29 Picnic at Hanging Rock

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

29 Picnic at Hanging Rock

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:36 pm

Picnic at Hanging Rock

This sensual and striking chronicle of a disappearance and its aftermath put director Peter Weir on the map and helped usher in a new era of Australian cinema. Based on an acclaimed 1967 novel by Joan Lindsay, Picnic at Hanging Rock is set at the turn of the twentieth century and concerns a small group of students from an all-female college who vanish, along with a chaperone, while on a St. Valentine’s Day outing. Less a mystery than a journey into the mystic, as well as an inquiry into issues of class and sexual repression in Australian society, Weir's gorgeous, disquieting film is a work of poetic horror whose secrets haunt viewers to this day.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director Peter Weir and director of photography Russell Boyd, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
• One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
• Interview with Weir
• Program on the making of the film, featuring interviews with executive producer Patricia Lovell, producers Hal McElroy and Jim McElroy, and cast members
• Introduction by film scholar David Thomson, author of The New Biographical Dictionary of Film
• On-set documentary hosted by Lovell and featuring interviews with Weir, actor Rachel Roberts, and source-novel author Joan Lindsay
Homesdale (1971), a black comedy by Weir
• Trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• PLUS: An essay by author Megan Abbott and an excerpt from film scholar Marek Haltof's 1996 book Peter Weir: When Cultures Collide

Dual-Format
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
DVD
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Narshty

#2 Post by Narshty » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:21 am

Hanging Rock - revealed!!

That website has a summary of the final chapter of The Secret of Hanging Rock (it's a real book), an ill-advised extended version of the original novel that contains the final chapter that Lindsay originally and wisely decided to leave out. Needless to say, the "explanation" is an absolute shambles.

BWilson

#3 Post by BWilson » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:19 pm

I have not clicked the link, and a big part of me does not want to. Will reading this ruin the film and book for me forever?

Doctor Sunshine

#4 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:20 pm

Sasquatch ate them? WTF??

I think it's safe to read it. Although, if Criterion could get Peter Weir to shoot that ending it would make a great supplement if they rereleased this.

lord_clyde

#5 Post by lord_clyde » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:25 am

Hmm...bizarre.

Zumpano

#6 Post by Zumpano » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:30 pm

On the latest DVDTalk.com podcast/interview w/ Peter Weir, Mr. Weir commented that Criterion was looking into getting the rights to a documentary on the making of 'Picnic', that was perhaps available on some other region discs, for another Criterion "upgrade". I don't remember what the name of the doc was, but the interviewer commented that some felt that it was perhaps more interesting than the feature itself.

Rsdio

#7 Post by Rsdio » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm not sure that this is the ideal place to ask - it seems preferable to starting a thread for such a small question - but does anyone here have the Australian 2-disc reissue with the anamorphic transfer? I've bought a copy on eBay and after emailing the seller beforehand and being told that the box states '16x9 enhanced' the package has arrived and the box states no such thing, merely '16x9'. However it does say that 5.1 audio is included which I understand is only on the reissue as well? Obviously I could open the thing and probably deduce which version I have but I'm wary of doing that if I'm possibly going to have to negotiate a return. Can anyone shed any light on which version I've got here?

Person

#8 Post by Person » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:22 pm

The old non-anamorphic edition's box, states, "1.77:1 letterbox", so I would assume that you have the anamorphic edition. I still have the non-anamorphic box, but replaced the non-anamorphic disc with the German anamorphic disc, which was a hasty move. The audio on the German disc is inferior to the Australian DVD. I would go for the anamorphic Oz 2-disc if it weren't for the rumours of a Criterion remastered SE.

Rsdio

#9 Post by Rsdio » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Thanks for that but I seem to have outdone myself with bad luck here - it's actually a single disc edition that I didn't even knew existed. By the looks of it it's the first disc from the reissue with 5.1, presumably anamorphic and containing just a trailer as far as extras go. Bugger.

The cover wrongly states 5.1, there's only stereo and I'm not sure if the image is anamorphic although it looks very good either way. I think I'll be selling this on and trying again.

atcolomb

#10 Post by atcolomb » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:20 am

Rsdio wrote:does anyone here have the Australian 2-disc reissue with the anamorphic transfer? I've bought a copy on eBay and after emailing the seller beforehand and being told that the box states '16x9 enhanced' the package has arrived and the box states no such thing, merely '16x9'. However it does say that 5.1 audio is included which I understand is only on the reissue as well?
I have the Australian 2 disc which is anamorphic so i went and did a comparison with the Criterion version. The print on the Criterion is sharper while the colors on both are the same. Both versions have the same audio so overall i would pick the Criterion for the image even if it is not anamorphic and the Australian for the extras. I do hope Criterion will reissue this great movie!!

Nadsat

#11 Post by Nadsat » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:32 am

atcolomb wrote:I do hope Criterion will reissue this great movie!!
They will

Jeff

#12 Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:11 pm

It looks like Peter Weir may have jumped the gun:
Hi Jeff,

We are in the process of determining which Criterion titles are in need of a
rerelease, and "Picnic at Hanging Rock" has come up in discussion. However,
I am not aware of any current plans to rerelease that title. I hope this
helps, and thanks for taking the time to write in!

Sincerely,

Tamara

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:17 pm

That's shocking, it seems like this has been bandied about for re-release for as long as I've been reading this board.

Jeff

#14 Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:That's shocking, it seems like this has been bandied about for re-release for as long as I've been reading this board.
That interview podcast on DVDTalk radio is over two years old now, so I was beginning to wonder. Hopefully it will still happen at some point.

psufootball07

#15 Post by psufootball07 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:29 pm

After reading the "secrets" and the possible explanations across various websites, I feel that the audience is meant to not know. There is no solution given, or really any evidence of one. In my opinion, tragedy struck, but in what way, I feel as if I nor anyone does really expect to know anything, no matter how many times they analyze the book/movie. However, this technique makes the film that much more mysterious and tragic, yet beautiful at the same time.

kaujot

Re: 29 Picnic at Hanging Rock

#16 Post by kaujot » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:46 pm

I've looked around and not really found a good description of the difference between Weir's preferred cut (the only one I've seen) and the original theatrical release. Can anyone explain?

knives

#17 Post by knives » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Some of the scenes are longer and the Suspiria-esque feeling is more present.

kaujot

#18 Post by kaujot » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Ah, okay. So nothing major, then.

Feego

#19 Post by Feego » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:05 pm

kaujot wrote:I've looked around and not really found a good description of the difference between Weir's preferred cut (the only one I've seen) and the original theatrical release. Can anyone explain?
The major difference between the two versions is that the theatrical cut contains a subplot that develops the relationship between Michael (Dominic Guard) and Irma, the girl who is found. As knives said, some scenes are slightly longer, but what was trimmed from them in the director's cut is not very noticeable. It's the Michael-Irma subplot that makes most of the difference. Which version you prefer may depend largely on which you saw first. Having seen the theatrical version recently when I bought the R2 edition, I can say that the film works quite well without the subplot, but it has its merits too.

The R2 disc also contains the excellent documentary "A Dream Within a Dream," in which Weir discusses why he decided to do a director's cut, and actress Anne Lambert (Miranda) briefly discusses why she prefers the theatrical cut.

dad1153

#20 Post by dad1153 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Saw this a few months back. It's currently on amazon's poll about which of five titles under Criterion's label should be released on Blu-ray later this year (poll closes May 25th). Besides "Picnic..." the other candidates are "Au Revoir Les Enfants," "Down By Law," "Howards End" and "Kwaidan."

The first 30 minutes of this movie are some of the most hypnotic, beautiful, dramatic, scary and uneasy moments I have ever experienced watching a film. By giving the audience backstory text of what we've about to see (which is as phony as the one that opens "Fargo") every scene, every face, every line of dialogue and every sound (particularly Zamfir's panflute) gains significance and relevance that they wouldn't otherwise have because we think they might be the last we see/hear of the soon-to-be-missing Appleyard school girls. The slow-motion shots of Miranda (gorgeous Anne Lambert) make her a cross between a muse and a martyr to those that knew her which briefly includes us, the viewing audience, as participants. If Weir himself told me personally that aliens came down to Hanging Rock and took Miranda and her friends up to meet Bodicelli on a "Stargate"-type wormhole I'd believe him. The rest of the movie dealing with the aftermath of the girls' disappearance is OK (Margaret Nelson's Sara is particularly strong) but they feel like rethreads of the knockout opening half-hour.

BTW,
SpoilerShow
do I assume that Sara killing herself by falling from the roof of the school means that Mrs. Appleyard had a change of heart and was hiding the girl in the school's attic after she had told everyone else at school that Sara's father had showed up to pick her up?
Just wondering because this left me puzzled.

kaujot

#21 Post by kaujot » Sun May 31, 2009 3:28 pm

Ebert's original 1980 review is available online for the first time here.

Just for completeness' sake, here's his Great Movie review.

perkizitore

#22 Post by perkizitore » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Someone wants the world's longest DVDBeaver screencap comparison to be secure in its title

dad1153

#24 Post by dad1153 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Director's Cut on Blu-ray announced for July 26th (UK): http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1511 ... ource=9593. :?
Special Features:

'A Dream Within A Dream' - Making of
'A Recollection - Hanging Rock 1900' - Joan Lindsay interview
Hanging Rock and Martindale Hall - Then and Now
'The Day Of St Valentine' (first screen adaptation)
Audio Interviews
Stills and poster gallery
Scenes deleted for Director's Cut

perkizitore

#25 Post by perkizitore » Thu May 13, 2010 4:17 pm