93 / BD 184 House

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
karmajuice

Re: 93 House [Hausu]

#26 Post by karmajuice » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:12 pm

I have seen this and am psyched about the ability to own it on DVD. It's a completely absurd film, and I can only think of two ways to aptly describe it:
1) It has all the energy, madness, chaos, and irrationality of the craziest animes, but it's live-action.
2) My thoughts while watching this were, "This looks like a film literally made by a child." With all the free-association, ridiculous twists, and nonsense you'd expect. Later, while reading about it, I learned that the film was allegedly written by the director's child. Dunno where I read that or whether it's true, but it makes perfect sense.

Certainly not a cinematic masterwork in any standard sense of the word (I'm surprised that CC and MoC are pursuing it), but a fascinating piece of pure unbridled excess. Highly recommended in that capacity.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#28 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:50 pm

ArchStanton wrote:It sounds like the MoC DVD is definitely using the old Toho transfer, then, which is not so great. It doesn't matter if it's a new encode - without going back to film or doing some kind of digital restoration, it won't improve it very much. I assume that MoC are going to be using the same extras from the old Toho disc, too? They list 90 minutes of interviews with Obayashi and his daughter, and others, and that's what's on the jewel case DVD from Toho.

Personally, I'm going to wait for the inevitable Criterion DVD, which will feature their new HD restoration and most likely some new extras. Maybe some of Obayashi's tasty commercials from the 1970s?
But the Toho disc has no English subtitles.

Sanjuro

#29 Post by Sanjuro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:38 am

Is this MoC disc going to have the same transfer?
It won't be the 'same transfer'
It sounds like the MoC DVD is definitely using the old Toho transfer
Too many (or perhaps not enough) technical words appear to be being misused in this thread.

Can someone explain more clearly? - Film restoration vs HD restoration? What is it that Criterion are apparently going to do differently? Isn't everyone stuck with whatever Toho give them?

JabbaTheSlut

#30 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Hhhausss.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN0HVJ5tkIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beautiful.

James

#31 Post by James » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Sanjuro wrote:What is it that Criterion are apparently going to do differently? Isn't everyone stuck with whatever Toho give them?
Blu-ray, I'm guessing.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#32 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:16 pm

Sanjuro wrote:What is it that Criterion are apparently going to do differently?
I'm hoping for a complete set of Charles Bronson's Mandom ads that Obayashi did in the '70s. As much as I want this film in my collection, I am boycotting any DVD/Blu-Ray release that doesn't include these as a matter of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8bqVL0VXrE

-BJ

Ben Cheshire

#33 Post by Ben Cheshire » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:21 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:What is it that Criterion are apparently going to do differently?
I'm hoping for a complete set of Charles Bronson's Mandom ads that Obayashi did in the '70s. As much as I want this film in my collection, I am boycotting any DVD/Blu-Ray release that doesn't include these as a matter of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8bqVL0VXrE

-BJ
Behind the Scenes:

Obayashi: More cologne. Splash it on.

Bronson: We've already got five minutes of this.

Obayashi: Just keep splashing, I'll get another crate. Sinchi, more cologne for Mr. Bronson!

Bronson: I just had a shower, I don't even smell...

MichaelB

#34 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Sanjuro wrote:Can someone explain more clearly? - Film restoration vs HD restoration? What is it that Criterion are apparently going to do differently? Isn't everyone stuck with whatever Toho give them?
I was certainly under the impression that Toho operated a "like it or lump it" policy with their masters - and that Criterion didn't have any particular leverage over them.

peerpee
not perpee

#35 Post by peerpee » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Word is that Criterion have done their own HD master of HOUSE.

manicsounds

#36 Post by manicsounds » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm

So I'm guessing that MoC and Crit will look different because they are coming from different masters? Kinda like how different say "Vengeance is Mine" looked?

Why isn't MoC worrking together with Criterion on this one? Seems to have worked in the past.

Ben Cheshire

#37 Post by Ben Cheshire » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:11 am

peerpee wrote:Word is that Criterion have done their own HD master of HOUSE.
So the results might be good enough for a blu from Crit, compared to MoC's DVD? Anyone feel like speculating? When does Criterion's next newsletter hit, I wonder?

Finch

#38 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 am

Beaver on House:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews48/hausu.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: MoC's menus are superb.

Finch

#39 Post by Finch » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Slant on the Janus print on theatrical US release:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/film_ ... sp?ID=4721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a good read, sounds like a fair summary of the film.

antnield

#40 Post by antnield » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:22 am

Duncan Hopper

#41 Post by Duncan Hopper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Got my copy of House in the mail this morning.
Just watched it, what a wild film it is!
As always, a fantastic job by MOC.

Now for the extras.

Murdoch

#42 Post by Murdoch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Duncan Hopper wrote:Got my copy of House in the mail this morning.
Just watched it, what a wild film it is!
As always, a fantastic job by MOC.
By my count that's two haikus in one!

HerrSchreck

#43 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Good god, I saw this on the big screen last weekend at the IFC... and my god it was one of the craziest film experiences bar none. The guy pushes the Sensory Overload Envelope to such a degree it started verging on Screwy Squirrel Territory-- those Tex Avery toons throw so much manic energy one after another, slinging so many extreme gags without giving you time to breathe and recover.. yet it's so hilarious and original... you simply cannot compare it to anything. If this doesn't get announced soon by CC I'll hafta grab the MoC. Obviously one of those films you can watch ten times right in a row and catch something you missed each time you watch it.

And the restoration is simply incredible, looking like it was filmed yesterday. The use of matte inserts and other pre-CGI effects were, given the time frame, pretty much seamless... at least right up until the near-end, where the lead girl's (Beautiful I think it is) step-mom to be comes to the house and views the horizon after taking in the banana dude.

Run, don't walk.

bigP

#44 Post by bigP » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

It really is a one-of-a-kind film, and that the story is - at a basic but crucial level - from the mind of an 11-year old girl filtered through the imagination and artistry of a technical and visionary wizard is the only way my mind can cope with such wonders as -
SpoilerShow
the cat mewing the recurring theme tune, a decapitated head somersaulting through the air and biting a girls ass, a girl squished through a grandfather clock, the most original and head-scratching de-frocking of girls i've ever seen and a character called Kung-Fu, who does exactly that [even when unnecessary], and is utterly brilliant.
Having watched this back-to-back with Vera Chytilová's Daisies, i've been left a little spun out over the last few days, but have happily witnessed, in both films, a journey through some of the most imaginative and masterful film making on both a technical and artistic levels that i've seen in a long time.

StevenJ0001

#45 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Saw the Janus print last night. The film is, as somebody else mentioned above, like an anime comedy-fantasy in live-action. Definitely worth seeing.

The print looked beautiful after the first reel, which looked like a 16mm reduction. Strange.

The matte shots of skies and backgrounds are amazing for their time: they appear seamless for the most part, until you look closely enough to notice the registration variations.