Cohen Film Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Calvin

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#501 Post by Calvin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:38 am

Unlike Howard's End, the Rivette films aren't Cohen restorations so I'd be surprised if they released them in the UK.

rapta

#502 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Ribs wrote:Cohen will be releasing Howards End themselves in the UK. Totally within their power but I've felt their partnerships with the UK labels have been very fruitful at producing the best versions of their titles and hope this doesn't mean that they'll be doing the same for the Rivette titles or even other Merchant Ivory restorations.
Reckon they might just do Merchant Ivory, since they still have at least one active deal with a UK label (Eureka have The Old Dark House and King of Hearts coming up in the New Year). I imagine Arrow will have one or two more Cohen-sourced titles too. I'd be surprised if Cohen just tried to release whatever they could over here, Criterion UK-style.

Seems the BFI failed to secure Howards End; I could've sworn they had confirmed a Dual Format release in a press release somewhere. Maybe they requested to port over all the Cohen extras, and Cohen responded by deciding to just port over the entire release? Either that or Sony weighed in and weren't willing to work with the BFI. Who knows...

hearthesilence

#503 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Just got The Old Dark House. The restoration looks fantastic, but there's one strange thing with the audio - at 57:20, some loud hiss kicks in on the soundtrack. Eventually it goes away, but it's strange - I'm not sure if it was noise introduced into the soundtrack or if it's inherent in the soundtrack and they actually just processed everything else with heavy noise reduction. (The latter is very possible because it does sound like it was cleaned up quite a bit.)

peoriashows

#505 Post by peoriashows » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I didn't find anything about it here. Does anyone know if Cohen's 75th Anniversary release of Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn is out of print? I was an idiot and didn't get around to buying it when It was released and now every merchant says it's out of stock and it's going to ridiculous prices on eBay ($100+) A different forum I found online said they are just being slow to reprint it and that it's NOT out of print, but that was from last summer. I sent them an email a week ago and contacted them on Facebook and haven't gotten any response back yet. Just curious if any of you are in the know about this.

Thanks.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#506 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Can't help you with the Cohen release, but can confirm the Arrow version still exists if you're Region-B capable.

kekid

#507 Post by kekid » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:49 pm

What is the status of "King of Hearts"?

Fiery Angel

#508 Post by Fiery Angel » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:53 pm

kekid wrote:What is the status of "King of Hearts"?
It's currently playing at the Quad in NYC so a Blu-ray will surely follow later this year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#509 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 pm

Discussion of La belle noiseuse split off here

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#510 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm

The Official Story coming in November

Aunt Peg

#511 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:33 am

Cohen Media have two Blu Rays coming soon:

Jacques Doillon's Rodin (October 2)
Jean Cocteau's Les Parents Terribles (October 30)

Both are up for pre-order on Amazon.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#512 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm

This isn't new news, but it just crossed my radar and I can't find any mention of it on these forums, so: Cohen is handling U.S. distribution for the restoration of Peppermint Soda, finally confirming after nearly twenty years that Criterion won't be releasing this after all. But who knows, maybe they can still do Cocktail Molotov.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#513 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 pm

Discussion of Cohen Media's recent purchase of Landmark Theatres split off here

Peter McM

#514 Post by Peter McM » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 am

Finally getting around to watching Godard Mon Amour, which includes a trailer for Rodin, which looks good but IMDB has it a really low score. Has anybody seen it and would it be worth at least a rental when it comes out?

Aunt Peg

#515 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am

Peter McM wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 am
Finally getting around to watching Godard Mon Amour, which includes a trailer for Rodin, which looks good but IMDB has it a really low score. Has anybody seen it and would it be worth at least a rental when it comes out?
Rodan is a monumental bore. However, I am a great believer if you think the films looks good from the trailer than you should give the film a go regardless of anyone telling you the film is terrible or a low imdb rating. Rent before buying is very much recommended though.

Peter McM

#516 Post by Peter McM » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:12 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am
Peter McM wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 am
Rodan is a monumental bore. However, I am a great believer if you think the films looks good from the trailer than you should give the film a go regardless of anyone telling you the film is terrible or a low imdb rating. Rent before buying is very much recommended though.
Good to know. Thankfully my public library has a good selection of such films. Should be able to find it there when available.

ethel

Re: Les Parents Terribles

#517 Post by ethel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:14 am

Les Parents Terribles is a superb 2K restoration for the film’s 70th anniversary. It’s been difficult to find with English subtitles and is now the best it’s looked (and sounded) for decades. Made between Beauty and the Beastand Orpheus, it’s a filmed play photographed in impossibly glamorous black and white by Michel Kelber, who does here for monochrome what he later did for Technicolor in Renoir’s French Cancan. A great master.

Featured are the original stage cast of Jean Cocteau’s tragicomedy about what happens when the 22 year old son of a possessive mother and other needy relatives announces he’s fallen in love. With Jean Marais, Josette Day and Marcel Andre’ (all from Cocteau’s Beauty and the Beast), and the formidable leading ladies Yvonne de Bray and Gabrielle Dorziat channelling oh, let’s say, later Bette Davis and middle Agnes Moorehead. For connoisseurs of this genre, these are two of the central performances of their kind, every bit the equal of their American contemporaries. Fur and feathers fly, and scenery is chewed and stays chewed, yet often with extraordinary economy and intimacy. Repeat viewings await.

The fine Cohen package includes a solid introduction by Richard Pena, old and new trailers, 13 minutes of original screentests, and a fascinating 10 minute 2010 interview with Claude Pinoteau, the film’s assistant director. Unfortunately, this was subtitled (and proofed) by people who know nothing about cinema, so we have Pinoteau referring to the great directors “Clouseau and Max Rufus” [Clouzot and Ophuls of course], and to watching “the rocks” [i.e. not “les roches”, but “les rushes” = “the rushes”]. The crowning insult is the complete misspelling of the name of the star of Les Parents Terribles, Yvonne de Bray.

The feature itself is subtitled adequately, though with excessive compression of the literary dialogue (IMHO) and with recurring (and irritating) spacing errors in the text which should have been eliminated.

But these are relatively minor (if avoidable) blemishes in a spectacular reissue of one of Cocteau’s most celebrated projects.

FrauBlucher

#518 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 pm

The Great Buster: A Celebration The Bogdanovich Doc will be getting a release April 2. Odd they still haven’t released the 4k restorations of the Keatons.

Roger Ryan

#519 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 pm
The Great Buster: A Celebration The Bogdanovich Doc will be getting a release April 2. Odd they still haven’t released the 4k restorations of the Keatons.
A delightful documentary in all the ways you'd expect, even if Bogdanovich sometimes ends his excerpts before the gag fully plays out. The doc got an unintentional laugh out of me with the inclusion of a scene from 1957's The Buster Keaton Story which looked liked it was sourced from a VHS copy. That this dreadful Paramount biopic from the mid-50s looked far, far worse on the big screen than even the rattiest surviving print of Keaton's 20s work seemed appropriate.

Although not unwelcome, the entire documentary feels like an advertisement for Cohen's Keaton catalogue, so it doesn't surprise me to see The Great Buster getting issued ahead of the 4K restorations.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#520 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 am

Elephant Films released Seven Chances on BD (Region Free) in France a few days ago, and the Cohen 4K restoration is absolutely gorgeous. It's a tad dull and oh-so too bright, but the clarity and precision plus the stability and cleanliness of the restoration are very impressive. It also contains The Railrodder (1965) in a copy that looks quite good, and the documentary "Buster Keaton Rides Again" (upscaled).

whaleallright

#521 Post by whaleallright » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 am
Although not unwelcome, the entire documentary feels like an advertisement for Cohen's Keaton catalogue, so it doesn't surprise me to see The Great Buster getting issued ahead of the 4K restorations.
Well, it's vital that they introduce the kids to the glories of silent comedy via a documentary featuring noted post-millennial icon

[checks notes]

Peter Bogdanovich.

Roger Ryan

#522 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am
Roger Ryan wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 am
Well, it's vital that they introduce the kids to the glories of silent comedy via a documentary featuring noted post-millennial icon

[checks notes]

Peter Bogdanovich.
Hey, the documentary prominently features Johnny Knoxville (with footage from Jackass) as well as a little-too-long segment on how Keaton somehow inspired the CGI "performance" of Spiderman in Spiderman: Homecoming! True, most of the other interviewees are/were in their 90s (along with 104-year-old Norman Lloyd), but that's because these guys actually knew Keaton and/or worked with him.

At the screening I attended, there were a number of pre-teens, teenagers, and young adults. It's not unimaginable that a number of them were encountering Keaton for the first time apart from, maybe, a YouTube compilation. The excerpted clips, from the restored Seven Chances (yes, it looked gorgeous) and others, certainly sold me on buying these titles for a fourth or fifth time!

Big Ben

#523 Post by Big Ben » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Johnny Knoxville is indeed a huge Buster Keaton fan. While I'll reveal my age here and say I watched Jackass in it's heyday and thought it was immensely amusing (At the time.) the guy isn't some testosterone ravaged frat boy. He knows his stuff and well, I can't knock him for that.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#524 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm

I always opened my History of Film survey course with a screening of Sherlock Jr and it never failed to kill. My students were always so surprised that they could enjoy a silent film, and the self-reflexivity of the movie opened up a lot of ideas and themes we used to build on going forward. So young people can be receptive to Keaton for sure

Roger Ryan

#525 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 pm
Johnny Knoxville..knows his stuff and well, I can't knock him for that.
I didn't have a problem with Knoxville's appearance in The Great Buster (his assessment of Keaton's famous collapsing facade gag from Steamboat Bill, Jr. combined with Jackass footage showing a more modern attempt at the same stunt fit well into the documentary); I only mentioned it because the inclusion of Knoxville, Bill Hader, and, especially, the director of Spiderman: Homecoming, struck me as an attempt to include something relatable to viewers under the age of 50.