104 / BD 14 Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
perkizitore

Re: BD 14 Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

#51 Post by perkizitore » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:22 am

On the booklet criterionforum.org gets a special thanks!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#52 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:20 pm

I adored the first two acts of this film, but the milk jokes (come on) and Randall's sudden dislike of his job (you got everything you ever wanted!) sort of took me out of things late in the game. A lot of clever, funny, and often beautiful filmmaking here though. This was my first Tashlin, looking forward to more, hopefully they all have a similar Neil Simon by-way-of Tex Avery vibe.

zedz

#53 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm rather new to Tashlin as well, thanks largely to domino convincing me to buy that UK Jerry Lewis set, but if you like the Tex Avery side of things, The Geisha Boy is a must, with plenty of visual gags involving a cute bunny rabbit that are as close to live-action Looney Tunes as anything I've seen.

LQ

#54 Post by LQ » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm rather new to Tashlin as well, thanks largely to domino convincing me to buy that UK Jerry Lewis set, but if you like the Tex Avery side of things, The Geisha Boy is a must, with plenty of visual gags involving a cute bunny rabbit that are as close to live-action Looney Tunes as anything I've seen.
I too can thank domino (and the Beatles Anthology segment that shows a clip of The Girl Can't Help It!) for getting me into Tashlin, although I've only seen Girl and Rock Hunter so far. It'll be interesting to see a film of his that doesn't star Mansfield...she just seems essential in Tashlin's cinematic fabric!

zedz

#55 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Jayne Mansfield is perfect and hilarious in these films. I must confess that I had extremely polarised reactions to the Jerry Lewis films, even from scene to scene, so be warned. Mansfield is a much more effective comic presence, in my opinion, though Lewis is far more a creative collaborator, for better and worse, and he takes the Tashlin visual style even further in some of his own films as director.

Murdoch

#56 Post by Murdoch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 pm

If you're not afraid of dipping into the Warner Archive Susan Slept Here is worth a look, its bubblegum-colored dream sequence alone is worth the price and really shows off Tashlin's great use of color and music.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:53 pm

Yes, Susan Slept Here and particularly Hollywood or Bust are probably Tashlin's two greatest films, though the underrated the Man From the Diners' Club is also up there. Picking up the UK Jerry Lewis boxed set, which is obscenely cheap, is a must-- and not just for the Tashlins, but for the very-indebted Lewis masterworks like the Ladies Man and the Family Jewels. Zedz once wrote me a brilliant and in-depth as ever PM response to Tashlin's the Geisha Boy... I wish he'd share it with the world in the Tashlin thread, but what can you do? Speaking of, we do have a Tashlin thread where I've lately been running through Tashlin's also-rans as I work my way toward completion of his oeuvre, for the adventurous amongst you

zedz

#58 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:26 pm

domino harvey wrote: Zedz once wrote me a brilliant and in-depth as ever PM response to Tashlin's the Geisha Boy... I wish he'd share it with the world in the Tashlin thread, but what can you do?
I barely remembered that particular brain dump, but since it was only two fresh messages away from going out the back door of my Sent Box, I'll resurrect it in the Tashlin thread. (Don't worry, domino, I'll remove all references to your fabulous interpretive tap dance at the Little House on the Prairie convention.)

Finch

#59 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:11 pm

By the way, Artists and Models was released by Paramount Germany on a reportedly fine DVD available here just in case anyone doesn't want to spend money on the Lewis/Dean Vol 2 set just for the Tashlin pic.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:51 pm

What about the other Tashlin in the set, the even-better Hollywood or Bust?

Finch

#61 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:06 pm

No luck, I'm afraid. Took me a while to find the German title for it ("Alles um Anita") but it's not listed on amazon.de or any other German e-tailer. I don't think it's been released in France either.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#62 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:09 pm

That second OOP Martin and Lewis set is getting pretty steep in price, too-- a real shame, both are excellent Tashlins (and it goes without saying, but the best Martin/Lewis comedies too)

Finch

#63 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:27 pm

The asking prices for both sets are mind-boggling, yes. The lowest price is $68.64 on ebay. Losing out on Hollywood or Bust may be frustrating but at least one can get Artists and Models for a very reasonable price (I ordered my copy).

The Spanish etailer Starcafe has a release of Man from the Diner's Club by Columbia (!) here. I have no idea what the PQ is like and whether the Spanish subs can be removed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#64 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:26 pm

finch wrote:The Spanish etailer Starcafe has a release of Man from the Diner's Club by Columbia (!) here. I have no idea what the PQ is like and whether the Spanish subs can be removed.
A great transfer-- someone ripped it and put it on YouTube if you want to sample

Peacock

#65 Post by Peacock » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 pm

Wow, thanks MoC for releasing this; and doing so on Blu-ray (i'm not going to lie, the dvdbeaver caps didn't look as good as I'd hoped for a Blu, but really, projecting this at home it looked absolutely stunning!)
If anyone's wavering about this release they should just go for it, it reminded me a lot of Masumura's Giants and Toys - without the insane self destruction - but quite similar fast pace, advertising agency, bright colors, use of the wide frame, character's lacking morality etc...
But yeah, still trying to get my head round this one, but I had a lot of fun! So thanks guys, it would be great if you could release more Tashlin on Blu someday!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#66 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 pm

The dual format edition only just recently became available a few days ago when Eureka offered it for sale directly. The Blu-only is OOP and a collector's item, hence the high prices.

giovannii84

Re: 104 / BD 14 Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

#67 Post by giovannii84 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:00 am

Does anyone know if there are there any plans to put this back into print?