Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
dwk

Re: Vinegar Syndrome

#226 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:51 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:27 am
Is Tammy and the T-Rex that popular in the States ?
No. There was some buzz around the discovery of the gore cut caused by a few secret screenings, but I don't think that the PG-13 cut even got a DVD release.

Luke M

#227 Post by Luke M » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Have even all of the Paul Walker Fast & Furious films come out on UHD yet?
I don't believe so but who needs those movies when you can push your couch closer to the TV and have your eyes feast on all those extra pixels of Paul Walker AND Denise Richards.

agnamaracs

#228 Post by agnamaracs » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 pm

The Black Friday pre-order came back for Halloween.
Tammy configs: UHD/BR and BR/DVD.
Angel Collection confirmed.
More clues to the secret titles: 70s sleaze, 80s gore, films "you might have thought would never get restored," and not by Roger Watkins (i.e. Last House on Dead End Street).

black&huge

#229 Post by black&huge » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:02 am

Does Vinegar Syndrome do a black friday sale usually?

EDIT: nevermind just saw on their site it's the 29th til dec 2nd. Thank god as I was about to pay full price for Secta Siniestra

Jean-Luc Garbo

#230 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:30 pm

I was reading about each film on Wikipedia but is the Angel Collection supposed to be any good? I never heard of it until now let alone that Anchor Bay had released it back in the day.

dwk

#231 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:51 am

Black Friday secret titles are Spookies and The Candy Snatchers

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#232 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:21 am

Looks like VS are planning 4 UHD releases in 2020.
Something new (it seems) : they're now offering a discounts for international customers on their yearly package if you choose the titles to ship quaterly instead of monthly : $60 for Canada, and $100 for International.

As usual, I'm looking at their sale and keep wondering "I can't just order a few because of these expensive as hell shipping fees, but do I really need Vice Academy 1-3, 9 Lives of a Wet Pussy, and Taking Tiger Mountain ?" I really just want Putney Swope and Decoder.

black&huge

#233 Post by black&huge » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:29 am

"Half off most titles" my ass. Most titles are only discounted by about $5

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#234 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 am

Half off MSRP, like Criterion and B&N.

Cash Flagg

#235 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:04 am

...And the same as it’s been every other Black Friday.

Adam X

#236 Post by Adam X » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:21 am
As usual, I'm looking at their sale and keep wondering "I can't just order a few because of these expensive as hell shipping fees [...]
US$16 for as many items as you care to order is expensive?

therewillbeblus

#237 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:18 pm

If I enjoyed Bartel's Eating Raoul, is Lust in the Dust a safe buy?

tenia, I'm curious about Decoder, as the synopsis itself is cryptic enough to completely befuddle any sense at what this movie will actually be..

Glowingwabbit

#238 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:29 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:18 pm
I'm curious about Decoder, as the synopsis itself is cryptic enough to completely befuddle any sense at what this movie will actually be..
I'm almost always on the losing end whenever I blind buy a VS release but I'm taking a chance on this.

colinr0380

#239 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:43 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:51 am
Black Friday secret titles are Spookies and The Candy Snatchers
Here's the Mondo Digital review of Spookies and The Candy Snatchers (and Tammy and the T-Rex, Vice Academy 1-3 and Savage Dawn for good measure).

If you want a taster of Spookies, it got an in depth discussion on Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst show, like Tammy and the T-Rex before it! Witness the "lust crazed muck-men!". See the almost apologetic for the upcoming film seeming animated skull! Is is really "the Justice League of B-schlock horror films" as it is claimed at one point? Or more the "boring Evil Dead" film, as also claimed? Can it be both? From the Best of the Worst video it seems an incoherent film enlivened by lots of practical monsters of varying quality being thrown at the characters. I would probably give it a pass though I might try picking the disc up at some point just for the second disc with "The Vipco Story" documentary on it.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

black&huge

#240 Post by black&huge » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:51 pm

tenia wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 am
Half off MSRP, like Criterion and B&N.
My mistake I was looking at the LE slipcover versions of everything the SE's seem to be where the half price discount is. Which luckily I don't care for the slipcovers for any of the releases.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#241 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:22 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am
tenia wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:21 am
As usual, I'm looking at their sale and keep wondering "I can't just order a few because of these expensive as hell shipping fees [...]
US$16 for as many items as you care to order is expensive?
It's fine when you're interested in 10 titles, but not when it's only 2 or 3 which, as I wrote above, is my case. Past years, I managed to add some additionnal titles to dilute the shipping fees, only to get my shelves filled with relatively bad movies I'll never watch again (as I'm also rather on the losing end with VS). I don't want to do so anymore, as I don't want to clog again my shelves with bad movies I'll never watch again.
I'll buy them on Wow HD, and only lose the slips. I'll survive.

smokes

#242 Post by smokes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:30 pm
I was reading about each film on Wikipedia but is the Angel Collection supposed to be any good? I never heard of it until now let alone that Anchor Bay had released it back in the day.
i watched the first film and personally found it awkward. it's about a girl who's supposed to be 15 in high-school but a hooker at night. it focuses more on her life as a hooker and treats her high school life more like a side-story. there's a sleazy cop who takes it upon himself to protect her- but he's somewhat clumsy and creepy. there's also a cowboy who seems to forget all his friends are dead. all this happens around the time they're informed one of their friends (a friend of angel) has been killed.

imo this film is better as a historic view of hollywood blvd as there are a few scenes shot within now non-existent adult film theaters and just the look of hollywood & highland with minimal tourists.

i don't know if this sounds entertaining to you, but for me, this wasn't worth it. still haven't watched the 2nd and 3rd films and not sure i really care to

L.A.

#243 Post by L.A. » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 pm

feihong

#244 Post by feihong » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:48 pm

smokes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 pm
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:30 pm
i watched the first film and personally found it awkward. it's about a girl who's supposed to be 15 in high-school but a hooker at night. it focuses more on her life as a hooker and treats her high school life more like a side-story. there's a sleazy cop who takes it upon himself to protect her- but he's somewhat clumsy and creepy. there's also a cowboy who seems to forget all his friends are dead. all this happens around the time they're informed one of their friends (a friend of angel) has been killed.

imo this film is better as a historic view of hollywood blvd as there are a few scenes shot within now non-existent adult film theaters and just the look of hollywood & highland with minimal tourists.

i don't know if this sounds entertaining to you, but for me, this wasn't worth it. still haven't watched the 2nd and 3rd films and not sure i really care to
When I first saw this "Angel" Trilogy announced, I got excited, thinking it was the Theresa Woo–directed trilogy of "Charlie's Angels" ripoffs starring Moon Lee. I was growing curious about watching these films, but your review makes me think twice about investing the time.

smokes

#245 Post by smokes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 pm

i highly recommend the vice academy trilogy. there's somewhere between the early wynorski/olen ray oeuvre and mid-90s playboy skinemax cable films. they're one of those films where when someone gets hit there's a sound effect accompanying the act. you also can't go wrong with a trilogy of films that have ginger lynn and linnea quigley (though the 3rd one has elizabeth kaitan instead of quigley).

they're not the best in the genre (late 80s/early 90s bimbo b-movie) but they have their place in that criterion

Adam X

#246 Post by Adam X » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Skipping over their pencilled-in Spanish horror box set...
Vinegar Syndrome wrote:We are thrilled to finally announce our first (of several) collections of rare Italian and Spanish gialli. Forgotten Gialli: Volume 1 will feature three never available in the US titles and will be released in April. Pre-orders will be available soon.
Javier Aguirre's Euro-sleaze-star-studded adaptation of And Then There Were None, THE KILLER IS ONE OF 13, León Klimovsky's giallo/proto-slasher hybrid, TRAUMA, and Helia Colombo's supremely weird THE POLICE ARE BLUNDERING IN THE DARK.
All three of these nearly impossible to see films will be presented in brand new, 2K restorations from their original negatives.

onedimension

#247 Post by onedimension » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:43 am

They just picked up a bunch of MGM titles, apparently - https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26558

Adam X

#248 Post by Adam X » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:53 am

We are doing one final sale before going into state-mandated quarantine mode on Tuesday!

[...]In order to keep functioning, albeit at much less than full capacity, and to comply with state regulations, we're going to be suspending shipments from our website in the short term, starting Tuesday. We are optimistic that this web-order shipping suspension will be short lived and we are working on the most efficient and legal ways to continue our shipping operation. But, while that's being decided on, we're doing a [hopefully] short moratorium. Of course, with this in mind, our revenue will take a serious hit (even in the winter, we still have 4 figure electric bills; one of the many 'perks' of operating a film archive) so this sale is very much of a short term lifeline.

Therefore, this weekend only, through early Monday morning EST, you can enjoy an additional 15% off our already discounted prices on most everything in our store, with the EXCEPTION of April pre-orders. Yes, that's literally every single VS release (including 2020 titles), shirts, merch and even most Staff Picks! You will automatically receive the additional 15% off, at checkout, if the product is eligible.

We will do everything in our powers to make sure that as many orders as possible can get sent out on Monday. To help streamline our packing and shipping, please-please-please take your time placing your order, because in an effort to speed up our shipping process, we will NOT be combining orders.

dwk

#249 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 am

May tiles:
• Hall Needham’s never on disc classic RAD, in a stacked and limited edition 4K UHD/Blu-ray combo pack w/ 3D Lenticular/Holographic cover!
• Paul Schrader’s true crime thriller, PATTY HEARST.
• Joel Bender’s outrageous THE IMMORTALIZER.
• And two secret surprise titles which should put a smile on the face of every sleaze hound.

colinr0380

#250 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 am

Great news about Patty Hearst! I have also seen The Immortalizer (which like Beserk! was released on VHS in the UK in the late 1990s with an introduction by Tom Baker!) It is not great but in its plot of elderly people having their brains transplanted into younger bodies kind of anticipates (the much, much better) Being John Malkovich and Get Out!