Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
JimmyTango

Re: Mondo Vision

#601 Post by JimmyTango » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:33 am

nolanoe wrote:When will somebody finally think of On The Silver Globe?? [-X [-o<
Good point, I thought the same and asked Mondo Vision in September. From their reply it was revealed ''On The Silver Globe" was put aside until they could release it on Blu-ray which would mean further production efforts. In place "Blue Note" went into production and as of September is scheduled to be released sometime in 2015. Since this correspondence Mondo Vision announced "Boris Godunov" so I'm not positive what the release order will be concerning each title. Hopefully all three will be released in 2015.

David M.

#602 Post by David M. » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:45 am

GIven that there's still a lot of unreleased Zulawski, it makes more sense for Mondo Vision to change the order and release what's most within reach.

Shame because the MPEG-2 version of Silver Globe was fine-tuned to within an inch of its life and, seeing as the whole film on a single DVD9. The BD will be better still obviously.

MichaelB

#603 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:55 am

For similar reasons, although Arrow will hopefully be releasing more Borowczyk after Dr Jekyll, it made sense to abandon chronological order once the box set had been completed, because once you move away from the stuff owned by his widow and/or Argos Films, things get a lot messier and more time-consuming in terms of rights clearances.

nolanoe

#604 Post by nolanoe » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:44 pm

For similar reasons, although Arrow will hopefully be releasing more Borowczyk after Dr Jekyll, it made sense to abandon chronological order once the box set had been completed, because once you move away from the stuff owned by his widow and/or Argos Films, things get a lot messier and more time-consuming in terms of rights clearances.
Correct me here if I am wrong, but there is also surely the unlicensed-rights problem for the OST of La Marge (fantastic film) - and is it even easy to get your hands on anything from 1980 onwards? I heard good things about Dr Jekyll, so fingers crossed this one looks good.

JimmyTango

#605 Post by JimmyTango » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:10 am

http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton ... more-16241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ron

#606 Post by Ron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:23 am

Wow!
The imagery of this movie is really powerful! Is there any chance to see On the Silver Globe on Blu-ray by this year?

Telstar

#607 Post by Telstar » Mon May 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Ron wrote:
Wow!
The imagery of this movie is really powerful! Is there any chance to see On the Silver Globe on Blu-ray by this year?
Just bumping this thread to see if there are any updates on the status of Silver Globe or Mondo's other upcoming AZ titles.

David M.

#608 Post by David M. » Mon May 25, 2015 5:54 pm

We're working on some right now, but without the OK from Mondo Vision themselves, I can't tell you any more.

What A Disgrace

#609 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon May 25, 2015 9:59 pm

I like the sound of "some", suggesting plurality. I can't wait to give Mondo more of my money.

Iode

#610 Post by Iode » Tue May 26, 2015 12:23 pm

I hope the news is that they've partnered up with some rich producer and they'll be releasing stuff on a regular basis from now on!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#611 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue May 26, 2015 9:24 pm

David M. wrote:We're working on some right now, but without the OK from Mondo Vision themselves, I can't tell you any more.
That's very welcome news! I hope that means MV made enough off the Possession blu to start production on more than one film.

nolanoe

#612 Post by nolanoe » Sat May 30, 2015 9:49 am

I wonder who MV will turn to after actually completing Zulawski (which isn't too far away, of you count what's left to be released). I can imagine, with some extra $$$, that they'll try to get additional BDs for each, but doubt that's a viable option.
So, on to another filmmaker - but who?

Beyonder

#613 Post by Beyonder » Sat May 30, 2015 10:25 am

nolanoe wrote:I wonder who MV will turn to after actually completing Zulawski (which isn't too far away, of you count what's left to be released). I can imagine, with some extra $$$, that they'll try to get additional BDs for each, but doubt that's a viable option.
So, on to another filmmaker - but who?
I remember e-mailing Mondo Vision a couple of years ago, probably harping on about the release schedule. I also wondered which director be up next. While I don't have access to that e-mail account (the provider closed their service down) I remember Maziar replying that they had no intention of releasing any further films once Zulawski was completed. Of course, things might have changed since then... Personally, I would love for them to release some of Konstantin Lopushansky's science fiction films. Posetitel muzeya/A Visitor to a Museum (1989) shares some ground thematically and aesthetically with On the Silver Globe, and is a great film in its own right. Letters from a Dead Man (1986) is great, too.

Beyonder

#614 Post by Beyonder » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:20 am

And so - finally the Mondo Vision website is updated. La Note Bleue up next. While it's not my most eagerly awaited Mondo Vision-release (Na Srebrnym Globie takes the prize) it will be nice to see La Note Bleue properly restored and subtitled, and on Bleue-Ray (sorry, couldn't resist).

Mathew2468

#615 Post by Mathew2468 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Fuck yes, thank god, this is the one I've needed.

Calvin

#616 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Terrific news!

Good to see that the Possession Blu-Ray wasn't a one-off and that looks to be the modus operandi going forward. If they don't have any further plans post-Zulawski, hopefully they go back and redo La Femme Publique, L'important c'est d'aimer, L'amour braque and Szamanka in HD as well.

Can't wait to see Zulawski's new film, Cosmos, as well. Though I may be waiting a while if it doesn't get a distributor soon.

Mathew2468

#617 Post by Mathew2468 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Clip from Cosmos:

https://vimeo.com/133443797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3 others but I don't know how to not embed them.

I don't know what's going on.

Telstar

#618 Post by Telstar » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 pm

David M. wrote:There's no master of Boris Godunov. I think the only print that's occasionally wheeled out for festival screenings is beat-up and has subtitles lasered into it.

It will need a proper new scan and cleanup job (let's use the overused "restoration" phrase if the materials are in bad enough shape). Which relies on getting access to them. I think there's some debate as to who owns the rights and perhaps even where the materials are.
In light of Gaumont's Boris Godunov BD, is there an update to MondoVision's plans for this title?

David M.

#619 Post by David M. » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:25 pm

You'd have to ask them, but obviously my comments about there being no master no longer hold true :)

eltopo

#620 Post by eltopo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:38 am

RIP Andrzej Zulawski

MichaelB

#621 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:11 am

Calvin wrote:Can't wait to see Zulawski's new film, Cosmos, as well. Though I may be waiting a while if it doesn't get a distributor soon.
It now has distribution in both the US (Kino) and UK (Arrow).

Grand Wazoo

#622 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:19 pm

Yesterday I attended screenings of the new restorations of Devil and On The Silver Globe at Lincoln Center. These are gorgeous, revelatory restorations, especially for all of us who have been stuck with the washed out bootleg versions for so many years. The colors in Devil pop like never before and everything is so clear, no more muddy blacks where one can't distinguish what's happening in the frame. But On the Silver Globe is stunning beyond what I could have expected. I know this phrase gets bandied about often, but no joke this looks like it was shot yesterday. I was absolutely floored. These screenings were introduced by Daniel Bird and he moderated a brief opening q&a with DP Andrzej Jaroszewicz and composer Andrzej Korzynski. One of them said that Zulawski only signed off for the Silver Globe resto one week ago, just days before he died. I guess this is why the Mondo release has been delayed for so long.

David M.

#623 Post by David M. » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:34 am

Silver Globe was done on DVD for the most part but basically got lost in the move to HD (which incidentally enough was something I'd been telling indie labels about since 2006, originally none of them wanted to know :lol: )

It was a pretty nice DVD, but hopefully Mondo will get the new restoration for BD.

beamish13

#624 Post by beamish13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:34 am

The wide lenses, in tandem with the color scheme in Silver Globe imbue it with a near-stereoscopic/three-dimensional look in certain scenes that I have simply never seen in another film.

Ashirg

#625 Post by Ashirg » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm not sure when La Note Bleue got its own page. No date is set yet.