886 L'argent

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
nitin

Re: 886 L'argent

#76 Post by nitin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:23 pm

It may also be quite possible that the LUT is meant to apply when you actually project the restoration out onto 35mm and not digitally (ie it is not an emulation LUT literally) and that photochemical process and 35mm projection characteristics of printing onto 35mm would nullify/negate/reverse the LUT changes so that the final projection looks like the grading pre-LUT applications.

Which is speculation but does tie into the point you were making earlier that perhaps these final restorations are not intended for digital or gnome video viewing but 35mm projection.

jsteffe

#77 Post by jsteffe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 pm

nitin wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:23 pm
It may also be quite possible that the LUT is meant to apply when you actually project the restoration out onto 35mm and not digitally (ie it is not an emulation LUT literally) and that photochemical process and 35mm projection characteristics of printing onto 35mm would nullify/negate/reverse the LUT changes so that the final projection looks like the grading pre-LUT applications.

Which is speculation but does tie into the point you were making earlier that perhaps these final restorations are not intended for digital or gnome video viewing but 35mm projection.
Yes--that is what I was had in mind regarding the video of L'ARGENT, rather than an emulation LUT. The video is probably timed to produce a 35mm preservation master (or something like that). The video is no doubt correctly produced for that purpose, but Eclair did not bother to produce a second master that is technically suited for home video viewing. That is why the color is so distorted on the Blu-ray.

At least that is my theory.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#78 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 pm

I liked "gnome video"... ;-( (edited -- because now the post has replaced this with the correct word)
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#79 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:43 am

And of course there's also the mystery of what the cinematographer is signing off on when they're consulted. Are they seeing the same colours as the home viewer?

Ran, for instance, just looks plain wrong in the latest version - I've seen it in 35mm many times (I'd often screen it in rep and would pop in to watch favourite scenes), and I'm prepared to swear under oath that it did NOT look like that: I remember the reds and yellows being much punchier, and no teal tint. And yet the restoration was cinematograpber-approved.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#80 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:58 am

But was the final restoration approved ? Did he see it ? And if he did, did he see the final version as on the disc, or something intermediary ? For instance, Don't Look Now was supposedly restored with Roeg's approval when it got released in the UK. But did he approve the DNR ?

I mean : at some point, there's got to be SOMEONE SOMEWHERE that look back at this and wonder "was it that yellow when I was in the lab ?"

jsteffe

#81 Post by jsteffe » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:43 am
And of course there's also the mystery of what the cinematographer is signing off on when they're consulted. Are they seeing the same colours as the home viewer?

Ran, for instance, just looks plain wrong in the latest version - I've seen it in 35mm many times (I'd often screen it in rep and would pop in to watch favourite scenes), and I'm prepared to swear under oath that it did NOT look like that: I remember the reds and yellows being much punchier, and no teal tint. And yet the restoration was cinematographer-approved.
I also have seen RAN in 35mm many times over the years from when it first opened in Los Angeles. That new Blu-ray of the restoration absolutely does not match what I ever saw on the screen. I am also prepared to swear under oath on this point! :)

I strongly suspect that it was also a case where Eclair applied a LUT for technical reasons, and that what the cinematographer Ueda approved in the grading suite does not look like the end product that we are stuck with. Besides being too teal, it is often way too dark. Many of the outdoors scenes were shot in bright sunlight, a point which really stands out when you watch the film on 35mm. (I am not talking about the siege of the castle, of course.)

To echo what Tenia has been saying, why does the restoration of RAN resemble other Eclair restorations (such as L'ARGENT) more closely than it does the 35mm release prints of RAN that I and so many people have watched over the years? Even though the older Blu-ray master of RAN looks pretty weak, at least the color is closer what I always loved on the big screen. The Criterion DVD edition is also good, and worth holding onto if you have it.

nitin

#82 Post by nitin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:07 pm

I wasn’t sure where the best place to post this would be but since the last post in this thread was about Ran, and because the preceding posts were about the LUTs applied by Ritrovata and (since 2013) Eclair, the Camera Obsucra insider’s latest comment on the topic is here:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... unt=182795