700 Fantastic Mr. Fox

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Matt

700 Fantastic Mr. Fox

#1 Post by Matt » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:37 am

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox is the story of a clever, quick, nimble, and exceptionally well-dressed wild animal. A compulsive chicken thief turned newspaper reporter, Mr. Fox settles down with his family at a new foxhole in a beautiful tree directly adjacent to three enormous poultry farms—owned by three ferociously vicious farmers: Boggis, Bunce, and Bean. Mr. Fox simply cannot resist. This adaptation of Roald Dahl’s classic children’s novel from Wes Anderson is a meticulous work of stop-motion animation featuring vibrant performances by George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Willem Dafoe, Michael Gambon, and Bill Murray.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

- New digital master, approved by director Wes Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary featuring Anderson
- Storyboard animatics for the entire film
- Footage of the actors voicing their characters, puppet construction, stop-motion setups, and the recording of the score
- Interviews with cast and crew
- Puppet animation tests
- Photo gallery of puppets, props, and sets
- Animated awards acceptance speeches
- Audio recording of author Roald Dahl reading the book on which the film is based
- Gallery of Dahl’s original manuscripts
- Discussion and analysis of the film
- Stop-motion Sony robot commercial by Anderson
- One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay; a 2002 article on Dahl’s Gipsy House by Anderson; White Cape, a comic book used as a prop in the film; and drawings, original paintings, and other ephemera

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

javelin

#2 Post by javelin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:09 am

King of Kong wrote:It seems Anderson is in the process of adapting Roald Dahl's masterpiece Fantastic Mr Fox for the silver screen.

We're in for a treat, I just know it ;)
Yeah, and he's apparently making it in the same stop-motion manner he used with Zissou. Fun.

Matt

#3 Post by Matt » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:12 pm

Here's some more gland-stimulating news from the New York Observer for you Anderfans:

Bottle Racket

by Gabriel Sherman, George Gurley, Rebecca Dana and Michael Calderone

All those so-called hipsters fervently awaiting Wes Anderson’s follow-up to The Life Aquatic don’t need to obsessively check IMDb; starting next week, they just have to turn on the TV. Mr. Anderson’s latest oeuvre won’t be yet another campy comedy starring a morose Bill Murray—rather, he’s been enlisted by Coca-Cola to direct four 30-second television ads for their Dasani bottled-water brand.

In January, Mr. Anderson spent two days filming the $1 million project at the Silvercup Studios in Long Island City. And when the spots break next week, the series will enter regular rotation in prime time with such high-profile buys as the NCAA basketball tournament, broadcast on CBS.

The ads were created by independent New York agency Anomaly, a nine-month-old boutique firm based out of a Hudson Street loft. In a coup last August, Anomaly won the $20 million Dasani account—making it the youngest firm to get a slice of Coke’s $2 billion annual marketing budget.

"I wrote the spots intending them to be directed by Wes. We rolled the dice that he would direct," said Ernest Lupinacci, a partner and creative director at Anomaly who wrote and conceived the television campaign.

The commercials each star an actor clad in a schlocky animal costume shilling for Dasani. The spots unfold on oversized sets of Brobdingnagian scale and Andersonian attention to detail. In one spot, a guy dressed in a cocker-spaniel outfit flops through a dog door into a giant kitchen with a stove towering nine feet off the floor and discovers his first sip of Dasani water. With one swig, he immediately evangelizes the improvement in taste over tap water. In another spot, a Type-A woman in a hamster costume frenetically churns a hamster wheel with all the sweat-soaked fervor of a gym-addled Manhattanite. She crows about how she can’t drink enough Dasani. The third and fourth ads in the series star a bear who praises Dasani’s pure taste over the water he gulps out of his local mountain stream.

"You can’t believe the dry mouth you wake up with after three months of hibernation," he says as he takes a sip.

"The idea behind the spots was that if you found someone who only drank water, and if they drank this water, it would be so much better," Mr. Lupinacci said. "It dawned on me: My dog only drinks water. Animals are the perfect spokespersons for bottle water. Playfully, it’s like the classic testimonials. We liked the idea of being in your face. Except if we just had a person talking about the product, that would be a drag."

Mr. Anderson, now 35, leapt to auteur status as a 26-year-old budding filmmaker from the University of Texas with his 1996 cult classic Bottle Rocket. And purists who may accuse him of selling out should know that the Dasani spots are not Mr. Anderson’s first forays into advertising. In 1999, he directed a television ad for Sony, and he followed up that effort with a 2002 spot for Ikea. Mr. Lupinacci said that the Dasani spots will be the most recognizable examples of Mr. Anderson’s signature style.

"In the age of the cynical consumer who is overmarketed to, the best thing is to be very up-front. But you have to do it in a way that’s unexpected," Mr. Lupinacci said. "With Wes, maybe it’s just semantics, but this isn’t just a commercial—it’s a question of filmmaking. I optimistically and intuitively felt these spots are character-driven. There’s humor, but there’s also a heartfelt story."

Mr. Anderson was traveling in Europe and was not available to comment on the Dasani campaign.

—Gabriel Sherman

rossbrew

#4 Post by rossbrew » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:44 pm

Gosh...can't wait for his new feminine napkin commercials...yipee!

Napoleon

#5 Post by Napoleon » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:48 pm

Anderson = Sell out media whore!

No, actually I'm sure that the adverts will be very nice. Plus Wes could probably do with the money. After Aquatics underperformance he may well have to produce his next movie himself.

Andre Jurieu

#6 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:10 pm

New York Observer wrote: The third and fourth ads in the series star a bear who praises Dasani’s pure taste over the water he gulps out of his local mountain stream.

"You can’t believe the dry mouth you wake up with after three months of hibernation," he says as he takes a sip.
I've seen this spot already (probably because I love March Madness and have been glued to the TV for the entire weekend of games). It was amusing, but not incredibly impressive.

skuhn8

#7 Post by skuhn8 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:16 am

Anybody know which Ikea commercial he did?
I remember there was one with the old lamp being thrown out and a new one replacing it. It's raining. And then a nutty Swede assures us that it was an old lamp and the new one is much better. Cracked me up. Was this his work?

ben d banana

#8 Post by ben d banana » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:06 am

I believe that one was Spike Jonze, check out his new adidas ad.

Anderson's involved the couple pretending to argue in the living room suite if I recall correctly.

Michael Strangeways

#9 Post by Michael Strangeways » Mon May 02, 2005 2:17 pm

I'm so horrified that Wes Anderson made those ads, 'cause, I HATE those ads and I love his movies. Everytime I watch those ads I think how sad it is to be an actor and have to demean yourself doing something so stupid to pay the bills.... it's the equilavent of the people in costumes and/or sandwich boards having to march outside your local mattress store, but much better paid, of course.

Cinesimilitude

#10 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:46 pm

I wonder if criterion will release this as their first fully animated feature or turn it down.

has the complete absence of animation from the collection ever been questioned?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#11 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:37 pm

There was an entire thread dedicated to potential animated Criterions on the old forum. The idea of a line dedicated entirely to animation has also come up every now and then.

Incidentally, Jeffrey Wells is reporting that Wes has another script almost ready to go and may well end up shooting it before The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Lino

#12 Post by Lino » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:38 am

What happened to this then? And why has Selick left production?

Jeff

#13 Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:33 pm

Myra Breckinridge wrote:What happened to this then? And why has Selick left production?
Ostensibly because nothing was happening with it, and didn't look like it was going to. I'm ashamed to link to this site, but it's the only reference I can find. Anderson had said at one point that he didn't know if he would be directing, if Selick would, or if they would co-direct. The fact that he has no animator, no cast, and no production start-date does not bode well -- especially since Joe Roth intends to dump all of Revolution's features currently in production into theaters by October of next year. Who knows, maybe Anderson will be able to set it up somewhere else later, but it certainly sounds like he's focused on the India project for now.

Antoine Doinel

#14 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:55 pm

It looks like this is back on track and will be filmed after Darjeeling Limited for a 2008/2009 release:
Source: Variety by: Mike Sampson

Fox Animation has come aboard to finance and distribute the stop-motion adaptation of Roald Dahl's THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX to be directed by Wes Anderson. The script was written by Anderson and Noah Baumbach who collaborated on THE LIFE AQUATIC before Baumbach went on to write and direct THE SQUID AND THE WHALE. The story tells of a fox who uses his wiles to outwit three farmers who aim to get rid of him after they catch him stealing chickens. FOX was originally set up at Revolution before it was put in turnaround. Fox quickly jumped on it after pacting with Anderson on his upcoming live-action feature THE DARJEELING LIMITED with Owen Wilson and Adrien Brody. Anderson will work on pre-production and design while filming DARJEELING and Fox hopes to position the film for their next animated release after 2008's HORTON HEARS A WHO.

jon

#15 Post by jon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:47 am

I enjoyed Fantastic Mr. Fox when i was younger, so im glad it is back again, though im wary as to how it is going to turn out. What kind of soundtrack etc. How much Anderson style will be impressed upon the product.

Cinesimilitude

#16 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:48 pm

jon wrote:I enjoyed Fantastic Mr. Fox when i was younger, so im glad it is back again, though im wary as to how it is going to turn out. What kind of soundtrack etc. How much Anderson style will be impressed upon the product.
In light of recent obsessions (and the fact that Anderson used his music on Royal Tenenbaums) I would love it to have an instrumental soundtrack based on the music of Nick Drake.

jon

#17 Post by jon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:52 pm

Cross-forum influence!

Cinesimilitude

#18 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:57 pm

jon wrote:Cross-forum influence!
I started the Nick Drake thread, so It's User Influence. and thats what its all about, no?

jon

#19 Post by jon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Yes, i know. I just thought it was funny you were talking about it in the other thread and here. But it is a good idea. I would love to see some Drake in the new film. Im just trying to think about what tone the film might have. Is it going to be really stylized, how mature will it be, what kind of rating will it get, etc. I can't see the film having too much Drake considering the content of Dahl's story. Any thoughts on how you think he will recreate it.

I believe it was one of his childhood favorites, that's why i am wondering how true he will stay to the source material. How simple will it be.

Jeff

#20 Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:53 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:It looks like this is back on track and will be filmed after Darjeeling Limited for a 2008/2009 release
I wonder if Henry Selick is back as well. He had dropped out of the project too. Perhaps that was just because it was in limbo. I won't be nearly as interested in this if they use a different animator.

Fletch F. Fletch

#21 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:50 pm

From the Guardian:
Friday February 23, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

After starring opposite each other in The Good German, George Clooney and Cate Blanchett will work together again in Wes Anderson's upcoming stop-motion film The Fantastic Mr Fox. Clooney will play a sly fox that must elude a trio of farmers, with Blanchett as his wife. Anderson, who has earned a steady cult following through such distinctive films as The Life Aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums, will commence shooting once he has polished off his latest offering, The Darjeeling Ltd.

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:22 pm

A few more details on the development of the film including new plotlines and characters being written just for the film.

Tom Hagen

#23 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm

exte

#24 Post by exte » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm

So I'm guessing the year should be changed in the thread title, no?

Lino

#25 Post by Lino » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Jarvis Cocker is working on music for the film.
Fantastic! I was a big Pulp fan back in the day so color me very excited about this. In fact, come and think of it, he could also do Mr. Fox's own voice - Jarvis' is very peculiar and very british in its own wording.