Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
dwk

Re: Twilight Time / Redwind

#3626 Post by dwk » Wed May 13, 2020 10:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 pm
dwk wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:34 pm
I'm unaware of any StudioCanal titles
Is L-Shaped Room held by another studio in the states?
Scan of the backcover shows it is a Sony title.

nitin

#3627 Post by nitin » Thu May 14, 2020 2:40 am

They still have at least 200 odd titles exclusive to them and a lot of them I am quite happy to own.

As for the comparisons, Kino (at least Kino in 2019-2020) is fair but Olive is not. Olive (like Kino used to) just shoved whatever master existed on to disc. TT did wait around for restorations from Sony and Fox in most cases apart from their very early years.
Last edited by nitin on Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tojoed

#3628 Post by tojoed » Thu May 14, 2020 2:41 am

On the cover of "Fortune Cookie" I thought Jack Lemon was Tony Hancock.

Adam X

#3629 Post by Adam X » Thu May 14, 2020 12:15 pm

L.A. wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:17 pm
Bless you all for the recommendations. From the $8.95 price bracket, how about Short Night of the Glass Dolls and The Doll of Satan, any fans?
I don't know what direction soundchaser's opinion of Glass Dolls sent you in, L.A., but I can absolutely recommend the film. I've got the Camera Obscura disc, so can't comment on the release, but the film itself is absolutely beautiful. It's not a giallo in the Argento/Fulci vein, but it's a wonderful mystery, with a great score and cinematography. I liked it far better the second time I saw it (possibly due to the restoration), and easily think of it as one of the better giallo around.
The Doll of Satan, I remember thinking it wasn't bad? I actually don't remember anything about it, which possibly isn't a good sign. If you need to spend the money, I don't think you'd be disappointed, but it obviously wasn't that memorable.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3630 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 pm

My order from ScreenArchives already arrived. Even in death, TT sux compared to any other retailer

senseabove

#3631 Post by senseabove » Thu May 14, 2020 1:05 pm

My huge order from TT arrived yesterday... I imagine SAE was just a lot less slammed than TT, since I have the impression folks started at the TT site and went to SAE when they were out of something.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3632 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Did TT send you a shipping notice?

senseabove

#3633 Post by senseabove » Thu May 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Yep. Subject was "Your Twilight Time Movies Order Has Been Updated (#12345)" But that came before they even sent out the "sorry we're slammed" email.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3634 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I never use FedEx and any other shipper (UPS, USPS) gives me direct updates when my package is en route

Adam X

#3635 Post by Adam X » Thu May 14, 2020 1:41 pm

I can’t speak to the TT store experience, but FedEx provide updates just like UPS/USPS.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3636 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 1:45 pm

I meant I have it set up with an account for those shippers where they email/text me directly without me having to do anything

dustybooks

#3637 Post by dustybooks » Thu May 14, 2020 2:08 pm

My order from Sunday night (from TT directly) showed up yesterday, amazingly, so I must've gotten in just ahead of the rush.

senseabove

#3638 Post by senseabove » Thu May 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Just when you thought the ride was over...

Screen Archives Entertainment has reached an agreement with Twilight Time Movies to purchase the company’s extensive Twilight Time Movies inventory or back catalog, along with reprint rights of limited titles, and its website effective July 1, 2020. The agreement ensures that the Twilight Time label will continue indefinitely, according to the principals.
Announcement email

Reverend Drewcifer

#3639 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu May 14, 2020 2:56 pm

What's the over/under that it'll be a zombie brand used for repackaging?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3640 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm

I know name brand recognition is often what investors buy in situations like this, but does Twilight Time have a good rep for anyone but the brown nosers on the Blu-Ray.com forums? Most people seem to avoid them like the plague unless they’re going out of business and selling at ~30% of retail

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3641 Post by tenia » Thu May 14, 2020 4:17 pm

I also wonder what good it will serve except preventing labels to offer better cheaper releases than what TT used to do.
Hurray for $30 bare-bones reprints !

I'm also glad to see Jamieson will keep providing his marketing expertise considering what he showed last October at Lyon. He had pretty much given any hope to do anything and simply admit TT's model was not adapted anymore to the market, forcing them to do sales after sales while they said they never would. He felt stuck with no idea how to exit the dead end. And, well, 6 months later, this is where TT is.
Last edited by tenia on Thu May 14, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3642 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 4:19 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:29 pm
Another quickly gone Fox title, the Hot Rock, is also available from Screen Archives for $14.95-- I almost never blind buy these days, but that cast and plot sounded promising. If I hate it I pledge to sell it here for what it cost me instead of milking the suckers on eBay
The Hot Rock is great and essential viewing for Soderbergh fans who want to find out what his heist movies have been stealing from.
I thought this was okay, and I liked the structure of the film and can see the impact it appeared to have on Soderbergh’s style. But it’s the kind of film where it wouldn’t have been hard to give the script to someone else for a couple hours to punch up the dialogue and imbue the characters with more color, as everyone is boring and the gags all fall flat— more details like the getaway driver listening to speedway recordings like an audiophile and less anything else offered here as characterization. 70s American cinema is full of the same low ambition tendency as this film, and it doesn’t really rise above it. A pleasant if unexceptional way to spend an afternoon

Reverend Drewcifer

#3643 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Thu May 14, 2020 4:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm
I know name brand recognition is often what investors buy in situations like this, but does Twilight Time have a good rep for anyone but the brown nosers on the Blu-Ray.com forums? Most people seem to avoid them like the plague unless they’re going out of business and selling at ~30% of retail
Well put. I suspect Screen Archives could draft off of the (relative) rep of a boutique label, but it's more likely Twilight Time will become a Mill Creek-style clearinghouse for library acquisitions. Worst case: Twilight Time becomes the Aldi Aisle of Shame.

Cronenfly

#3644 Post by Cronenfly » Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 pm

So is now still the time to buy (ie at the current prices) or is there no need to rush? I can’t think of another situation like this, so I don’t really know what’s going to happen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3645 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 4:34 pm

There will be no incentive for SA to keep the sale prices once they own the label and aren’t just licensed distributors of their titles. Maybe they will, who knows? But I doubt it.

senseabove

#3646 Post by senseabove » Thu May 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Presumably, SAE won't entertain the notion that these titles should be sold anywhere but SAE, which has got to be a huge part of why TT's business model was unsuccessful. So I can't imagine they'd keep prices at $12 once they own everything.

And given that SAE's site is straight out of 2002, and does blindingly idiotic things like show 0 results if you accept the title search suggestion, only showing the correct title if you ignore the suggestion, I don't think this is a good move for anything...

hearthesilence

#3647 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:34 pm
There will be no incentive for SA to keep the sale prices once they own the label and aren’t just licensed distributors of their titles. Maybe they will, who knows? But I doubt it.
I doubt it too. With that in mind, Screen Archives still had Gloria and Melvin and Howard, so I went ahead and grabbed them. Cost maybe $7 more than what it would've been had I jumped on TT's clearance sale right away, which isn't too bad.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3648 Post by tenia » Thu May 14, 2020 4:44 pm

I believe SAE knows perfectly TT's retail price is completely unsustainable nowadays. They might not keep these current sale prices, but I can't imagine them putting them back at the retail prices except they want to massively slow down the elimination of this stock. Especially now that customers are used to buying those on sale.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3649 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Have they adjusted the price of their limited edition soundtrack CDs?

Cronenfly

#3650 Post by Cronenfly » Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm

I think I’m going to gamble on future sales and limit what I buy this time. I already dropped an embarrassing amount, and this announcement means most things should at least remain available, though at what price who knows.