1029 Husbands

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
paa400

#26 Post by paa400 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:11 am

I started that petition out of frustration. Sony doesn't seem to care about giving Husbands a proper DVD release. As far as Rowlands is concerned I have no idea. It would be nice if they put the missing vomit scene back in, but I'm not holding my breath. We need more signatures!

justeleblanc

#27 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Forget Sony for the time being, if we contact Rowlands directly, that might at least help our cause a little.

Thinking about it... would a director's cut be owned by Sony?

paa400

#28 Post by paa400 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:13 pm

I don't think there is anyway to contact her. I don't think Sony has a director's cut-I assumed that when they took out the 10 minutes that was that. I'd be happy with just a restored print widescreen barebones release of the movie...for now. There's nothing at all wrong with wanting the film the way Cassavetes originally wanted it, but if the people in control of his work don't care about that I wouldn't want to not have the film properly released on DVD becuase of the vomit scene.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#29 Post by Faux Hulot » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:22 pm

The same crew at UCLA that did the restoration/preservation of the second cut of Shadows (see Criterion DVD for details) have also restored a nearly-complete version of Husbands, but who knows if Sony even knows the print exists, much less whether they have plans to release it. It can't hurt to contact anybody who might have a hand in it, to show that there's indeed a demand.

pemmican

#30 Post by pemmican » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:20 pm

Tom Charity reports having seen the "good" restored version of HUSBANDS at a screening in England a few years ago, so it does play...

A.

justeleblanc

#31 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:50 pm

pemmican wrote:Tom Charity reports having seen the "good" restored version of HUSBANDS at a screening in England a few years ago, so it does play...

A.
I wonder what the running time on this version is.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#32 Post by Faux Hulot » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:05 pm

My understanding is that five or six minutes of the exised footage was restored, but the rest is MIA.

paa400

#33 Post by paa400 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:18 pm

You would think Husbands would be released besed on the superficial appeal of "Columbo" being one of the "stars" of the film, but what the hell do I know? LOL-anyone out there know Ben Gazzara?

pemmican

#34 Post by pemmican » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:37 am

Falk and Gazarra both have Friendster profiles, last I saw...! But I don't know that you'll have any luck contacting them. I assume Gazarra isn't in the best of health, given what seems to be happening to his voice lately.

It's unfortunate, but my guess is that Sony won't release either of these films until after Falk and/or Gazarra die, to try to capitalize on that; hell, they may be holding back for just that reason. It's the same logic by which certain hip local bookstores suddenly have Stanislaw Lem displays this week (he just died) -- people are quite shameless about these things, and its a given that when people die, interest in their work goes up. Vampires...

Actually, I'd like to see Falk in ALL THE MARBLES again -- anyone remember that? It's a much-much better film about female wrestlers than anyone would have any right to expect it to be. Falk is their manager and the lover of one... I remember having liked it, when I was in my early 20's... That's getting to be awhile ago, though. Can't imagine it'll get a DVD release anytime soon, either.

A.

justeleblanc

#35 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:10 pm

How is Sony's relationship with Criterion in terms of liscensing?

Something I thought of is that they're not waiting for Falk to die, they're waiting for Rowlands to die. I know Carney is.

paa400

#36 Post by paa400 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:59 pm

You said it not me! LOL.

justeleblanc

#37 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:09 pm

I am also wondering what the Nick Cassavetes's role is in all of this, whether or not he's on Gena's side.

redbill

#38 Post by redbill » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:16 pm

justeleblanc wrote:I am also wondering what the Nick Cassavetes's role is in all of this, whether or not he's on Gena's side.
I think they're busy on the script for The Notebook 2.

souvenir

#39 Post by souvenir » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:12 pm

pemmican wrote: I assume Gazarra isn't in the best of health, given what seems to be happening to his voice lately.
He's about to start a new play on Broadway so I doubt he's knocking on death's door.

paa400

#40 Post by paa400 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:55 am

Gazzara is just wonderful! Terrific! Fairy Harry!

Floyd

#41 Post by Floyd » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:07 pm

It would be some great news if Husbands could be put out somehow. I ventured to my college library not long ago and spent most of the day watching Love Streams and Husbands on VHS on there tiny televisions. I don't know if I have ever wrestled myself with a film as much as I did with Husbands. I didn't know what to feel or think concerning the dialogue or the personalities of any of the main characters. I was completely disconnected from everything and it felt extremely awkward. It was a difficult watch but I hope to be able to battle it again on DVD format sometime.

paa400

#42 Post by paa400 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:04 pm

We're almost at 100 signatures which is fantastic!

justeleblanc

#43 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:28 pm

Floyd wrote:It would be some great news if Husbands could be put out somehow. I ventured to my college library not long ago and spent most of the day watching Love Streams and Husbands on VHS on there tiny televisions. I don't know if I have ever wrestled myself with a film as much as I did with Husbands. I didn't know what to feel or think concerning the dialogue or the personalities of any of the main characters. I was completely disconnected from everything and it felt extremely awkward. It was a difficult watch but I hope to be able to battle it again on DVD format sometime.
I think this comment works best with your avatar. :D

gubbelsj

#44 Post by gubbelsj » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:44 am

souvenir wrote:
pemmican wrote: I assume Gazarra isn't in the best of health, given what seems to be happening to his voice lately.
He's about to start a new play on Broadway so I doubt he's knocking on death's door.
From what I've heard, he's actually doing fine. He did contract throat cancer back in 1999, lost almost 50 pounds, and endured radiation. He still takes a lot of medication and requires some kind of artificial-saliva spray, but he did successfully beat the cancer. A relief - he's one of the best, if shamefully underused. And did you know he was the original Brick in the 1955 production of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof?

paa400

#45 Post by paa400 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:21 am

He was also in the Catcher in the Rye play which I think only had 2 performances because Salinger detested it-Gazzara is one of my all time favorites-I even loved him in that horrible Patrick Swayze movie Roadhouse.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#46 Post by Faux Hulot » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:08 am

He completely nailed the portrayal of my dad in Buffalo '66. Well, at least that's what my girlfriend at the time thought.

souvenir

#47 Post by souvenir » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:00 am

Husbands is playing this Sunday at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. According to their website, it's a 154 min. cut. IMDB lists 138 min. as the original release version and 131 min. as the television print. Any ideas as to the significance of this longer running time, or whether this version has been circulating? I plan on going and will report back.

Anonymous

#48 Post by Anonymous » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:01 am

I don't know the exact differences in the Husbands cuts, but I have the long version from subcin.com I suppose they're showing that one. I will attend the screening for sure and report whether it's the same as the uncut transfer from subcin.com

jaredsap

#49 Post by jaredsap » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:08 am

souvenir wrote:Husbands is playing this Sunday at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. According to their website, it's a 154 min. cut. IMDB lists 138 min. as the original release version and 131 min. as the television print. Any ideas as to the significance of this longer running time, or whether this version has been circulating? I plan on going and will report back.
I saw the 138 min. cut in LA last year -- it's possible this longer cut getting play heralds an impending DVD release. (Then again, I note the museum's website doesn't say that a new 35mm print was struck as it does for e.g. THE HEARTBREAK KID.) I guess either both versions are in circulation or it's a typo.

fred

#50 Post by fred » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:34 am

souvenir wrote:According to their website, it's a 154 min. cut.
This sort of detail isn't their forte. I'd presume that they're wrong until proven otherwise by the actual screening.