1037 The War of the Worlds

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
TheKieslowskiHaze

Re: 1037 The War of the Worlds

#26 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:09 am
FrauBlucher wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:10 am
bluray.com
Of course Svet takes this review as an opportunity to explain his transformation from pragmatic rationalist to U.F.O.-believer (without actually explaining it at all)
If this is his new thing, I'm all for it. I'd rather read about how I, Daniel Blake is secretly about aliens than about how it is secretly an anti-welfare screed. Both make equal amounts of sense, but at least the first one is fun.

Mr Sausage

#27 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:39 am

I think this is the first time I've seen a UFO believer declare himself irrational after examining the evidence. Svet is the master of a new kind of paradox, the unnoticed self-aware comment. In his poor command of English he's hit on a proposition about himself far truer than whatever he had intended to say.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#28 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Additionally, this could be a tacit defense of Space Force.

Ahab

#29 Post by Ahab » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Orlac wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 am
Mind you, one of the sad things about growing old is realising that contact with alien life-forms isn't very likely.

Then again, considering this film, maybe that is a blessing!
Not even likely we will ever be able to travel to a life-sustaining planet outside of our solar system. Article today in Washington Post about new planets found orbiting a star 11 light years away:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... liese-887/

The last paragraph from article:
At 33,000 mph, the speed of NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft cruising at the edge of the solar system, a trip to GJ 887 would take more than 220,000 years.
It all seemed so easy when reading sci fi back in the 50's and 60's. Thought for sure that by now my children or grandchildren would be living on another planet. :cry:

EddieLarkin

#30 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Whilst this goes to the boutiques in the US and Australia for BD release, Universal will distribute it in the European territories on 4K UHD.

The Curious Sofa

#31 Post by The Curious Sofa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:44 pm

Ahab wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 pm
Orlac wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 am
Mind you, one of the sad things about growing old is realising that contact with alien life-forms isn't very likely.

Then again, considering this film, maybe that is a blessing!
Not even likely we will ever be able to travel to a life-sustaining planet outside of our solar system. Article today in Washington Post about new planets found orbiting a star 11 light years away:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... liese-887/

The last paragraph from article:
At 33,000 mph, the speed of NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft cruising at the edge of the solar system, a trip to GJ 887 would take more than 220,000 years.
It all seemed so easy when reading sci fi back in the 50's and 60's. Thought for sure that by now my children or grandchildren would be living on another planet. :cry:
Everybody who has seen a few science fiction films knows that there always is a handy wormhole to get you there. ;)

I watched the Australian release and hadn't watched the film since I saw it on tv in my teens. It looks lovely but I've never had a lot of affection for this The War of the Worlds. As if to troll Wells, the aggressively christian message leaves a bad taste in the mouth, it's positively fundamentalist. I also always found the heroine profoundly irritating and useless.