1175 Inland Empire

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
PfR73

Re: 1175 Inland Empire

#601 Post by PfR73 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 pm

Monologue:
SpoilerShow
They sent her to a place for minors that deals with shit like this. It was in the country, like a... like a children's prison. All around they had barbed wire and... guard dogs. And guess what? She killed a woman guard. She escapes first, using her to clear the front gate. She gets way off down the street and flags a truck. Trucker slows, pulls his semi to a stop; meanwhile this one-legged girl beats this woman guard to death with the woman guard's own billy club... which all the guards carry in this place cause they can't have guns. So after killin' her like it was shaking her hand... she rolls her off the road down into some ditch with tall weeds and grass... climbs up with one leg, and a wooden one, into the truck. "Where's your friend?" he says, the trucker. "She was just helping me... get outta here" she says. "Where you headed?" he says. "Where you're goin', baby" she says; she was 8 years old at the time, probably be about 16 by now. No one who knew her seen her since.
Deleted scene
SpoilerShow
Polish Voice: You don't remember?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki...

Laura Dern: Where are you?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki, I can barely hear you.

Laura Dern: Where are you?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki... I can hardly hear you. Better question is, where are you?

Laura Dern: I don't know, I don't know where I am.

Polish Voice: You don't remember?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Speak into the phone.

Polish Voice: Do you understand?

Laura Dern: *mumbles*

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki, I can't really talk right now.

Laura Dern: No, it's *mumbles*

Justin Theroux (phone VO): What?

Laura Dern: I didn't *mumbles*

Polish Voice: But are you sure?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): What are you talking about?

Polish Voice: Tell me everything.

Laura Dern: Cause I never been there, I don't know where that is.

Polish Voice: Isn't it so, right?

Laura Dern: Cause I don't know even where that is.

Female Rabbit: There is something here!

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I gotta go, Nikki.

Laura Dern: Listen...

Polish Voice: Do you hear?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I gotta go now.

Laura Dern: There is something here... you hear that?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I don't think...

Polish Voice: It glows within me. Like gold.

Laura Dern: Something here...

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I don't hear anything.

Laura Dern: Something here...

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Go to bed, Nikki.

Laura Dern: Last night...

Polish Voice: Right?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): What about it?

Polish Voice: It could have destroyed a dream, right?

Laura Dern: Your voice is frightening me...

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki, I'm going now.

Polish Voice: It could have destroyed a dream...

Laura Dern: No.

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki, I've got to go now.

Laura Dern: No.

Polish Voice: Right?

Laura Dern: No, I'm not gonna listen.

Polish Voice: Right, dear?

Laura Dern: No, I'm not gonna listen if you don't tell me where you are.

Laura Dern: Tell me, please. Cause I wanna see you. Please.

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I'm just saying it's late.

Laura Dern: Why?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I'm just saying it's late.

Laura Dern: No, I just don't wanna be alone.

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I'm sorry, Nikki. I don't... I don't know... maybe we met at the wrong time, OK?

Laura Dern: I didn't mean to meet you. I didn't mean to meet anybody like you.

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Are you still there?

Laura Dern: I want you to come around. Why don't you come around, I can't sleep anymore. I can't even sleep. I can't even *mumbles*

Polish Voice: It wasn't me...

Laura Dern: I just want to go to sleep.

Justin Theroux (phone VO): I'm sorry, Nikki.

Polish Voice: Maybe I fucked you a few times...

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki, are you still there?

Laura Dern: Tell me the truth.

Justin Theroux (phone VO): What do you... what do you mean? What do you mean, Nikki?

Other Laura Dern: *laughs*

Laura Dern: Will you stop fucking with me?

Justin Theroux (phone VO): Nikki, I gotta-

Laura Dern: Stop it!
The amount of dialogue from that voice in that scene is significant, and the subtitles on the DVD were player generated, but forced. Since the DVD was direct from Lynch's company, I feel like he wanted those subtitles there. I suspect they were left off because the video was copied, but the subtitle track was overlooked, since they weren't burned-in subtitles. I've already written to Jon Mulvaney and I encourage anyone who cares about this release to do so also.

ianthemovie

#602 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:49 pm

The re-release trailer is identical to the original U.S. release trailer (other than being updated to show the restored image, obviously). It would have been nice to have all the different trailers for archival purposes, but at least the one that has been included still reflects how the film was originally marketed. 2006 trailer for reference.

therewillbeblus

#603 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:15 pm

Thank you, PfR73!

DeprongMori

#604 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:02 pm

Question: Has anyone else run into this issue that one person has reported on Facebook?
Anyone else experience an audio drop at 2:35:56.

Right about when he says, “Nicky, you are wonderful”
If so, the combination of this and the unsubtitled Polish in “More Things That Happened” looks like it might be time for another disk replacement program.

PfR73

#605 Post by PfR73 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:41 pm

That line is at 2:35:41, not 2:35:56. I don't notice anything wrong on my disc at either timestamp. The mix gets kind of quiet before he says the line, but it's not an audio drop. It's basically the same on the Criterion as the UK Blu-ray & US DVD.

Roger Ryan

#606 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:44 am

The same. I checked both the 5.1 track and the stereo track and did not hear any audio dropout. I didn't check it with headphones, but if the defect is that subtle, I don't think it's going to trouble too many viewers.

omegadirective

#607 Post by omegadirective » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:43 am

I get it!
I get it!
I completely understand the meaning of this movie!

*immediately dies*

therewillbeblus

#608 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:04 am

PfR73 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 pm
The amount of dialogue from that voice in that scene is significant, and the subtitles on the DVD were player generated, but forced. Since the DVD was direct from Lynch's company, I feel like he wanted those subtitles there. I suspect they were left off because the video was copied, but the subtitle track was overlooked, since they weren't burned-in subtitles. I've already written to Jon Mulvaney and I encourage anyone who cares about this release to do so also.
I emailed as well, this really is significant and helps "inform" a lot. I'd never seen the More Things That Happened feature before, but the scene with the Lost Girl and the Phantom alone helps aid a lot of simple interpretations. Kinda feels like everything he's done from Lost Highway on (with the exception of The Straight Story) is a version of the "We are like the dreamer who dreams, and then lives inside the dream" philosophy

Edit: Already received a response
Mulvaney wrote:Thanks for pointing this out. I will address this with our production team and see if it’s something that can be fixed on subsequent pressings.

PfR73

#609 Post by PfR73 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:57 pm

I got the same response yesterday. On the one hand, disappointing they're not clearly saying they will fix the issue & offer replacements, but at least they're not totally shooting down the idea of fixing it, like they did to me with the missing film subtitles on Sound of Metal, which I think is a much worse problem. We'll see what happens.

PfR73

#610 Post by PfR73 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:14 pm

While looking around for information on the new Studio Canal Blu-rays to see if they had any new exclusive bonus features (they don't; they only have "Lynch (One)", "More Things That Happened", and an interview carried over from the original UK Blu-ray), I found these posts about an audio change to the new restoration:
At 41:22 on the Criterion Blu-ray, the line "It's the, uh, 90-year-old niece" has been changed to "It's the, uh, niece".

I've compared the original US DVD, the original UK Blu-ray, and the Criterion Blu-ray and can confirm that the line has been altered on the Criterion Blu-ray, with the comments stating the new UK Blu-ray has the change also, indicating it was a change to the restoration itself and not just the Criterion release.

Ignore the part in that blu-ray.com post about the missing Polish subtitle, that's only referring to the UK Blu-rays. It is present on the Criterion release.