Abbas Kiarostami first came to international attention for this wondrous, slyly self-referential series of films set in the rural northern-Iranian town of Koker. Poised delicately between fiction and documentary, comedy and tragedy, the lyrical fables in The Koker Trilogy exemplify both the gentle humanism and the playful sleight of hand that define the directorâs sensibility. With each successive film, Kiarostami takes us deeper into the behind-the-scenes ârealityâ of the film that preceded it, heightening our understanding of the complex network of human relationships that sustain both a movie set and a village. The result is a gradual outward zoom that reveals the cosmic majesty and mystery of ordinary life.
- New audio commentary on And Life Goes On featuring Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa and Jonathan Rosenbaum, coauthors of Abbas Kiarostami
- Homework (1989), a feature-length documentary by Abbas Kiarostami, newly restored
- Abbas Kiarostami: Truths and Dreams, a 1994 documentary
- New interview with Kiarostamiâs son Ahmad Kiarostami
- New conversation between scholar Jamsheed Akrami and critic Godfrey Cheshire
- Conversation from 2015 between Abbas Kiarostami and programmer Peter Scarlet
- New interview with scholar Hamid Naficy