Grindhouse Releasing

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Feego

Re: Grindhouse Releasing

#26 Post by Feego » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:Which version of the Big Gundown is the one to watch-- the English or Italian version?
The Italian. The English version cuts out many small moments (and sometimes entire scenes) that give Lee Van Cleef's character nuance, effectively turning him into a rather two-dimensional vigilante.

dwk

#27 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 am

Coming to Blu-ray and DVD from Grindhouse Releasing: Burt Lancaster in Frank Perry's THE SWIMMER. Arriving in a deluxe collector's edition with spectacular new high-definition transfer and bonus features including "The Story of THE SWIMMER", a new 2 1/2-hour documentary by Oscar winner Chris Innis! Street date: March 11,2014
Pre-order is up at Amazon

FrauBlucher

#28 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:14 pm

The Swimmer-
Special Features:
2 Disc Set - Deluxe dual layer Blu-ray Edition + DVD combo
Spectacular new digital restoration created from 4K scans for optimal picture quality
The Story of The Swimmer - brand new, five-part, 2-1/2 hour documentary by Oscar-winner Chris Innis featuring in-depth interviews with stars Janet Landgard, Joan Rivers and Marge Champion, composer Marvin Hamlisch, film editor Sidney Katz, assistant directors Michael Hertzberg and Ted Zachary, UCLA Olympic swim coach Bob Horn, and Joanna Lancaster
The original New Yorker short story read by author John Cheever
12 page booklet with liner notes by legendary director Stuart Gordon (Re-animator)
Rare production stills from the lost alternate scenes
Extensive still galleries, trailers and TV spots
And More...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Blu-rays forthcoming for CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, CANNIBAL FEROX, and A CAT IN THE BRAIN according to Fangoria

Perkins Cobb

#30 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 am

Sid Katz died four and a half years ago, so I guess somebody's been working on that Swimmer documentary for a while.

That's an attractive package for sure, but with so many key Frank Perry films completely MIA on disc (Last Summer, Diary of a Mad Housewife, Play It as It Lays), this news is making me more frustrated than excited.

L.A.

#31 Post by L.A. » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:34 am

The Swimmer (1968) reviewed @ Mondo Digital.

FrauBlucher

#32 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:45 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#33 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:16 am

It seems pretty nice indeed, so I found it quite sad that they couldn't give this 95 minutes only movie a more decent video bitrate. While it doesn't seem damaging compression-wise, it indicates that the extras most likely got an video bitrate equivalent to the main movie, which would be quite stupid. :roll:

Anyway.

It's a very nice release overall, indeed.

med

#34 Post by med » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Why Won't They Release the Bitrate I Want?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#35 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:16 pm

While I very much agree it's nitpicking, I do find it sad that on one end, you have people like David Mackenzie who do a tremendous job at adjusting this, and others who simply don't seem to care, and slap 3hr of extras at what seems to be the same bitrate than the main feature.

I stumble last week on 2 releases like this : La vie d'Adèle (the French Wild Side release) and Alabama Monroe. Both have wildly non-optimal disc space use, both have compression issues.

Of course, it's not a question of pure figures, it's how it's used that matters. But still.

L.A.

#36 Post by L.A. » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 pm

L.A.

#37 Post by L.A. » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:15 pm

Reviews for The Swimmer @

Blu-ray.com
10K Bullets

med

#38 Post by med » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 am

manicsounds wrote:They have such a tiny catalog, and it seems to take them forever to release anything on dvd or now blu-ray. There STILL isn't a release for "Gone With The Pope", is there?
Any update on this? I just recently learned of this film's existence and I absolutely need it in my life.

Adam X

#39 Post by Adam X » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 am

Me too! I think this film looks like amazing fun.
It's been mentioned among the titles they're planning on releasing to Blu-Ray, so with luck I'd hope it'll appear within the next year or two, given their current rate of releasing (5 films in 7 months is actually pretty frequent for Grindhouse.)

From the upcoming screenings, I'm guessing Cannibal Ferox will be their next release.

Orlac

#40 Post by Orlac » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:17 pm

I hope Cannibal Ferox is next. Been waiting years to see it!

dwk

#41 Post by dwk » Fri May 09, 2014 4:24 pm

The Cannibal Holocaust Blu has been announced with a July 1st release date. Here are the specs:
Cannibal Holocaust (Grindhouse Releasing 3 Disc Blu-Ray / CD All Region Combo) The most controversial movie ever made has finally arrived on DVD! Banned and heavily censored throughout the world, here is a film that surpasses its reputation as a shotgun blast to the senses. CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST presents the "found footage" of four documentary filmmakers who experience brutal death at the hands of a savage South American tribe of flesh-eaters. This footage is so intense, so graphic and so unflinching in its realism that the director and producer of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST were arrested upon its original release and the film seized.

Ruggero Deodato's notorious 1979 film begins with the expedition of NYU anthropology professor Harold Monroe (Robert Kerman -- EATEN ALIVE, CANNIBAL FEROX, SPIDER-MAN). Professor Monroe's search for the missing documentary film crew leads him into the dangerous ?Green Inferno,? an untamed Amazon jungle populated by rival primitive tribes and wild animals. In the tribal village of the Yanomamos, he finds the devoured, skeletal remains of the American filmmakers along with the footage shot by the ill-fated crew.

When Professor Monroe screens the documentary footage for a cynical group of New York television network executives, a gruesome and disturbing story unfolds. Led by Alan Yates (Gabriel Yorke), the American film crew ruthlessly exploits "barbaric" tribal customs for the sake of sensationalism. With their cameras rolling, Yates and his crew then proceed to torture, rape, kill and burn their way through the jungle. The bloody tide turns as the natives rise up to take violent revenge on their tormentors.

Widely acknowledged as the uncredited inspiration for THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST has been both praised and vilified for its portrait of savagery. Deodato's nihilistic masterwork critiques the implications of Mondo-style filmmaking, even as it explores the most disturbing extremes of cruelty and exploitation. Not for the weak of stomach, the film's horrifying power cannot be denied.

2 Blu-Ray Special Edition All Region
Audio CD
Anamorphic Widescreen
Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- New in-depth interviews with Ruggero Deodato, Francesca Ciardi,
assistant director/co-star Salvo Basile (shot in Columbia!) and cameraman Roberto Forges Davazati, as well as classic interviews with Robert Kerman, Carl Yorke and Oscar-nominated composer Riz Ortolani
- Extensive still galleries and theatrical trailers
- BONUS CD- original soundtrack album by Riz Ortolani newly remastered in stunning 24bit/96khz sound from the original studio master tapes
- Glossy 24-page booklet containing liner notes by director Eli Roth, legendary horror journalist Chas. Balun, Euro-music expert Gergely Hubai and Italian exploitation film authority Martin Biene
- Shocking reversible cover with original art by notorious illustrator Rick Melton
- Beautiful embossed slip cover
- 9 Easter eggs! - including the Grindhouse Releasing theatrical re-release premiere (with Exhumed Films!!) and Necrophagia music video directed by Jim VanBebber
-AND OTHER SURPRISES!

Graham

#42 Post by Graham » Sat May 10, 2014 5:59 am

Nice. Looks like selling my old two-disc DVD version for £30 the other month was a wise move.

manicsounds

#43 Post by manicsounds » Sun May 11, 2014 8:50 am

Same here. But will they include all the older DVD extras like the commentary?

Adam X

#44 Post by Adam X » Sun May 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Their post on
SpoilerShow
facebook
mentions among the specs:
- Commentary tracks with director Ruggero Deodato and star Robert Kerman, stars Carl Yorke and Francesca Ciardi
So that's getting closer. I'd imagine that with two BD's there'd have to be a number of extras not mentioned (such as the unlisted ones from the DVD edition), unless the new interviews are really long. Very much looking forward to this release, and hope they make a continuing trend of including CD soundtracks with their releases.
The Diabolik DVD listing also mentions that the 'animal cruelty-free version' will additionally be included.

L.A.

#45 Post by L.A. » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 am

Cannibal Holocaust BD review @ DVD Talk.

EddieLarkin

#46 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Blu-ray.com on Cannibal Holocaust.
There are a few matching caps over at DVDBeaver of the UK Shameless Blu-ray, revealing the Grindhouse to be quite superior.

These guys have establishing themselves as a very impressive Blu-ray label. All 5 of their releases have been fantastic.

L.A.

#47 Post by L.A. » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Cannibal Holocaust BD review @ Mondo Digital.

Werewolf by Night

#48 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:42 am

The Swimmer is currently $20.08 at Amazon. Only 33% off, but the best price it's ever been on Amazon.

groucho_sturges

#49 Post by groucho_sturges » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 pm

The Swimmer is also available here for $16.69.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/bluray/LANC ... RS-SWIMMER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

L.A.

#50 Post by L.A. » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm