536 The Thin Red Line

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DDillaman

Re: 536 The Thin Red Line

#201 Post by DDillaman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:18 am

Has anyone seen the reading list that's mentioned on the extras that was sent to actors before the shooting? I'd love to know what he recommended.

flyonthewall2983

#202 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:32 am

There may not be a 5 and a half hour cut of the film, but online I found the complete recording sessions for the score which oddly enough lasts about that long.

flyonthewall2983

#203 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:12 pm

La-La Land Records releasing a 4-CD version of the soundtrack, featuring all of the music in the film, alternate and extended takes, and the original soundtrack albums. The release is being dedicated to Nick Redman, who was present at the recording sessions.

JamesF

#204 Post by JamesF » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 am

JamesF wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:19 pm
The UK VHS - which I've still held onto after all these years - had a 30-minute making of documentary that is unfortunately missing from this. Mainly EPK fluff, and of course no sign of Malick, but even so, had some tantalising (if very brief) glimpses into a few deleted scenes.
A decade (!) later, with no sign of this appearing on any of the DVD or Blu-ray releases, or appearing anywhere online, I've finally pulled out my VHS and uploaded this making-of documentary to YouTube. The catch? The tape was copy-protected, so instead of transferring it to DVD, I had to film the VHS playing via my iPhone (with the sound of my dog occasionally wandering around in the background) and hand-stabilised the resulting footage. Until someone with the tape can crack the encryption and upload a better-quality copy, this will have to do!

BEHIND "THE THIN RED LINE"

hearthesilence

#205 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:11 pm

JamesF wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 am
JamesF wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:19 pm
The UK VHS - which I've still held onto after all these years - had a 30-minute making of documentary that is unfortunately missing from this. Mainly EPK fluff, and of course no sign of Malick, but even so, had some tantalising (if very brief) glimpses into a few deleted scenes.
A decade (!) later, with no sign of this appearing on any of the DVD or Blu-ray releases, or appearing anywhere online, I've finally pulled out my VHS and uploaded this making-of documentary to YouTube. The catch? The tape was copy-protected, so instead of transferring it to DVD, I had to film the VHS playing via my iPhone (with the sound of my dog occasionally wandering around in the background) and hand-stabilised the resulting footage. Until someone with the tape can crack the encryption and upload a better-quality copy, this will have to do!

BEHIND "THE THIN RED LINE"
Using a camcorder as an intermediate tape deck is a good way of getting around copy protection. Doesn't work every single time though and it's of course dependent on the camcorder (the ones that used the mini tapes seem to have the most luck).

flyonthewall2983

#206 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 am

Ed Norton was on Brian Koppleman's podcast last fall and he talked a little about meeting Malick and mulling over playing the role Jim Caviezel wound up doing. He seemed awed by the experience of just hanging out with Malick considering doing his first movie in so long, but family issues wound up preventing his involvement.