551, 666, 838 Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Lino

551, 666, 838 Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

#1 Post by Lino » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:48 am

Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

Image Image

Throughout a career that encompasses both visually arresting art-house hits and big-budget Hollywood spectacles, director Guillermo del Toro has continually redefined and elevated the horror genre with his deeply personal explorations of myths and monsters. These three Spanish-language films, each a tale of childhood in troubled times, showcase his singular fusion of the fantastic and the real. Drawing inspiration from a rich variety of sources, from Alfred Hitchcock to Francisco de Goya, the gothic-infused stories collected here—populated by vampires, ghosts, and a fairy-tale princess—make evident why del Toro is considered the master cinematic fabulist of our time.

Cronos

Image Image

Guillermo del Toro made an auspicious and audacious feature debut with Cronos, a highly unorthodox tale about the seductiveness of the idea of immortality. Kindly antiques dealer Jesús Gris (Federico Luppi) happens upon an ancient golden device in the shape of a scarab, and soon finds himself the possessor and victim of its sinister, addictive powers, as well as the target of a mysterious American named Angel (a delightfully crude and deranged Ron Perlman). Featuring marvelous special makeup effects and the haunting imagery for which del Toro has become world-renowned, Cronos is a dark, visually rich, and emotionally captivating fantasy.

The Devil's Backbone

Image Image

One of the most personal films by Guillermo del Toro, The Devil's Backbone is also among his most frightening and emotionally layered. Set during the final week of the Spanish Civil War, it tells the tale of a twelve-year-old boy who, after his freedom-fighting father is killed, is sent to a haunted rural orphanage full of terrible secrets. Del Toro expertly combines gothic ghost story, murder mystery, and historical melodrama in a stylish mélange that, like his later Pan's Labyrinth, reminds us the scariest monsters are often the human ones.

Pan's Labyrinth

Image Image

An Academy Award–winning dark fable set five years after the end of the Spanish Civil War, Pan's Labyrinth encapsulates the rich visual style and genre-defying craft of Guillermo del Toro. Eleven-year-old Ofelia (Ivana Baquero, in a mature and tender performance) comes face to face with the horrors of fascism when she and her pregnant mother are uprooted to the countryside, where her new stepfather (Sergi López), a sadistic captain in General Franco's army, hunts down Republican guerrillas who refuse to give up the fight. The violent reality in which she lives merges seamlessly with a fantastical interior world when Ofelia meets a faun in a decaying labyrinth and is set on a strange, mythic journey that is at once terrifying and beautiful. In his revisiting of this bloody period in Spanish history, del Toro creates a vivid depiction of the monstrosities of war infiltrating a child's imagination and threatening the innocence of youth.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED COLLECTOR'S SET:

• High-definition digital restoration of Cronos, 2K digital restoration of The Devil's Backbone, newly graded 2K digital master of Pan's Labyrinth, all supervised and approved by director Guillermo del Toro, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack for Cronos and 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks for The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth on the Blu-rays
• Alternate DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround soundtrack for Pan's Labyrinth on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentaries on all three films
• Interviews with del Toro, director of photography Guillermo Navarro, and actors Doug Jones, Federico Luppi, and Ron Perlman
Welcome to Bleak House, a 2010 video tour by del Toro of his personal collections
• New piece on Pan's Labyrinth featuring del Toro and novelist Cornelia Funke
• Interactive director's notebooks for The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth
• Making-of documentaries for The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth
Geometria, a 1987 short horror film by del Toro finished in 2010
• Footage of actor Ivana Baquero auditioning for Pan's Labyrinth in 2005
• Original Spanish-language voice-over introduction for Cronos
• Introductions by del Toro for The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth
• Deleted scenes from The Devil's Backbone, with commentary by del Toro
• Selected on-screen picture-in-picture presentation of del Toro's thumbnail sketches for The Devil's Backbone
• Programs comparing del Toro's thumbnail sketches and production storyboards for The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth with the final films
• Piece on The Devil's Backbone's depiction of the Spanish Civil War
• Animated comics featuring prequel stories for the creatures of Pan's Labyrinth
• Gallery of stills from Cronos, captioned by del Toro
• Trailers and TV spots
• English subtitle translations approved by del Toro
• Deluxe box set for the Blu-ray, featuring new illustrations by Vania Zouravliov
• Blu-ray: A 100-page hardcover book featuring an introduction by author Neil Gaiman and essays by critics Michael Atkinson, Mark Kermode, and Maitland McDonagh, along with production notes and sketches by del Toro and illustrators Carlos Giménez and Raúl Monge
• DVD: Essays by Atkinson, Kermode, and McDonagh, and production notes for Cronos by del Toro

Fletch F. Fletch

Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)

#2 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:07 am

QuickTime and Windows Media Player versions available here

Fletch F. Fletch

#3 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:04 am

Some stills from the movie can be found here.

Fletch F. Fletch

#4 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:07 am

Fletch F. Fletch

#5 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:46 pm

A nice profile of the movie and some hints as to what Del Toro is up to next

Fletch F. Fletch

#7 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue May 30, 2006 12:43 pm

Looks like the film got much love at Cannes:

Salon.com

Cineuropa

Time

Cinematical

Fletch F. Fletch

#8 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:44 pm

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:59 am

The Invunche

#10 Post by The Invunche » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:55 am

Is Mignola involved in the movie?

Lino

#11 Post by Lino » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:20 pm

The Invunche wrote:Is Mignola involved in the movie?
Not that I know of but I'm sure he only did the poster because he must be very good friends with Del Toro. He will however be involved in Hellboy 2.

Fletch F. Fletch

#12 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:36 pm

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:16 am

Lino

#14 Post by Lino » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 am

Writer/Director Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile), shares his thoughts on Del Toro's new film.

Antoine Doinel

#15 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:33 am

You know what really grinds my gears? Frank Darabont.

He's made one servicable prison movie and now he's considered some kind of cinematic godsend.

Sorry, back to Pan's Labryinth.

Lino

#16 Post by Lino » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:14 am

lord_clyde

#17 Post by lord_clyde » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:52 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:You know what really grinds my gears? Frank Darabont.

He's made one servicable prison movie and now he's considered some kind of cinematic godsend.

Sorry, back to Pan's Labryinth.
Serviceable though it may be, it also happens to be one of the most popular films ever made. I foresee Richard Kelly turning out like him, one cult classic that will somehow make up for all the mediocrity to come.

Lino

#18 Post by Lino » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:23 am

Twitch review.

solaris72

#19 Post by solaris72 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:16 pm

Neil Gaiman wrote:Sunday Morning Cinema
Guillermo del Toro wanted me to see his film Pan's Labyrinth, and arranged a Sunday morning screening at the local cinema. So yesterday morning I discovered,

a) the the local cinema is also a church on Sunday mornings. Who knew?

b) that Pan's Labyrinth is an astonishing film. It's an uncompromisingly adult film, with a child and her fairy tale inset into it as a contrast and echo. You start the film believing it to be Ofelia's film, and you gradually discover that the adult story is not background but the story as well, and they move in tandem.

c) Despite gorgeous imagery (oh the faun! and oh the thing at the table!) and magical fairy-tale stuff, it deserves its R rating for real moments of extreme and bloody Spanish Civil War violence. I took all my adult children and a few of their friends to the screening, with Maddy (12) as the youngest, and there were bits she was much happier watching with her eyes shut.

d) It has subtitles. You don't notice this after a moment, mostly because the subtitles are so well written. Hoever, whenever Maddy had to avert her eyes she also discovered that she no longer knew what was being said, so I had to read the subtitles to her, grateful that we had that screening room to ourselves.

I'm really glad I saw it, and more glad that Guillermo made it. It feels like it opens up the vocabulary of fantasy on film. And it made me so happy in its interleaving of the fantastic and the mundane without privileging either.

Doctor Sunshine

#20 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:24 pm

Neil Gaiman wrote:b)... It's an uncompromisingly adult film,
Del Toro has never and will never make an adult-minded film. Compared to Gaiman this is frickin Ann Landers, yes, but this is still comic book-level stuff. (Wait, is that a good metaphor? Someone madlibs that up for me)
Neil Gaiman wrote:c) Despite gorgeous imagery (oh the faun! and oh the thing at the table!) and magical fairy-tale stuff,
I agree the faun was great and the eyeballs-in-palm guy was great but that's about all this movie has to offer. There's a large belching frog and one other thing I'm forgetting and that's all we get on that front. The vast majority of the film is spent with the family and the freedom fighter/fascist storyline. The build up to the fantasy bits is great and I was ready for this to rock Tideland's world, yet no worlds ended up being rocked. It's a fun movie but all of the character's are one-dimensional and every second del Toro spends on story points and emotion makes this that much lesser than Hellboy.
Neil Gaiman wrote:d) It has subtitles. You don't notice this after a moment, mostly because the subtitles are so well written. Hoever, whenever Maddy had to avert her eyes she also discovered that she no longer knew what was being said, so I had to read the subtitles to her, grateful that we had that screening room to ourselves.
What a jackass. I hate that guy.

Lino

#21 Post by Lino » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:06 pm

Fletch F. Fletch

#22 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:16 pm

An interview with Del Toro in the Guardian.

rohmerin

#23 Post by rohmerin » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:20 am

I'm not fond of Del Toro cinema, but I loved it the film (and not his previously Guerra Civil vision on El espinazo del diablo) I've seen it several weeks ago. It's a hit in Spain. The film is pretty good, adult and dark. Too much dark about our forgotten dark recent history. So dark and terrible that It freaks me out when I saw a film about the old Spanish conflict. Sergi Lopez a has got the role of his life.

Fletch F. Fletch

#24 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:44 pm

Mark Kermode loves it.

Jeff

#25 Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Mark Kermode loves it.
I liked it a lot too. Kermode pretty much echoed my thoughts. The only other del Toro film I've seen is The Devil's Backbone, and this one feels like a kindred spirit.