Flicker Alley

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Glowingwabbit

Re: Flicker Alley

#876 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:21 am

Flicker Alley replied to my tweet about it saying "It's a combination of timing, budget, & rights."

It's still an amazing set and I'll definitely get it (I was just curious, slightly bummed, by that one).

zedz

#877 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Ashirg wrote: Image
Four of the films in this collection arrived after the release of the much larger anthology Masterworks of the American Avant-garde Experimental Film, 1920-1970 had gone to press; they are such beautiful and extraordinary works that deserve to be seen after decades of unavailability. All are brilliant and true color copies mastered in high definition from original Kodachrome master copies or camera films.

Abstract in Concrete (1952). John Arvonio shot footage for this stunning pattern film of New York City at night over a five-year period. The music by Frank Fields is a movement of his 1931 suite Times Square Silhouette. Although it was quite successful and widely shown in the 1950s, Arvonio never released another film.

Analogies #1 and Color Dances #1 are both by Jim Davis (1952-53). Painter, sculptor and a major figure in '50's avant-garde film, Davis is represented in the Masterworks anthology by Evolution. "Abstract and mysterious to many spectators, these waves and studies of light were for Davis images if the causative forces of nature." - ReVoir

Treadle and Bobbin by Wheaton Galentine (1954). The Singer treadle sewing machine stars in this rhythmic and imaginatively photographed work. "A distinguished visual analysis of moving parts, well exploited for beauty and interest and notable for its fresh observation." - Melbourne (Australia) Int'l Film Festival. Galentine collaborated with other major independent filmmakers of the period including Francis Thompson, Shirley Clarke and Alexander Hammid, but this is his only released solo work.

N.Y., N.Y. by Francis Thompson (Filmed 1949-57, released 1958). Thompson shot the vibrant fractured images with a Kodak Cine-Special camera specially rigged with "secret" mirrors, kaleidoscopes and even reflective car hubcaps. The experience remains an exquisite time capsule that not only documents Manhattan during the 1950s but also, in the words of the New York Times, proffers "one of the few genuine masterpieces" of the burgeoning experimental film movement in the United States.
This is a great disc, and a welcome addendum to the fabulous Masterworks set. It's a really well-compiled programme, with connections running from film to film.

Abstract in Concrete I'd already seen (on one of the Centre Pompidou discs?) and it's great. It's a moody study of neon reflected in rain-slicked streets, like old jazz album covers come to vibrant life.

Analogies #1 follows up on the reflections theme by pairing real world reflections on water with Davis's light-bending abstract images. It's attractive enough, but the slightest film in the programme.

Color Dance #1 uses the same technique to much more striking effect, building into brilliantly orchestrated fluid neon spashes cascading across a black background. An unexpected masterpiece arising from what initially seemed like a rather constrained image-making apparatus.

Bobbin and Treadle is a whole lot of arty close-ups of an old Singer sewing machine, and it's surprisingly compelling. Evocative of the Quay Brothers' more abstract work.

N.Y., N.Y. reappears from the Masterworks set. Great film anyway.

Saturnome

#878 Post by Saturnome » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Seems like Marie Epstein's La Maternelle isn't included in the upcoming Early Women Filmmakers set anymore... Too bad, I was really happy about this one.

What A Disgrace

#879 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:33 am

According to the 2017 calendar, Page of Madness, Portrait of a Young Man in Three Movements, Storm Over Asia, Los tallos amargos, Repeat Performance, The Lost World (1925), A Trip to the Moon, Faces of Children, Crainquebille, and Phantom (Murnau, 1922) are all being released on dual format editions or Blu-ray this year.

filmandpolitics

#880 Post by filmandpolitics » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:41 am

Yes, LA MATERNELLE would have been great - sadly, Riefenstahl's Nazi propaganda is still in.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#881 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 am

Of course A Page of Madness is going to be a major release. Was that ever even available on VHS in the west? Seems like a still neglected masterpiece that I never figured a home video company would touch.

Los Tallos Amaragos is also an excellent Argentenian noir with gorgeous cinematography and an excellent script. It takes sick detours and features one of the sweatiest main characters I've seen in a while. I saw the UCLA Film and Television restoration premiere a month ago and it seems like a lot of care was put into restoring what was thought to be a lost film. I didn't figure this would come to Blu-Ray, but it makes sense considering it's another Film Noir Foundation/UCLA restoration.

Flicker Alley is truly the best!

Roscoe

#882 Post by Roscoe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Those calendars aren't always accurate -- Flicker Alley never did release that BIRTH OF A NATION from a couple of years back.

What A Disgrace

#883 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Portrait of a Young Man and Page of Madness are both advertised on the same page of the calendar, and described as spine number 52, so not only is this a two-pack but its probably their next release (Behind the Door is number 51).

HitchcockLang

#884 Post by HitchcockLang » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:09 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:According to the 2017 calendar, Page of Madness, Portrait of a Young Man in Three Movements, Storm Over Asia, Los tallos amargos, Repeat Performance, The Lost World (1925), A Trip to the Moon, Faces of Children, Crainquebille, and Phantom (Murnau, 1922) are all being released on dual format editions or Blu-ray this year.
Phew! I almost went out of my way to buy the current Trip to the Moon blu-ray which I kept putting off (based on its price to content ratio and the fact that I had already seen the film numerous times). I wonder how this release will differ (no forced Air soundtrack? Could it be part of a bigger Méliès BD set? 3D perhaps?).
Last edited by HitchcockLang on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#885 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:11 pm

That's why I didn't freak out when A Trip To the Moon went OOP. I imagine/hope it's Flicker Alley's version of Metropolis, and helps them keep the lights on!

What A Disgrace

#886 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:56 pm

For the sake of clarification, the calendar describes each of these releases as...

"FA0052 - Blu-ray/DVD Dual-Format Edition, 2017" - Portrait of a Young Man / A Page of Madness

"Deluxe Blu-ray Edition, 2017" - Storm Over Asia, Phantom

"Blu-ray/DVD Dual-Format Edition, 2017" - Los tallos amargos, Repeat Performance, A Trip To the Moon, the two Feyder films

"Exclusive Blu-ray edition by the Blackhawk Films@ Collection and Flicker Alley (2017)" - Lost World

midnitedave

#887 Post by midnitedave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:41 am

From Facebook:
New & Improved MOD Collection! 15% OFF MOD Blu-rays/DVDs with promo code FLICKER15 thru April 30! Shop Now: http://www.flickeralley.com/MOD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fdm

#888 Post by fdm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Didn't realize that some of their blu-rays were BD-Rs.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#889 Post by soundchaser » Thu May 04, 2017 6:50 pm

fdm wrote:Didn't realize that some of their blu-rays were BD-Rs.
I think it's only those on the MOD page. Everything sold in their regular shop should be a pressed disc.

fdm

#890 Post by fdm » Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 am

Obv, but at the time I was unaware that some of their titles were BD-R only, I thought all of their blu-rays were pressed. (But now I also see where the Curtis Harrington set that was once available in pressed form is now only available burnt.)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#892 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat May 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Not sure if anyone is on Flicker Alley's e-mail list, but sadly A Page of Madness will be a MOD Blu-Ray only. A shame as with proper word of mouth and buzz, I feel like it would be perfect for rediscovery by younger audiences.

What A Disgrace

#893 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 pm

That's just a shame and a half.

L.A.

#894 Post by L.A. » Sat May 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Just great. :-x

Calvin

#895 Post by Calvin » Sat May 27, 2017 2:37 pm

That's disappointing news. Hopefully MoC or Arrow will licence the restoration and give it a proper pressed release

htdm

#896 Post by htdm » Sat May 27, 2017 3:32 pm

MoC...help?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#897 Post by swo17 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:56 pm

I'm gonna protest by buying it.

Finch

#898 Post by Finch » Sat May 27, 2017 5:34 pm

Calvin wrote:That's disappointing news. Hopefully MoC or Arrow will licence the restoration and give it a proper pressed release
I don't remember off-hand, but have Arrow issued a silent film before? MoC would seem the logical choice.

Calvin

#899 Post by Calvin » Sat May 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Finch wrote:
Calvin wrote:That's disappointing news. Hopefully MoC or Arrow will licence the restoration and give it a proper pressed release
I don't remember off-hand, but have Arrow issued a silent film before? MoC would seem the logical choice.
I don't believe so, but I do recall them saying that they'd like to but have yet to find the right title.

I do agree that MoC would be the best choice for A Page of Madness.
Last edited by Calvin on Sat May 27, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#900 Post by swo17 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:02 pm

It would certainly be a good place for Arrow to start. And they do have some kind of relationship with FA already with last year's noirs.