Criterion Laserdiscs

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#101 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Try using software for transferring vinyl records, they usually adjust for amplification

exte

#102 Post by exte » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:42 pm

porquenegar wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:The custom Taxi Driver DVD posted on certain filesharing sites using the Criterion LD commentary is a real gem. If you know how to capture the commentary - you should certainly utilize your knowledge! It's worth it.
I'm still playing around with it. The problem I'm having appears to be that there is no amplification between my LD player and my computer. I can record the audio and make MP3 but the quality is pretty bad. I haven't had time to really mess with it in the last couple of months though. I own somewhere around 2/3 of the criterion LDs.
No offense, but have you adjusted the volume control if you're using windows? I never had a problem and I've done it from several computers now (with either onboard audio or top of the line soundcard)...

jbnugent

Re: Crash, The Game

#104 Post by jbnugent » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm

mf9design wrote:...the ultra rare 3 disc version of The Game.
Okay- I thought I was "up" on all things Criterion, but this must have slipped by me. What is this 3 disc version of "The Game"?

Thanks-
Jimmy

Napier

#105 Post by Napier » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 am

jbnugent wrote:
mf9design wrote:...the ultra rare 3 disc version of The Game.
Okay- I thought I was "up" on all things Criterion, but this must have slipped by me. What is this 3 disc version of "The Game"?
Well, first off, you could go to Criterion's web site and browse the laser disc section. Then you would find everything about their release or David Fincher's film. Which is very good by the way.

Narshty

#106 Post by Narshty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Anyone who's interested in the Criterion laserdisc of The Game should simply buy the UK/European special edition DVD from Universal, which transfers the entire contents of the OOP laserdisc.

jbnugent

#107 Post by jbnugent » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Napier wrote:you could go to Criterion's web site and browse the laser disc section. Then you would find everything about their release or David Fincher's film. Which is very good by the way.
Yes, I have the Criterion laserdisc set of "The Game". I guess I haven't taken it out in some time... I thought mf9design was making reference to a rare three disc version of it that I was unaware of. I meant to check last night but forgot to. I assumed the one I have is a 2 disc version. I also intend to check my copy of "Dr. Strangelove..." as I think I have the first pressing version with the script intact.

Thanks-

Jimmy

jbnugent

#108 Post by jbnugent » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:23 am

Okay- confirmed that Criterion version of "The Game" is, in fact, 2 discs.

Napier- thanks for the suggestion, but I do frequent the criterion site on a weekly basis and have referred to their laserdisc listing several times. There are no details beyond title, director, year of movie release and spine number.

I went back and checked archived versions of the older sites and could find no mention of a 3 disc version of "the Game" being released by Criterion. I googled said disc to no avail. So, my original question still stands- What is this "rare 3 disc version of 'The Game'" that mf9design is referring to?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Jimmy

CSM126

#109 Post by CSM126 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:58 am

jbnugent wrote:What is this "rare 3 disc version of 'The Game'" that mf9design is referring to?
A figment of his imagination

jbnugent

#110 Post by jbnugent » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 am

I'm inclined to believe that... caveat emptor.

Jimmy

squarewave

Dr. Strangelove first pressing

#111 Post by squarewave » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:48 am

Hi - I'm new here and don't know if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know about the so-called "first draft" script version of the Dr. Strangelove CC LD "first pressing"? Was it a special feature included in with the other special stuff like the trailer, music video, "Duck And Cover", etc? Or was it a version of the finished film? And how can you differentiate the first pressing from subsequent pressings - spine #'s, cover art?

Thanks a lot.

greggster59

Re: Dr. Strangelove first pressing

#112 Post by greggster59 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:16 am

squarewave wrote:Hi - I'm new here and don't know if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know about the so-called "first draft" script version of the Dr. Strangelove CC LD "first pressing"? Was it a special feature included in with the other special stuff like the trailer, music video, "Duck And Cover", etc? Or was it a version of the finished film? And how can you differentiate the first pressing from subsequent pressings - spine #'s, cover art?
Here are the details from this link:
Voyager-Criterion issued a remastered laserdisc of DR. STRANGELOVE in 1992. This version was struck from Kubrick's personal print of the film (one generation removed from the original negative). The disc jacket reads: "The film was shot using in-camera mattes with alternating aspect ratios, between 1.66:1 and 1.33:1. A new digital film-to-tape transfer was created using a 35mm duplicate negative and 35mm 3 track magnetic master."

The different mattes for the film's different aspect ratios are probably best noticeable at the top of the frame, in the shots where Major Kong puts on his Stetson hat. Also, as Kong rides the bomb, the bomb can be seen jumping "over" the background matte plate.

The Criterion disc also includes a wealth of materials outlining the civil-defense plans of the early 1960s, including still frames of various pamphlets, the famous short "Duck and Cover," and an early "video" of George McCulvey's "My Teenage Fallout Queen." There is also a British Film Board-approved trailer advertising Strangelove, which -- unique for its day -- includes photos of Kubrick himself. Best of all is an account of the film's laser remastering, as well as a frame-by-frame representation of an early STRANGELOVE script. The cover of the Criterion disk was also designed by Kubrick.

An early draft of the script -- written by Kubrick, before Southern was brought in -- can be read frame-by-frame on the Voyager-Criterion laserdisc. In this early draft, the film is presented as a recovered record found by aliens on a dead planet called Earth. (The opening credits describe a "Micro-Galaxy-Meteor" logo with a squalling alien head. Amusing, in light of the stylized MGM logo used in 2001.) This script is clearly less than the final product; a great deal of the final film's better lines clearly came from Southern's later contributions, including General Ripper's "bodily fluids" obsessions. Although there is a character named Turgidson, a character named "Buck" Schmuck gets most of what eventually wound up as Turgidson dialogue. (Interesting note: in this early script, one General is named "Toejam." So is a Marine in FULL METAL JACKET.)

Matt

#114 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:35 pm

betstech wrote:I'm looking for the audio commentary that Elizabeth Montgomery did for the 1991 Criterion laserdisc release of Here Comes Mr. Jordan.
If you live near any of these libraries, you may be able to at least view the LD with the commentary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#115 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Or maybe one of them would lend it out via ILL

squarewave

#116 Post by squarewave » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks so much greggster59. Do you also happen to know if the spine # on the Dr. Strangelove CC LD "first pressing" is different from subsequent pressings? The one I have is #143 and does not have the "Alternate Script" feature in with the special features, so I'm assuming I have the second pressing. Do you have a "first pressing"?

Thanks for the great help!.

greggster59

Re: Dr. Strangelove first pressing

#117 Post by greggster59 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 pm

squarewave wrote:Thanks so much greggster59. Do you also happen to know if the spine # on the Dr. Strangelove CC LD "first pressing" is different from subsequent pressings? The one I have is #143 and does not have the "Alternate Script" feature in with the special features, so I'm assuming I have the second pressing. Do you have a "first pressing"?
My pleasure. I sold off my laserdiscs years ago so I can't help you with regards to differences in the pressings though I believe it was always #143. Are you certain that the script is not on your edition? I don't think they did a second pressing. The feature may not be under the heading of "Alternate script". I suggest you go through everything to be sure.

squarewave

#118 Post by squarewave » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Greggster - No it's definitely not there. Guess I'll have to keep looking for a recalled "first pressing". thanks

jbnugent

#119 Post by jbnugent » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:24 am

squarewave-

My copy of "Dr. Strangelove" includes the Alternate Script in the special features listing on the jacket. I have also confirmed that all disc sides credit 3M with the manufacturing rather than Imation. I will que up my copy tonight to confirm that the script is indeed on the disc.

Does anyone know if new jacket art was printing to reflect the deletion of the script?

Thanks-

Jimmy

Marko

#120 Post by Marko » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:56 am

I have the TAXI DRIVER and CRASH commentaries. I'm interested in the DEAD RINGERS Criterion comm. with Cronenberg and crew. Just PM me if you have something posted with a link.

exte

#121 Post by exte » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:59 pm

Marko wrote:I have the TAXI DRIVER and CRASH commentaries. I'm interested in the DEAD RINGERS Criterion comm. with Cronenberg and crew. Just PM me if you have something posted with a link.
Amazon.ca sells the canadian dvd, which ported this over. It's the version I have...

Marko

Re:

#122 Post by Marko » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:25 am

exte wrote:Amazon.ca sells the canadian dvd, which ported this over. It's the version I have...
The 2007 version selling for CDN$ 21.56 at Amazon.ca? That has the original commentary with both Scorsese and Schrader recorded in the late 80's instead of the new recent one with Schrader alone or Professor Robert Kolker?

Narshty

Re: Criterion Laserdiscs

#123 Post by Narshty » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:37 am

I think he's talking about Dead Ringers.

exte

#124 Post by exte » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:44 pm

Yup, Dead Ringers.

Marko

#125 Post by Marko » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:54 pm

oh ok awesome thanks!