Cohen Film Collection

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#576 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:00 pm

That's a great poster, hope they use it for their cover

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#577 Post by L.A. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Les Parents terribles Blu-ray is already OOP it seems as are many other of their releases. So I assume that their policy is something like they press VERY few copies. :-k

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#578 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Worth noting that many non-OOP Cohen titles are half off at BN.com right now, if you want to stock up for the coming Cohen Blu-ray famine

User avatar
HinkyDinkyTruesmith
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#579 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Does anyone happen to know what the situation is on the Douglas Sirk double feature? I'm aware that it seems to have gone OOP, but I was wondering if anyone knew who the rights would revert back to, and if there's any chance of a release in the future by another label, or if I should grab one of the cheap copies of the Cohen release while they're still reasonably priced. (Also, if anyone has any opinions on the audio commentaries on the release, that'd be appreciated!)

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#580 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:43 pm

La Belle Noiseuse blu is on Amazon for for $21.27. I thought it had already gone OOP but I guess not.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#581 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:50 pm

HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:37 pm
Does anyone happen to know what the situation is on the Douglas Sirk double feature? I'm aware that it seems to have gone OOP, but I was wondering if anyone knew who the rights would revert back to, and if there's any chance of a release in the future by another label, or if I should grab one of the cheap copies of the Cohen release while they're still reasonably priced. (Also, if anyone has any opinions on the audio commentaries on the release, that'd be appreciated!)
I don't think it's OOP, or at least it wasn't a few days ago when it was in stock on Amazon and BN for $34.99. I got my copy from BN just yesterday, in fact. There's no evidence titles that go OOP on disc from Cohen leave their collection. They prob make more money from licensing for their Cohen channel and indiv dls on Amazon anyways

User avatar
HinkyDinkyTruesmith
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#582 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Someone better tell that to the guy selling a copy on Amazon for $106!

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#583 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:55 pm

I think either Cohen found some extra stock of some titles, or they're starting to slowly reprint their OOP discs. RIP to that guy missing his chance to gouge the second-hand market though

User avatar
HinkyDinkyTruesmith
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#584 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:03 pm

If you happen to get around to them soon, I'd appreciate if you let me know what you think of the transfers/commentaries. The reviews I've seen have been mixed, but they've also been rather short and undetailed, so it's hard to know what to think.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#585 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm definitely on both a noir kick AND a George Sanders kick lately, so I likely will get to them soon!

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#586 Post by L.A. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 pm

I’ll ask about one more title; how about Otar Ioseliani’s film Favorites of the Moon, is this worth the hassle?

User avatar
senseabove
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:07 am

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#587 Post by senseabove » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:33 pm

HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:If you happen to get around to them soon, I'd appreciate if you let me know what you think of the transfers/commentaries. The reviews I've seen have been mixed, but they've also been rather short and undetailed, so it's hard to know what to think.
It's been too long for me to remember in much detail, but I remember enjoying the commentary on Scandal quite a bit and it making me more appreciative of a movie I found only moderately interesting at first glance. Haven't gotten around to the commentary on Lured, yet. So, still short and undetailed, but another positive vote.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#588 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:51 pm

L.A. wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 pm
I’ll ask about one more title; how about Otar Ioseliani’s film Favorites of the Moon, is this worth the hassle?
Any Iosseliani is a treasure

User avatar
Aunt Peg
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 am

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#589 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Amazon has Bertrand Blier's Get Out Your Handkerchiefs up for pre-order. Release date 27 August.

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#590 Post by knives » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:05 pm
I'm definitely on both a noir kick AND a George Sanders kick lately, so I likely will get to them soon!
Better be watching The Affairs of Bel Ami for the '40s list in that case.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#591 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Already saw it a couple months ago and loved it 👌🏻

User avatar
Godot
Cri me a Tearion
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#592 Post by Godot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:43 pm
La Belle Noiseuse blu is on Amazon for for $21.27. I thought it had already gone OOP but I guess not.
Holy cow, thank you for the tip, Glowingwabbit! I've been looking for that all over for a reasonable (read: less than $50) price. I snapped one up. Looks like an interesting release.

User avatar
Gregory
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#593 Post by Gregory » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 pm

I have the AE DVDs and was tempted to get the Cohen set, but it just looks to be too teal for it to be a good blu-ray upgrade.

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#594 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:37 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:51 pm
L.A. wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 pm
I’ll ask about one more title; how about Otar Ioseliani’s film Favorites of the Moon, is this worth the hassle?
Any Iosseliani is a treasure
Cheers. If this massive collection get upgraded to Blu someday that would be something. I can only guess this has been OOP for ages and even when it was available getting a copy was superhard(?).

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#595 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:39 pm

I only became acquainted with him 5-10 years ago and missed out on that

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#596 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Couple Russian online stores had it for sale but I understand because of some laws Russia didn’t ship DVDs internationally. Maybe a thread here has more info.

User avatar
andyli
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#597 Post by andyli » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Volume Three with Seven Chances and Battling Butler due in August.

User avatar
Grand Wazoo
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#598 Post by Grand Wazoo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 pm

andyli wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 pm
Volume Three with Seven Chances and Battling Butler due in August.
We know they also restored Our Hospitality. Can we assume there will be a volume 4 with that + Go West, The Three Ages, or College?

User avatar
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#599 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Given how well these definitely sell for MOC, and how many times they've been released on blu ray, I imagine they sell well enough and we should expect more!

User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#600 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Gregory wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 pm
I have the AE DVDs and was tempted to get the Cohen set, but it just looks to be too teal for it to be a good blu-ray upgrade.
This is why I held off. MoMI screened an excellent-looking (if not excellent-sounding) 35mm print right before the Blu-Ray was released, and it had a natural looking palette, NOT what you see on the Blu-Ray.

Post Reply