1208 The Roaring Twenties

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1208 The Roaring Twenties

#1 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:14 pm

The Roaring Twenties

Ripped from the headlines of the turbulent era between the Great War and the Great Depression, this dynamic, nostalgia-tinged crime drama balances tommy-gun action with epic historical sweep. Legends James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart star as army buddies whose fortunes rise and fall as their fates intersect, first in a foxhole on the front lines of World War I, then in Manhattan's Prohibition-era underworld. Directed by Hollywood master Raoul Walsh, and based on a story by prolific journalist turned screenwriter and producer Mark Hellinger, The Roaring Twenties brought to a close the celebrated Warner Bros. gangster cycle of the 1930s, and it remains one of the greatest and most influential crime films of all time.

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
• Audio commentary with film historian Lincoln Hurst
• New interview with critic Gary Giddins
• Excerpt from a 1973 interview with director Raoul Walsh
• Trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Mark Asch

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: 1208 The Roaring Twenties

#2 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:15 pm

Breaking the rules of the forum by just posting hell yeah

ryannichols7

#3 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:16 pm

a UHD! well worth the time it took for this to come. one wonders if High Sierra would've gotten that treatment had it come later

can anyone vouch for the commentary? it was on the WB disc. nice to see Gary Giddins on here after I just gave him a shout yesterday for his Paths of Glory track

Maltic

#4 Post by Maltic » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm

Finally.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:16 pm
a UHD! well worth the time it took for this to come. one wonders if High Sierra would've gotten that treatment had it come later

can anyone vouch for the commentary? it was on the WB disc. nice to see Gary Giddins on here after I just gave him a shout yesterday for his Paths of Glory track

I listened to it on the Warner DVD at some point, and remember going "mehh". But hey, this was at least 10 years ago.

I guess Giddens is what separates this from a standard Warner Archive release. Yay. I like him too, though. If it's a thorough interview, maybe that's all we need...

ryannichols7

#5 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:32 pm

Maltic wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm
Finally.
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:16 pm

I listened to it on the Warner DVD at some point, and remember going "mehh". But hey, this was at least 10 years ago.

I guess Giddens is what separates this from a standard Warner Archive release. Yay. I like him too, though. If it's a thorough interview, maybe that's all we need...
I'll take it, better than nothing. Giddins should cover a lot of ground, I usually enjoy his stuff a lot and he's usually well prepared. the big difference here though is the 4K DV release, something WAC wouldn't have given us. I'll take these long waits for WB titles if that's the end result

Bressonaire

#6 Post by Bressonaire » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:01 pm

Unlikely as it seems, this is the first Cagney movie in the Criterion Collection!

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:15 pm

Well, they couldn't have picked a better one!

FrauBlucher

#8 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 am

FrauBlucher

#9 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:55 am

Got a chance to watch this over the last few days. It looks marvelous and it's Cagney at his best. I think Walsh's films are distinctive in that you feel a certain rhythm and pacing I don't feel in many other studio system directors. As for the supps, Giddins' interview was excellent but the Hurst commentary track was very underwhelming. It bores me to tears when it's mostly a play by play track
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#10 Post by Finch » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:23 pm

Maybe I've seen too many Giddins interviews lately but I wasn't thrilled. The 4 minute piece with Walsh is mostly scenes from the film and he doesn't add anything particularly insightful either. I don't listen to commentaries and after what FB had to say about Hurst's, I'm even less likely to sample that one. Criterion continue to be seriously underwhelming to awful with the supplements and I think considering what the competition from the UK is offering both in terms of quality and quantity, the RRP is, even considering that it's a dual format of 4K and BD, bordering a little on cheeky. Yes, Warner Archive's own BD of the film would have been only 5 bucks less at full retail price than Criterion's BD standalone but Warner's discs get discounted even more so than Criterion's if you are patient. Criterion have long been rumored to have Captain Blood and the two remaining Lewtons and with the latter two, I feel like literally the only reason we'd want Criterion over WAC to release those is the inclusion of a UHD for Zombie and Seventh Victim. Great looking Blu-Ray (got no setup to sample the 4K yet) but otherwise this release is disappointing.

dwk

#11 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:44 pm

I wonder if WB is getting stricter with approving extras, because other than JFK and Natural Born Killers, it seems the last few Warner titles from Shout/Scream have either added only one or two interviews (for "Collectors' Editions" like The Island of Dr. Moreau & Lost in Space), a commentary ("Special Edition" of Coma) or nothing at all (the television version of The Shining, Lost Souls and The Terminal Man).

FrauBlucher

#12 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:54 pm

I know it's not thought of very much but I do think that the essays in pamphlets/booklets are a worthwhile addition to the releases. I sometimes find them more interesting and informative than some of the video supplements and some of the commentaries

FlickeringWindow

#13 Post by FlickeringWindow » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:11 pm

Criterion should have added the "Night at the Movies" preshow the Warner DVD had, especially since there's some 1939 shorts, cartoons, and trailers that would have been available in HD.

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:59 pm

I forgot about the essay because I also think Criterion's decision to print the essays on foldouts instead of traditional booklets is annoying because they're more cumbersome to hold.

If dwk is right with his speculation that WB won't let the boutique labels curate more extras, I suspect that they also wouldn't have let Criterion replicate the Night at the Movies preshow (if CC wanted to include this in the first place).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:17 pm

The DVD included a Tex Avery short!

dwk

#16 Post by dwk » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:10 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:59 pm
If dwk is right with his speculation that WB won't let the boutique labels curate more extras, I suspect that they also wouldn't have let Criterion replicate the Night at the Movies preshow (if CC wanted to include this in the first place).
I had forgotten that Orphan was a WB licensed title, that, for some inexplicable reason, Scream Factory felt needed four new audio commentaries. So my observation could be of nothing more than a fluke and Shout just had a run of lighter than normal releases (I imagine WB's legal department being quite strict with extras for a troubled production like The Island of Dr. Moreau). Although it could be a case where Dark Castle has to approve the extras for Orphan not WB.