eighty years on. A simple tale combined with beautiful visuals. I would suggest the story is what one could describe as Zola-esque naturalism.

puxzkkx

#82 Post by puxzkkx » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:22 pm

I saw this last year - not sure if it was this release - but it was gorgeous! It reminded me of the flipside to L'Atalante in some ways, a simple story told through poetic realism, defined through the purity of its emotion but here the dominating emotion is pain as opposed to L'Atalante's bittersweet joy. What a beautiful film, and the fairground scene is deservedly legendary. I saw this with a recent score which fitted it to a T, a very minimalist piano-based track - however I can't remember who did it.

antnield

#83 Post by antnield » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:27 pm

puxzkkx wrote:I saw this with a recent score which fitted it to a T, a very minimalist piano-based track - however I can't remember who did it.
That would be Maxence Cyrin. The same (wonderful) score is used on the MoC edition.