Grasshopper Film

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Grasshopper Film

#126 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Grasshopper, I know we scared you away from your quick responding in this thread, but free advice: just go the Kickstarter route for a Blu-ray release if you really think you can't support one otherwise

headacheboy

#127 Post by headacheboy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Count me in as one who will buy a copy of La Flor on Blu-Ray and it will be a blind buy. I had plans on seeing it in Iowa City the weekend prior to Thanksgiving as I travel to Cedar Rapids, Iowa every year at that time to visit my wife's family. Unfortunately this year her job went on strike and she canceled our plans for the first time in close to forever. The one time I was finally jazzed about Thanksgiving in Cedar Rapids and it goes awry!

GrasshopperFilm

#128 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:46 pm

Hello all!! Thanks very much for your feedback and interest in a LA FLOR blu-ray. We feel the same way and even though -- as we mentioned in the earlier post -- there are no plans currently for a physical release, it's something that we continue to discuss and certainly want to make happen. If it were a standard release, on a single blu-ray (or even two!), it wouldn't be an issue. But of course, because it would require a 4 blu-ray commitment, we've been exploring options. One of them is to use a kickstarter or indiegogo-type campaign as a pre-order period. But we definitely appreciate seeing the interest in this release on here! We'll continue to look at options and hope to have updates soon.

Calvin

#129 Post by Calvin » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:07 pm

I'd also pitch in for a La Flor Blu-Ray, whether you go for crowdfunding or otherwise.

nitin

#130 Post by nitin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 am

I would be happy to buy it blind based on the enthusiasm in this board.

zedz

#131 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:14 pm

Putting in a good word for a great film recently released by Grasshopper, Heddy Honigmann's Buddy.

Honigmann is one of the greatest working documentary filmmakers, and this beautiful film subtly works her recurrent themes (dislocation, war trauma, the power of music) into a portrait of service dogs and their owners / partners. There's plenty of amazing footage of amazing dogs doing amazing things (i.e. the money shots of this kind of documentary), but Honigmann's gift for observation and empathy manages to extract much more resonance from the material. It's a more straightforward movie than some of my favourites of hers (I recently rewatched Forever, available from Icarus, which is one version of a perfect film), but it's full of surprises and rewards.

The only extras on the disc are a couple of deleted scenes, but they're gold, and give a good example of how astute Honigmann is as a filmmaker. It must have hurt like hell to lose these scenes (which have to do with the selection and training of service dogs), but you can see that they no longer fitted into the structure of the film that eventuated. This offers an interesting insight into just how deliberately crafted her films are, despite their deceptively casual drift.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#132 Post by barryconvex » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:20 am

GrasshopperFilm wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:46 pm
Hello all!! Thanks very much for your feedback and interest in a LA FLOR blu-ray. We feel the same way and even though -- as we mentioned in the earlier post -- there are no plans currently for a physical release, it's something that we continue to discuss and certainly want to make happen. If it were a standard release, on a single blu-ray (or even two!), it wouldn't be an issue. But of course, because it would require a 4 blu-ray commitment, we've been exploring options. One of them is to use a kickstarter or indiegogo-type campaign as a pre-order period. But we definitely appreciate seeing the interest in this release on here! We'll continue to look at options and hope to have updates soon.
I'd happily pony up however much is necessary to make a La Flor blu a reality. I'd be honored to be a small cog in the wheel that gets this out into the world. I'm totally sincere about that, no other contemporary movie deserves wider exposure more than this one does.

knives

#133 Post by knives » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:23 am

One can only imagine the reaction if people when they are his previous film.

senseabove

#134 Post by senseabove » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:40 pm

Grasshopper is adding five Straub-Huillet titles to their streaming service today, and adding a new one each Wednesday.

zedz

#135 Post by zedz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:31 am

KAILI BLUES

Bi Gan’s first feature is, in its own way, as remarkable an achievement as A Long Day’s Journey into Night. It has a similar dream-like drift, but is arguably easier to ‘decipher’ on a single viewing. Although the narrative keeps submerging into dream and memory (and combinations of the two), it’s within those dreams and memories that you find the information that allows you to figure out the mysteries of the ‘main’ plot (such as the issue of Weiwei’s paternity). They also give you the information you need to determine what’s real and what isn’t in the ‘surface’ story (and there are some twists and turns along the way: this is a film that requires you to continually reevaluate your assumptions about the narrative as it progresses).

As in the subsequent film, the climax of this one is an insanely extended continuous shot that has an ambiguous, evolving status. It’s a much rawer single take, that follows characters from village to village, accompanying them on multiple means of transport, and it pretty definitively answers one of the questions I had about the later film: was Bi Gan inspired by Shahram Mokri’s Fish and Cat in his use of hyper-extended plans-sequences? The movement of Yangyang within this film’s extended shot suggests that the answer is a resounding yes, and makes that section of the shot, at least, a kind of homage.

My second-favourite moment in that shot is when the camera takes a shortcut down an alleyway to meet up with the protagonists: a brilliantly cinematic conceit.

The Grasshopper BluRay also includes Bi Gan’s earlier short Diamond Sutra, which is kind of a dry run for the feature, employing some of the same characters, plot ideas and locations. Unfortunately, it’s marred by bad subtitles, but not to the point of incomprehensibility.

Boosmahn

#136 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Might be old news, but Light from Light is coming to Blu-ray and DVD on July 28. Special features TBA.
Grasshopper Film wrote:Gifted with sometimes-prophetic dreams and a lifelong interest in the paranormal, Shelia (Marin Ireland) is asked to investigate a potential haunting at a Tennessee farmhouse. It’s there she meets Richard (Jim Gaffigan), a recent widower who believes his wife may still be with him. The investigation that ensues — which eventually pulls in Shelia’s son, Owen and his classmate Lucy — forces them to confront the mysteries of their own lives.

Featuring original music by Adam Granduciel and Jon Natchez of The War on Drugs.
Same with Sweetgrass in the fall:
Grasshopper Film wrote:New 2K restoration! An unsentimental elegy to the American West, Sweetgrass follows the last modern-day cowboys to lead their flocks of sheep up into Montana’s breathtaking and often dangerous Absaroka-Beartooth mountains for summer pasture. This astonishingly beautiful yet unsparing film reveals a world in which nature and culture, animals and humans, vulnerability and violence are all intimately meshed.
In My Room, The Load, and Los Reyes are all getting DVD-only releases.

Calvin

#137 Post by Calvin » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm

Manoel de Oliveira's Francisca is coming soon, from a new 4K restoration by the Cinemateca Portuguesa

therewillbeblus

#138 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Calvin wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm
Manoel de Oliveira's Francisca is coming soon, from a new 4K restoration by the Cinemateca Portuguesa
Absolutely fantastic news, one of MO's very best films. Hopefully it'll get a physical release.

furbicide

#139 Post by furbicide » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Amazing news. Been waiting for a DVD of this forever! I sent them an enquiry about it and got the following response:
Thanks for your email.

Yes, we are hoping to release FRANCISCA on bluray and dvd sometime next year. The film looks amazing in this current restoration, so will look great on blu.

therewillbeblus

#140 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:03 am

Thanks for confirmation, furbicide! Hope this sells well and Grasshopper puts out more MO. Vale Abraão would be a dream.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#141 Post by lacritfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:52 pm

therewillbeblus

#142 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:50 am

Totally forgot they released RIght Now, Wrong Then- that and the Hill of Freedom(/Woman on the Beach) release are must-buys for anyone semi-interested in Hong Sangsoo

Jean-Luc Garbo

#143 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am

Did Grasshopper carry over any of the extras from Cinema Guild's release of Sweetgrass?

GrasshopperFilm

#144 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:43 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am
Did Grasshopper carry over any of the extras from Cinema Guild's release of Sweetgrass?
Yes, the blu-ray and dvd have the directors commentary and all the additional scenes (57 minutes).

GrasshopperFilm

#145 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:53 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm
Grasshopper, I know we scared you away from your quick responding in this thread, but free advice: just go the Kickstarter route for a Blu-ray release if you really think you can't support one otherwise
Not at all!! We continue to look for ways to make a LA FLOR blu-ray release happen. And a crowdfunding/pre-order route is something we would like to do. We'll definitely explore this in 2021.

wattsup32

#146 Post by wattsup32 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:08 am

GrasshopperFilm wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:53 am
domino harvey wrote:
Not at all!! We continue to look for ways to make a LA FLOR blu-ray release happen. And a crowdfunding/pre-order route is something we would like to do. We'll definitely explore this in 2021.
I already purchased the streaming version a while ago and still I would back a crowdfunded blu-ray version right now if I could and would pay a premium for 4K.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#147 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:15 am

GrasshopperFilm wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
That's great to hear, though as a reminder, some of us would also hope the same for Academy of Muses (or any Guerin, really)

GrasshopperFilm

#148 Post by GrasshopperFilm » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:20 am

swo17 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:15 am
GrasshopperFilm wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
That's great to hear, though as a reminder, some of us would also hope the same for Academy of Muses (or any Guerin, really)
At the moment, a stand-alone ACADEMY OF MUSES blu-ray is probably unlikely. But we're huge admirers of Guerin's and have been looking into releasing other films of his. Should that happen, then a small blu-ray set could be possible.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#149 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:11 pm

GrasshopperFilm wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:20 am
swo17 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:15 am
GrasshopperFilm wrote:

At the moment, a stand-alone ACADEMY OF MUSES blu-ray is probably unlikely. But we're huge admirers of Guerin's and have been looking into releasing other films of his. Should that happen, then a small blu-ray set could be possible.
For the record, I'd even take just a DVD at this point. But a boxset would be lovely. I already prepared English subtitles for his new short De una isla, and you can have them!

Finch

#150 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:11 pm