Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
rapta

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#2201 Post by rapta » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:46 am

senseabove wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:41 pm
Strickland's praising AE/Curzon for being responsive to his calls about this set—and responding to replies—if anybody feels like asking to him to make sure they don't botch the encode.
4 of the 6 discs will likely just be a repress of their previous Blu-ray releases. Looks like the other two discs will be Katalin Varga and a bonus disc of short films and music videos. If they manage to botch either of those, I'm sure Strickland wouldn't be as complimentary to them as he has been.

I'm in the same camp as others who are just after Katalin Varga in HD, though I'd be interested in the bonus disc too. But I can't consider the current asking price...£70 for mostly double-dips isn't something I'd sanely consider, as much as I like and respect Strickland and his work. Curzon would do well to at least offer a 'barebones' edition later on, without all the paraphernalia, or at the very least release Katalin Varga individually (perhaps with the bonus disc as well).

ryannichols7

#2202 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 am
They certainly used to, so it's not at all unlikely.
I figured that'd be the case, given they did the region B release of Satantango. I'm interested to see if they'd do a UHD for Werckmeister, and whether Family Nest would be released, for obvious purposes...

MichaelB

#2203 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:00 pm

rapta wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:46 am
Curzon would do well to at least offer a 'barebones' edition later on, without all the paraphernalia, or at the very least release Katalin Varga individually (perhaps with the bonus disc as well).
Based on extensive precedent, I think you're living in a dreamworld there. The whole point of these discs is to persuade people like me who already have most of the features to stump up for the box set.

What A Disgrace

#2204 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm

I went ahead and ordered/preordered the Ostlund, von Trier and Strickland idiot boxes, I cannot fathom where I'm going to fit them.

Yakushima

#2205 Post by Yakushima » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 pm

The Aki Kaurismäki Collection Blu-ray box set is currently in stock at Rarewaves for $43.99!

therewillbeblus

#2207 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 pm

Rats, I just ordered the Kaurismäki from Orbit this week!

Can anyone speak to the quality of the Bong or Becker sets? Also, I'm tempted to finally grab that Godard set solely for Une femme est une femme on blu

rapta

#2208 Post by rapta » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 pm

I bought the Kaurismäki set from HMV sometime last year, the last copy they had available and it arrived and was a shop-spoiled reseal. I complained and they said there was no more stock, and gave me a few quid off, but now I kinda wish I'd waited...ah well.

The Bong set is mostly barebones, IIRC, other than the extras they already had for the previous Curzon releases (i.e. Parasite, Memories of Murder, Barking Dogs Never Bite). I didn't bother with it since I already owned The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer and Parasite individually, so just went for the Memories of Murder/Barking Dogs Never Bite double-set instead. Still, a neat little set if you just wanted to get those six films in one go (and includes the B&W edition of Parasite, which was initially exclusive to the steelbook until the 4K edition was announced).

As for StudioCanal sets, I would buy the Becker one but I already have four of the five discs and as far as I'm aware they're the same discs (so I just need Edward & Caroline). The Godard set is worth getting for a few Blu-ray upgrades that aren't available individually (ditto the Melville and Buñuel sets).

therewillbeblus

#2209 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm

I'm mostly wondering if the Bong set's transfers are significantly worse than Criterion's for the two films, and/or don't include valuable extras

therewillbeblus

#2211 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 01, 2024 3:01 pm

Any chance this will have a different look than the Criterion?

nicolas

#2212 Post by nicolas » Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:01 pm
Any chance this will have a different look than the Criterion?
This is a very rare yes. Usually these masters are all but identical worldwide yet Memories of Murder appears to have been regraded in Korea shortly after the Criterion BD release. For more details on the Korean UHD, see my post on the other forum: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=1

M-A

#2213 Post by M-A » Wed May 01, 2024 7:59 pm

nicolas wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 pm
This is a very rare yes. Usually these masters are all but identical worldwide yet Memories of Murder appears to have been regraded in Korea shortly after the Criterion BD release. For more details on the Korean UHD, see my post on the other forum: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=1
The French blu-ray has the "non-green" look and came out 3(!) years before the Criterion. No release of the 4K restoration (other than the Criterion) has the green tint, so I guess they just added it themselves like they did with Shoah.

therewillbeblus

#2214 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 01, 2024 8:03 pm

M-A wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:59 pm
nicolas wrote:
The French blu-ray has the "non-green" look and came out 3(!) years before the Criterion. No release of the 4K restoration (other than the Criterion) has the green tint, so I guess they just added it themselves like they did with Shoah.
It's been well-documented that Bong was involved with Criterion and this is the way he wanted the film to look. I still don't like it nor do I agree with a few stylistic choices thematically, as outlined in its dedicated thread, so I'm definitely looking to swap out if this is warmer, particularly during the outdoor crime scene.. scenes

nicolas

#2215 Post by nicolas » Wed May 01, 2024 8:12 pm

M-A wrote:
nicolas wrote:
I had no idea but this is absolutely ridiculous. Not you stating the facts obviously but this incredibly perplexing decision, whether on Bong’s or Criterion’s part. Thankfully we have much better alternatives available already and soon likely one more from Curzon.

nicolas

#2216 Post by nicolas » Wed May 01, 2024 8:13 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:03 pm
M-A wrote:
nicolas wrote:
It's been well-documented that Bong was involved with Criterion and this is the way he wanted the film to look. I still don't like it nor do I agree with a few stylistic choices thematically, as outlined in its dedicated thread, so I'm definitely looking to swap out if this is warmer, particularly during the outdoor crime scene.. scenes
Here are some cap comparisons. The UHDs are all SDR as well: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15780&d2=12175&c=4794

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2217 Post by tenia » Thu May 02, 2024 2:19 am

I might be mistaken, but wasn't Bong also implicated on the master serving for the French (and others) releases before the Criterion ? Maybe he changed his mind, but it remains surprising to have several releases sharing the same basis, ONE of them standing aside with a surprising strong green tint that seemingly kinda comes from no known reason so far, and that's actually the one that'd be Director-faithful.

therewillbeblus

#2218 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 02, 2024 7:11 am

Maybe he stepped in a different river