52-53 Yojimbo and Sanjuro

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
jcelwin

#76 Post by jcelwin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:02 pm

a) Eastern Eye is wrong and the CC is even more wrong.
Most likely. In attempting to maintain the aspect ratio they may have cropped even more.

Gigi M.

#77 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:29 am

TheGodfather

#78 Post by TheGodfather » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 pm

Received the set a couple of days ago. It`s a good looking set. Love the artwork and the transfers look really good.
I`m happy with it

HerrSchreck

#79 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:10 am

Gary's right about YOJIMBO being heavily darkened though. It black boosts details straight into the closet in some shots.

Otherwise a great set-- hadn't sat & watched these films since the old discs came out years ago. Such fun, and one of the most badass combinations of music and image. I love the score in YOJ. Reminds me vaguely of Kukuchiro's signature "theme" on the baritone sax in 7 SAMURAI.

tryavna

#80 Post by tryavna » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Damn you, Stephen Prince, and your compulsively listenable commentaries! You made me stay up too late last night listening to Sanjuro and oversleep this morning!

Actually, these two commentaries have restored my faith in commentaries in general. Over the past couple of months, I've come close to chucking my habit of listening to commentaries, especially after listening to a few clunkers (like the ones on The Passenger). But these really are excellent -- nice "close readings" of the visuals and very witty at times. So I guess I'm going to have to take back what I said earlier in this thread about wanting more variety between the two commentaries. Oh, Stephen Prince, how could I ever doubt you...?

BTW, in his commentary for Yojimbo, Prince claims that these two films were the only instances of Shimura playing a villain for Kurosawa. But couldn't we consider Shimura a villain in Bad Sleep Well? (It's actually been a while since I've seen that film, so I may not be remembering his character's background correctly there.)

colinr0380

#81 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:13 pm

tryavna wrote:BTW, in his commentary for Yojimbo, Prince claims that these two films were the only instances of Shimura playing a villain for Kurosawa. But couldn't we consider Shimura a villain in Bad Sleep Well? (It's actually been a while since I've seen that film, so I may not be remembering his character's background correctly there.)
He's not really a villian, but is not exactly sympathetic in The Idiot either.

Mr Sausage

#82 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
tryavna wrote:BTW, in his commentary for Yojimbo, Prince claims that these two films were the only instances of Shimura playing a villain for Kurosawa. But couldn't we consider Shimura a villain in Bad Sleep Well? (It's actually been a while since I've seen that film, so I may not be remembering his character's background correctly there.)
He's not really a villian, but is not exactly sympathetic in The Idiot either.
Nor in Red Beard.

As for The Bad Sleep Well, I wouldn't really consider him a villain any more than I would the Kamatari Fujiwara character, or hell, even Mifune himself.

manicsounds

#83 Post by manicsounds » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 pm

tryavna wrote:Damn you, Stephen Prince, and your compulsively listenable commentaries!
My only big problem with Prince.... his Japanese pronunciation is horrible.
the way he says Japanese words are 'off the page' without real knowledge of the sounds.

Otherwise, very nice to listen to. I'm surprised that he didn't mention about the 'sequel' Zatoichi vs Yojimbo in the commentaries.

Also, where was Yuzo Kayama? He isn't in the documentary and is barely mentioned in the commentary. Actually, where IS Yuzo Kayama? Disappeared off the face of the earth?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#84 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Yuzo Kayama performed at Carnegie Hall in 2005:

Yuzo Kayama, Vocalist

Kayama Yuzo (a little about how he was spending his time in 2005)

Mr Sausage

#85 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Otherwise, very nice to listen to. I'm surprised that he didn't mention about the 'sequel' Zatoichi vs Yojimbo in the commentaries.
I don't know if it really counts as a sequel. If I recall, the name Sanjuro is never mentioned, and 'yojimbo' is just Japanese for bodyguard. If I had to make a guess, 'Zatoichi vs Yojimbo' is a deliberately misleading title meant to cash in on an association with Kurosawa. I don't know what the original Japanese title translates into.

Steven H

#86 Post by Steven H » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:02 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:
I don't know if it really counts as a sequel. If I recall, the name Sanjuro is never mentioned, and 'yojimbo' is just Japanese for bodyguard. If I had to make a guess, 'Zatoichi vs Yojimbo' is a deliberately misleading title meant to cash in on an association with Kurosawa. I don't know what the original Japanese title translates into.
All the same, it would be interesting to *know* from a commentary that Toho was responsible for doing this sequel (spinoff?). Japanese film and television companies can take the idea of franchises to the Nth degree (see Zatoichi or Tora-san). I think it's even more important, and telling, that Mifune would stoop to being involved in the lowbrow (though certainly entertaining in some parts) Zatoichi series. A sign of the poor decisions to come.

The director of Zatoichi vs. Yojimbo, Okamoto Kihachi (who after pissing the studio off with Age of Assassins, and still after the huge success of Japan's Longest Day, had trouble getting to do what he wanted), and one of the main bones of contention during the shoot was who would win in the end, Katsu's Zatoichi or Mifune's Yojimbo (how telling to the true intentions). Another note about Okamoto, but he said in an interview that like Yojimbo, Zatoichi vs. Yojimbo is based on Dashiell Hammett short story (but couldn't recall the title.) He also said he wasn't interested in doing a Zatoichi film, but the great writer Hashimoto Shinobu called him up and said a student of his was writing this Zatoichi film, and he wanted him to direct it.

downrightindie

#87 Post by downrightindie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:57 am

I just picked these two up and WOW it was amazing. On the back of the box it says something like " one of the most entertaining films ever produced," that is no lie. Everything about Yojimbo is great. It has solidified my theory that Toshiro Mifune is the best Japanese actor in the 20th century. The musical score of Yojimbo is amazing as well. It goes perfectly well with the substance of the film, every time you hear it it gets your blood pumping. AMAZING.

oh yea, and Sanjuro was pretty good too

MilkManX

#88 Post by MilkManX » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:52 pm

I love both of these films. The setting and characters are flawless. The music and the speed of Mifune!

I always get a good laugh in Sanjuro when the other Samurai are following around Sanjuro like a caterpillar.

The last duel in Sanjuro is mesmerizing! Probably one of the best close dramatic stand-off's of all time.

aox

Re: 52-53 Yojimbo and Sanjuro

#89 Post by aox » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:07 pm

since these brilliant films were remastered for hi-def, is there any chance they are contenders for blu-ray anytime soon?

manicsounds

#90 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:50 pm

nah, not until after Toho Japan releases them in Hi-Def first, and so far there haven't been any announcements. Athough Daiei/Kadokawa will releases some Kurosawa Blu-Rays soon.

Jun-Dai
監督

#91 Post by Jun-Dai » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:51 pm

FYI, I don't know if anyone's linked to this, but there's a 130 MB .tiff 5K scan from the Yojimbo restoration in this thread at reduser.net. That should give you some sense of how much more detail the film can show. You have to use photoshop or your imagination to un-anamorphicize it.

Finch

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

#92 Post by Finch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Great selection of titles, especially for Blu though I wish they'd split Yojimbo and Sanjuro up. With Days of Heaven on the same day, my BR collection is rapidly expanding and all three titles are coming out just when I can afford a modified BR player. Excellent timing by Criterion!

aox

#93 Post by aox » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:09 pm

Mr Finch wrote: I wish they'd split Yojimbo and Sanjuro up.
Pretty sure they are split and you have the option to buy them together.

Finch

#94 Post by Finch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Might get Yojimbo after all. It's just that I've seen it twice and admired it more than loved it whereas Sanjuro is one of my three favourite Kurosawa pictures.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#95 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:13 pm

They are split up. $40 for each individually, or $70 for the two boxed together.

aox

#96 Post by aox » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 pm

swo17 wrote:They are split up. $40 for each individually, or $70 for the two boxed together.
you're quoting retail: they'll be a lot cheaper though in the real world for the blus.

ShellOilJunior

#97 Post by ShellOilJunior » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Indeed. Amazon should have the package for around $40.

I plan on getting both plus the excellent Bigger Than Life.

Matt

#98 Post by Matt » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Cash Flagg

#99 Post by Cash Flagg » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:11 pm

Beaver on Yojimbo and Sanjuro

kekid

#100 Post by kekid » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Looking at Beaver's screencaps, there is significantly more information on the left side of the BFI caps than the Criterion Blu Ray. This is unfortunate, because the Criterion image is clearly superior.